Stuck on new rifle caliber Go big or go home?

Damo450

hello everyone. I am getting another rifle that will be my long(est) big(est) rifle. I am stuck on caliber though. I have been going back and forth on this for two months now and think I have settled on the .338 Lapua. I like the round for availability and price of ammo compared to say a 338-378, and for the available rifles. Now, I keep going back to other rounds. I really threw in the towel a few years back on magnum rifles getting rid of my .338 win mag, 338 ultra, and .300 weatherby. But its seems to me that with Any non magnum rifle once you hit 500 yds the great equalizer kicks in on retained energy and velocity and High B.C.'s are really what keeps your rifle in the game. The same seems to go for magnum rifles once you get over the 210 gr mark on .30 mags and the 250 gr mark on .338's and the 275-300 gr .338's really take the cake. I just keep going back to:

The 30-06 (I know) with 190 gr VLD's

The 7mm (insert RUM, REM, STW, 28 Nosler) with 175-180 VLD's

Then .338 lapua with 300 gr VLD's

I know these are all horses of a different color. But my current bolt rifles are:

.220 swift, .257 Ackley, .280 Ackley

So I want to be able to run the wire to 800-1000 yds and still have fun doing it. While being able to at some point be able to confidently make the 600-800 yd hunting shot if it presents itself. I have a range set up in one of my bottoms to go to 1250 yds and a good concrete bench. Any advice is appreciated. I am hunter first and foremost. But my number one concern is the amount of shooting I will need to do and how magnum rifles just plain make that hard to do. Sorry for being long winded, but I prefer it called being thorough.

Thanks everyone.

If I wanted it to last awhile I'd build a 7rm, a 300wsm, a 300wm, a 30 Nosler, a 338 Norma,or a 338 Lapua. If you want all out performance look at a 28 Nosler, 7RUM, or 7-300 Norma Imp (if you don't mind a wildcat) with 180's or 195's, 300RUM or 30-338 Lapua Imp shooting 215's or 230's, or a 338 Lapua Imp. The RUM brass is probably the hardest to get and the 338 Lapua brass is the easiest.

Since you already have a 280AI, which is pretty close to a 7rm, I'd look at a .30 or .338.

Agree for your goals you don't need to completely break the bank. 7mm, .30 (I'd go with .308 over .30-06 look at history of 2 calibers and reasons military and match shooters swapped) and if you can afford the .338 go for it.

I also want to emphasize this will be a hunting rifle, not a bench gun for punching paper. So the idea of really limited ammo access is somewhat out of the question in regard to the really oddball wildcats. I really like the ackleys because I'm able to shoot standard ammo in a pinch. I just hate to waste money, time, my hearing, and money :cool: on a caliber that is more than needed.

What animals will you be hunting at 600-800 yards? Coyotes...deer...speedgoats...elk...moose...It could make for a big difference in recommendations.

With those stipulations I'd have a hard time not doing a 300wm. It's the most common .30 caliber magnum ever and components are generally fairly easy to come by. A 208 to 215gr bullet at 2900-3000fps will get the job done to 1000yds. Cost to run is considerably cheaper than a 338 with 300's and barrel life is pretty good.

Another option is a 30-06AI since you seem to like the 30-06 and are OK with Ackley's. It will get you to a step below the 300wm.

Why won't your 280 Ackly do what you are asking? 162 AMax at 3000 fps or even 160 Accubonds should easily fit the bill you described. To make a reasonable step up from the 280 AI you will probably want to jump to the super-mag level though you probably don't need to.------SS

With those stipulations I'd have a hard time not doing a 300wm. It's the most common .30 caliber magnum ever and components are generally fairly easy to come by. A 208 to 215gr bullet at 2900-3000fps will get the job done to 1000yds. Cost to run is considerably cheaper than a 338 with 300's and barrel life is pretty good.

If you're going to change this is where I'd start-but not until I ruled out the existing 280 AI wasn't going to get me where I wanted to be.

Since you already have a 280AI you might as well fill the niche and go big 338 Lapua. You can build one in the 10-12 lb range that's not bad to carry around. No limits with 338 with 300 grain bullets. Go with your gut and go big.

hello everyone. I am getting another rifle that will be my long(est) big(est) rifle. I am stuck on caliber though. I have been going back and forth on this for two months now and think I have settled on the .338 Lapua. I like the round for availability and price of ammo compared to say a 338-378, and for the available rifles. Now, I keep going back to other rounds. I really threw in the towel a few years back on magnum rifles getting rid of my .338 win mag, 338 ultra, and .300 weatherby. But its seems to me that with Any non magnum rifle once you hit 500 yds the great equalizer kicks in on retained energy and velocity and High B.C.'s are really what keeps your rifle in the game. The same seems to go for magnum rifles once you get over the 210 gr mark on .30 mags and the 250 gr mark on .338's and the 275-300 gr .338's really take the cake. I just keep going back to:

The 30-06 (I know) with 190 gr VLD's

The 7mm (insert RUM, REM, STW, 28 Nosler) with 175-180 VLD's

Then .338 lapua with 300 gr VLD's

I know these are all horses of a different color. But my current bolt rifles are:

.220 swift, .257 Ackley, .280 Ackley

So I want to be able to run the wire to 800-1000 yds and still have fun doing it. While being able to at some point be able to confidently make the 600-800 yd hunting shot if it presents itself. I have a range set up in one of my bottoms to go to 1250 yds and a good concrete bench. Any advice is appreciated. I am hunter first and foremost. But my number one concern is the amount of shooting I will need to do and how magnum rifles just plain make that hard to do. Sorry for being long winded, but I prefer it called being thorough.

Thanks everyone.
The 7mm Rem, STW, 300 win, rum, nosler will all do what you want to do at less than half the cost of shooting any of the big case .338's

I shoot the 7mm STW as my all time great love but I also shoot the 300wm and Rum a great deal as well.

For my first trip to Africa I shot the 300wm but next time around most likely will take the 7mm STW since I'm not so worried now about the possibility of getting separated from my ammo en route since I can put it in the same locked case with the rifles.

I will also take the .375 Ruger again as well for dangerous game.

Many choices will get you where you want to be but before you sink a bunch of money into one of the Rum or larger case magnums I strongsly suggest you find some guys that will let you shoot theirs.

Cannonitis is very expensive and if you aren't really pretty much immune to muzzle blast and recoil you are almost sure to find yourself trying to get rid of the cannon in short order and taking a huge bite to the wallet when you do. That is why there are so many of the cannons for sale "like new" "less than 100 rounds down the pipe" yada, yada, yada in the classifieds or on GB.

If you aren't over 250lbs I'd limit my choices to the WM or 7mm's because the big boys will pound you to the point it gets unpleasant pretty quickly.

The .280ai is more or less the same as the 7mm mag so you can't go there... Guess it's going to be a 30 something or other...well you can't go wrong with the 300wm or the new 30 Nosler...guess we'all hear lots more about the Nosler the rest of the year..it sounds promising.. Remember new rule #1...No brass = No sale. I think our reloading world is about to go some head scratching changes.

The .280ai is more or less the same as the 7mm mag so you can't go there... Guess it's going to be a 30 something or other...well you can't go wrong with the 300wm or the new 30 Nosler...guess we'all hear lots more about the Nosler the rest of the year..it sounds promising.. Remember new rule #1...No brass = No sale. I think our reloading world is about to go some head scratching changes.
Frank in the Laurels, I agree with your thoughts on the brass issue. And these have all been fantastic replies.

I've never pushed the 280 past 500 yds but know it's very capable beyond that. I was looking at putting more energy out there but must also admit I do NOT like brakes and all the rounds I am looking at (.338) require a brake. So I suppose the smart thing to do is get cozy with my ackley and load up some long 160's! My wallet will be very happy. I suppose if I don't go with another rifle I can invest in a Z8 scope for it. Haha!!

Also, the rifle would be primarily for Mule Deer, Elk, Moose. Thanks for all the great replies lots to the about.

My 13lb 338LM is quite unpleasant for me to shoot even with a DE 4 port brake to the point of I'm looking to get a filled stock to add weight and changing out the brake. If you want to go the 338 route I suggest build the rifle to come in around 15lbs. My cousins 19lb 338LM with a fat bastard brake recoils in line with my 243win maybe even less. My 300AX sends 200gr AB at 3380FPS it weighs 14.25lbs and is quite mild in recoil there is some slight muzzle blast from the pain killer brake towards the shooter nothing unpleasant. Noticible but not unpleasant. I'd look at the 30 nosler has a slight edge over the WM but not an extreme barrel burner like a RUM or 30-338LM improved. I'd build it to come in about 11lbs and put a pain killer brake on it

For every action there's an equal and opposite reaction !! You can only tame a rifle so much and you can only go so far...the weights your talking about 14+ lbs is more than anyone's idea of a carry rifle... The break will tame the recoil but it makes it louder than heck. If you want big power you got to choose a combination somehow, weight,break,cartridge..there's no way to take from one without affecting or having ASN effect on the other two...only you can pick your poison .

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.