Go Semi Custom or Go It Alone?

TORCHRIDER

OK, I want to build a long range hunting/target rifle on a Stevens 200 action I have.

Would I be happy with the accuracy if I build the rifle myself using off the shelf parts (e.g. trigger, barrel, stock, etc.) or should I go the route of a semi-custom gun (e.g. blueprint, open action, trigger, barrel, brake, stock, etc) ?

I figure I could build one for under $1000 myself or go with a semi-custom for $1500 - $2000.

Undoubtedly the custom gun would shoot better, but would I be disappointed in one I built myself, assuming I have the mechanical apptitude to do it?

Last edited:
I wouldn't say it is undoubtable the full custom would be better...screw on a nice pre-fit barrel, a good stock and bedding if the stock can utilize that, a good trigger, and you could have a heck of a shooter.

I have 3 semi- custom Savages I put together myself and one that I had profesionally built on a Savage Target action. They all shoot equally well in my hands, .3s to .6s @ 100 if I'm on my game. I have shot some low.2s with all of them, but not regularly. If the profesionally built one outshoots the others it will take a better shot than me to prove it.

Chris

i had a sendero 7mm ultra mag that i couldn't seem to get to shoot,after giving up I order a 7mm blank from brunos i had the reciever trued and chambered in 7mm rem mag. I should have done this 35yrs ago.I couldn't be happier now it shoots anything great,at least everything that I have tried so far.my personel best shot was today there was no wind dead calm I decided to shoot my steel trg 828yds there was a crow at 810 i dialed 1click of left for spin drift and 11.50moa up held dead on from cold bore dead crow wish i would have done this a long time ago. you won't be disapointed if done right. please don''''''''''t wait untill your as old as me to do it.have fun wichever way you decide to go,

Thanks Chase, but I may already be as old as you. :D

i had a sendero 7mm ultra mag that i couldn't seem to get to shoot,after giving up I order a 7mm blank from brunos i had the reciever trued and chambered in 7mm rem mag. I should have done this 35yrs ago.I couldn't be happier now it shoots anything great,at least everything that I have tried so far.my personel best shot was today there was no wind dead calm I decided to shoot my steel trg 828yds there was a crow at 810 i dialed 1click of left for spin drift and 11.50moa up held dead on from cold bore dead crow wish i would have done this a long time ago. you won't be disapointed if done right. please don''''''''''t wait untill your as old as me to do it.have fun wichever way you decide to go,

If you have some mechanical ability I think building a shooter is not that hard of a thing to do with the Savage, you need a couple simple tools and just assemble the components as instructed. Really the only thing that would maybe need to see a gun smith is putting a brake on if it had to be timed but that is about it. If you like to tinker doing it yourself is the way to go and I would not sell it short in comparison to a custom rig.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.