Stuck on new rifle caliber Go big or go home?

I'm fully aware 14+lb guns don't fit the idea of a carry rifle. That's why I was suggesting the 30 Nosler. One that weighs 11lbs sending 200gr bullets ~3200FPS with have 1/3 less the recoil compared to a 13lb 338LM sending 300grainers at 2700 granted that's unbraked according to the recoil calculator I used. Granted that's comparing the two with out brakes.

Personal opinion is, get a 338AI Lapua and if its built well the 338 standard rounds should give you desent accuracy out of the rifle. Shoot for 13 pounds with a 4 or 5 port break and wear ear plugs when shooting. Run the 285 Amax/300 Berger and now you have something that can do the 1000yrd +. I personally have a 300 RUM and trying to find brass sucks. All the Remington brass is gone. Now you are going to pay for the Nosler stuff and you just might as well have a 338 when paying for this. Price is about the same now. Or like most have said get the 300WM. Very good all around magnum that can do heavies as well as the light stuff for closer in or lighter animals. Its hard to beat the tried and true 300WM for performance, and cost effectiveness. Also I think you can shoot it a good amount with out destroying the barrel quickly. When the barrel is burned out of mine I will probably do a 7mm-300win mag or if I'm still crazy enough I will go to the 338 edge and just suck up the cost of the brass.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.