Strelok vs Applied ballistics

RemingtonShooter

Hi all

So trying trying to make a taper for a elk hunt next week.

Caliber is .277
Eldx 145 grain
.536 G1
2970 muzzle energy
Barrel 24 inch, 1/10 twist
1.5 scope height
Sight in elevation 2100ft
Hunting elevation 7500ft

They both return reasonably good results but are off .75moa at 200 and it grows from there. I know there is massive amount of other settings but they are both set up the same and are pretty different, especially beyond 400 yards. I have always used strelok and it has been good, but tried applied ballistics out of boredom. Big mistake. Any advice? Or suggestions? Pretty basic set up. AP has less drop than strelok btw…..

Nick

Hi all

Caliber is .277
Eldx 145 grain
.536 G1
2970 muzzle energy
1.5 scope height
Hunting elevation 7500ft

They both return reasonably good results but are off .75moa at 200 and it grows from there. I know there is massive amount of other settings but they are both set up the same and are pretty different, especially beyond 400 yards. I have always used strelok and it has been good, but tried applied ballistics out of boredom. Big mistake. Any advice? Or suggestions? Pretty basic set up. AP has less drop than strelok btw…..

Nick
Applied ballistics is good enough for the military and government work. Good enough for 2 mile shooting competitions too. Good enough for every serious team in PRS nationals. It's good enough for hunting.

I'm not putting down Igor's work, his strelok app works just fine, but AB really is king. This is become less opinion and more of a fact for the reasons I mentioned above.

I use both. I get funky results when I try my 6mmBR Norma in AB, so I use StreLok Pro for it. I have several rifles loaded in AB, and they work fine, and are spot on but for some reason I can't get good dope for the BR. I've been through the settings several times and have even read the operating manual a couple of times. I gave up on it and just went shooting and used S/L.
If I have a wide margin, say several MOA, between the two programs, I shoot the range and see what's closest. Kinda' time consuming but at least ya know.

Hi all

Caliber is .277
Eldx 145 grain
.536 G1
2970 muzzle energy
1.5 scope height
Hunting elevation 7500ft

Nick
I prefer Shooter myself I used to be an applied ballistics fan for several years but after changing I would not go back, Also some average temps and barometric pressure is in the area you would be hunting at that time of year will give you more precise info. One feature that instantly comes to mind with a plied is the option of buying a custom curve with Shooter I can build my own I run a 5BC solution with Shooter
BCBC12FA-7BF8-4449-9480-7F71B7751363.png

I have used both. They appear to each use the same basic algorithm(JBL) to calculate drop values. Given identical inputs for pressure, temperature, and humidity and all rifle/bullet parameters I have found they produce calculated drops within .25MOA out to 1350 yards. I have also tested the G7,and GeoBallistics for which the same holds true. This is observed when there are "no" values entered for wind. The drop and wind corrections begin to diverge between the programs when wind values, and other advanced features such as CE(at the longer ranges) are enabled. The AB treatment of aerodynamic jump as it relates to wind drift, and elevation/wind values may be different by as much as 1MOA(in my rifle.loads) as the range approaches 1000 yards. While I have gotten good results using the advanced features of the AB program, at the longer ranges calibration(BC, V) is necessary. From my experience, bullet/rifle dynamics are not standardized, and need to be tested. For hunting to 1000 yards, my practice and best results are produced by bypassing the advanced settings and wind entries, and I will mentally calculate values for wind corrections based on standard wind formulas, and actual field testing…

I have used both. They appear to each use the same basic algorithm(JBL) to calculate drop values. Given identical inputs for pressure, temperature, and humidity and all rifle/bullet parameters I have found they produce calculated drops within .25MOA out to 1350 yards. I have also tested the G7,and GeoBallistics for which the same holds true. This is observed when there are "no" values entered for wind. The drop and wind corrections begin to diverge between the programs when wind values, and other advanced features such as CE(at the longer ranges) are enabled. The AB treatment of aerodynamic jump as it relates to wind drift, and elevation/wind values may be different by as much as 1MOA(in my rifle.loads) as the range approaches 1000 yards. While I have gotten good results using the advanced features of the AB program, at the longer ranges calibration(BC, V) is necessary. From my experience, bullet/rifle dynamics are not standardized, and need to be tested. For hunting to 1000 yards, my practice and best results are produced by bypassing the advanced settings and wind entries, and I will mentally calculate values for wind corrections based on standard wind formulas, and actual field testing…
I can tell you will 100% certainty that AB is not JBM. Shooter however is AB lite.

Ballistic AE uses the JBM software.

Strelok like AB is also proprietary.

AB all the way, true it up for those guys getting variances, you need to true your Velocity out to around 600-800, past that start to true the BC. Real data doesn't lie and ballistics apps aren't gospel truth, they are trying to line the data up. You need to true them to match your rifle.

But I like AB better. If you want to try a different engine look at TRASOL

Interesting. I got into instructing shooting schools and had a pile of apps on my phone since students would have issues with set up. Having to sort it all out I got multiple apps to mess with and understand. Shooter, founded by litz, is the easiest to use IMO, but doesn't do aerodynamic jump or segmenting. Ab is pretty simple too and currently my fav for ELR. Stre is good but don't use it much. They all produce the same results for me. My Leica program does as well and it's very basic. If someone has issues with ab it has to be something in the set up profile in my experience.

The strelok allows for a multi step b.c. for what it's worth... The g1 or g7 curve may or may not match your bullet well at all ranges. By being able to change the b.c at certain velocity you can calibrate it. I was able to tune my .338 Lapua pretty well this way.

The retical bdc feature is nice for the close to mid range stuff.

That said I like shooter as well for some of my rifles.