BALLISTICS AE VS APPLIED BALLISTICS (applied seems to be high)

JD,

Your guy seems to be in direct conflict with AB which clearly indicates changes in wind direction can drastically affect vertical drop. It's very clear, winds coming from the left pushes projectiles down and winds coming from the right lifts projectiles up.

He also states ADJ is insignificant and is lost in group size. The data coming out of AB in some cases certainly will not be lost in group size. Anyone with a Kestrel Sportsman or Elite can play with numbers for a few minutes and see for themselves.

I have no dog in this hunt except I intend to find out if ADJ is a significant factor as AB indicates or if it is a gee whiz theory that muddies the water and should be ignored.

I have a perfect place and a perfect rifle cartridge combo to test ABs outputs. The place is a flat square mile of hay meadow that has just been mowed and baled. The wind comes predominantly from the South at pretty impressive speeds from time to time. The rifle Is a solid half minute shooter and I have a Polaris Ranger that can carry me to different shooting positions in a timely manner.

The rifle is a 6.5-284, the load is a flat base 85 grain Sierra humming along at 3500 fps. Sierra lists the G1 BC around .225. Any of you folks that have an AB program with an ADJ capability can play with the numbers and see that this load gets beaten up in a significant manner.

I am just a ******* hillbilly with limited mental capacity and have no real standing to question ballistic theories; however, I was blessed at birth with a discerning spirit and an insatiable appetite for the truth.

Sooo, here I am, once again , in yet another controversy.

Augustus

We might be brothers :)

I too want the absolute truth in this long range stuff. I will not stop till I find out what it is.

I can't wait till we hear your results.

I should be able to get it done in the next few days, I just need the conditions too be just right.

When we were baling the hay this year we had a couple of days of fairly high steady winds. We couldn't bale in Easterly or Westerly directions because the windrows were getting blown around too much. We ended up raking and baling North and South.

I could do it this afternoon but the wind don't seem to want to cooperate, it is changing direction and velocity too often.

If wind from 3 is making bullet rise would that be caused by the spin drift to the right. In spin drift bullets move up and to the right. If that is true is bullet spinning over wind giving more lift, and wind from 9 going over top cause bullet spinning under.? Trying to picture that in my head. Either way very interesting thread.

If wind from 3 is making bullet rise would that be caused by the spin drift to the right. In spin drift bullets move up and to the right. If that is true is bullet spinning over wind giving more lift, and wind from 9 going over top cause bullet spinning under.? Trying to picture that in my head. Either way very interesting thread.

This is how I visualize in my head as well. From 3 o'clock the leading edge of the bullet into the wind is climbing. While from 9 o'clock the opposite is happening.

Well, I'm still waiting for a stiff wind down here. The highest sustained wind we've had has been around 8 mph. I guess that is a good thing, it's dry as a powder house with temps above 100 F. High winds would scorch this place.

Anyway, I haven't forgotten. I will get it done when conditions get right.

Yes left or right wind will effect bullet trajectory.
Try to imagine you are shooting a bullet right now. With right hand twist barrel the bullet is spinning clockwise as you look at it flying away from you. Now mentally freeze that bullet in the air in front of you. Imagine it is ten feet in front of you frozen in the air not moving forward just spinning at a couple hundred thousand rpms. Kind of like some science fiction movie where the hero freezes the bullet on in front them.

Now imagine walking up to that bullet and pushing it with your finger from the right side. Keep in mind which direction it is spinning. It will want to climb up at the sam time pushing your finger down.

Now walk around to the other side of the bullets as it hovers there spinning like a drill bit. Push on the left side of the bullet. Remember which way it is spinning. As you push on it. It will want to push your finger up and itself down.

If you can get this mental imagery it should help you understand what a 3 and 9 oclock wind can do to a bullet. Wind is like your finger pushing on the bullet. Air might not have the same amount of fiction as your finger but it is enough.

Hope this helps you to understand

I understand the mechanics and have no doubt these forces contribute to ballistic solutions to some extent. I always believed the effects were minimal. In certain cases according to AB, the effects are brutal.

Anyway, even though there is not a designated function to disable ADJ solutions, there is a way to get around having to deal with it. Who knows, the solutions may be 100 percent correct in all cases and one would be stupid to ignore them.

We shall see.

This is a fascinating thread. I'm hoping maybe one of you guys that was going to do some actual shooting tests has been able to do so?

I did ask ballistic AE if they would update the program with the Aerodynamic jump. They said they put it on the list. We shall see

Recently I was fortunate to participate in a two day long range shooting class. I had my Kestrel 5500 without any ballistics software and Ballistic AE on my phone. I input all my kestrel data into my Balistic AE program and trued both my 6.5 Creedmoor and 300 WSM from 250 yards out to 1840 yards. For both of my rifles Ballistic AE was dead on all the way out to 1840 yards. There was literally zero wind on one of the mornings and we were able to see the effect of spin drift which was a first for me a pretty cool to see.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts