Shooter ballistic App vs Applied ballistics

upacreek

Question....I have used Shooter (app) for over 10 years. I understood way back then that Bryan Litz was the developer. Now I download Applied Ballistics and it appears to be an updated (less user friendly) version of Shooter. Does anyone have a preference between them? Is Bryan Litz associated with both?

Also I have looked at Hornady's 4dof and it seems complicated in some ways, yet lacks things like energy, velocity data at range. Which of the 3 would you guys recommend? I shoot steel to 1200yrds and big game at 700 and less.

It's like you said, Bryan Litz was the/one of developer/s of shooter and Applied Ballistics. Obviously AB is the major application that gets the most attention and has some of most features.

I'm partial to AB myself. I use their CDMs on the kestrel. It's really the way to go.

That said, I'm pretty sure if I remember correctly, 4dof indeed has data like energy, TOF and the such.

I have all 3. I prefer shooter due to the simplicity and interface. I prefer AB if dealing with a lot of wind dynamics due to the fact AB does aerodynamic jump (AJ) and shooter does not. AB has a few advanced features that is nice but I am not a big fan of the interface to user and my app sucks when it comes to coriolis effect data input. I talked to tech about it too, got nowhere. On shooter I can tap the section and it updates. My AB requires me to manually enter it. Very annoying. In the end, for simplicity I use shooter. I know the mathz/adjustment for AJ so I don't get too concerned about it especially since I deal with up and down draft/wind in the mountains anyway. I actually use my leica 3200's 99% of the time hunting and 1000 or less shots, AB or shooter for range time and running models to see effects.

I primarily use AB through my Kestrel. I do also have the Hornady app installed and have played with it. It definitely has the things you're saying it doesn't. For being a free app the Hornady one is pretty good. If I wasn't wanting to spend money on AB that's where I'd go, but I specifically bought the Kestrel for the firing solutions.

If I'm correct, Bryan Litz was a consultant for the Shooter App, but the Applied Ballistics App is one his company maintains. Same basic engine, but the shooter app hasn't had an update it quite a while.

That being said, I tried the Applied Ballistics app and didn't like the UI changes so deleted it and got a refund.

I have been messing around with the hornady one especially after listening to some of their podcasts. The concept of zero angle vs zero range is a little bit of a thing to get your head around.

Hunting I use a set of Vortex Fury ABs that have Applied Ballistics in them, which is why I got rid of their app. Managing my rifles data in 2 apps is a pain.

I use Shooter and Hornady 4DOF.

Shooter is more user friendly initially. However, once setup, 4DOF is just as easy to use and perhaps might be easier for just getting a solution to a shot.

4DOF does have the velocity and energy. It's part of the table feature of the app.

Question....I have used Shooter (app) for over 10 years. I understood way back then that Bryan Litz was the developer. Now I download Applied Ballistics and it appears to be an updated (less user friendly) version of Shooter. Does anyone have a preference between them? Is Bryan Litz associated with both?

Also I have looked at Hornady's 4dof and it seems complicated in some ways, yet lacks things like energy, velocity data at range. Which of the 3 would you guys recommend? I shoot steel to 1200yrds and big game at 700 and less.
I have an Sig 5000kilo that links really well to my kestrel 5700 elite. The kestrel uses AB and has a large bullet library where actual bullets were measured on doplar radar. It also lists energy, time of flight, how much of the solution was spin drift, coriolis effect, more info than I need but very cool. Very easy to setup and understand. Then all you do is turn them on and range your target and the solution is listed on both. I've been using this method for a couple of years and it still amazes me how accurate it is. First shot hits at 1200 yards and all the way in. The only time it is off is when I don't range the target well and get the background instead. It is challenging especially like on an antelope at 740 yards. But once I got it right the shot was dead on, so was the antelope.

Kestrel uses Applied Ballistics so, to answer your question? I would recommend Applied Ballistics. I have found it to be amazing.

I have both applied ballistics and shooter of the two I use shooter the most. Also shooter let me use multiple Bc's.