BALLISTICS AE VS APPLIED BALLISTICS (applied seems to be high)

What are the two others that will equal AB ?
Actually I'm probably only down to one which is Coldbore but the platform suxs so bad I don't even run it even though I have several hundred dollars into it. There is a Coldbore of shoot called Trasol that is being developed by DTA with input from Patagonia ballistics which will run on android platforms but it's new and has some small operational issues but the solutions are looking good.
AB on the Kestrel 5700 is incredible and we've been learning a lot watching the Kestrel setting out 50 yards in front of us following the wind, my wind calls tightened up immediately!!!

Last edited:
I have been hitting things a long way off for a very long time with these bad inputs, anyway thanks for the replies.

I have tinkered with the AB and have gotten the G7 drag model to match my proven stepped data out to 1760. I had to use a G7 of .360 to get it all to match.

At least now I will not need to keep stepping the G1 BCs anymore, (yippee!) I can set the wind value to zero to negate the ADBS if I need to.

This ABADBS has aroused my curiosity to the point I'm going to have to do some shooting over on the mile long prairie in some stiff winds.

I will come back here and eat some crow in public if it turns out the ABADBS is not BS after all.

The 85 grain flat base shot out of a 6.5-284 at 3500 fps is pushed around a bunch according to AB. If I can catch a 20 to 30 mph straight steady wind in the next few days I will see what happens.

It's really odd the effects on the 6.5 is nearly double that of a 22-243 52 grain Sierra at 4140. Both bullets have similar BCs.

A 308 175 SMK load weathers the storm pretty good according to AB. I haven't shot the 6.5 much but if the effects of AD is as protracted as AB indicates, shooting in even a shifting 10 mph wind at small targets without the aid of the appropriate ballistic program would be an exercise in futility. We will see.

I spoke to a very knowledgeable person about this stuff. It's called the Magnus effect.
It is REAL :)

So you have to decide if it's important for your dope, with some weapons it might only be a .1-.2 moa difference. From 3 o'clock to 9 o'clock wind. For me, I think every little item we learn gets you closer to perfect. So I will try and adjust for it, even though humanly at 1000 yards I can't really shoot an 1" or 2" to notice the difference

If theres a simple solution, Im in, but I also dont see it being " huge " for what I will ever do. Plenty of other stuff to do before I feel the need to correct out .1 or .2 moa at 1k.

In the case of the 6.5-284 I mentioned, in a 10 mph wind at 300 yds there is a difference of .6 mils from 9 to 3, that equates to about 6.5 inches. That folks is not insignificant. Speed the wind up to 20 mph and it gets crazy. Granted, the effects are not this drastic in rounds with high BC bullets and/or extremely high velocities.

Even for the mighty 375 Cheytac shooting SMKs, at 1000 yds in a 10 mph wind, AB shows a difference of .29 mils, that equates to a difference around 10 inches, again, a significant amount. Increase the wind to 20 mph, now the difference is .58 mils which equates to a difference of around 21 inches.

If AB is correct, no cartridge is exempt from significant effects of ADJ.

Ok guys my contact said he was busy and gave me a quick response so this was his second email, take it for what it's worth

Sorry, was in a hurry for my last response.

Yes, wind across the bullet shank will be able to change your drop, see Magnus effect from my previous. What will not happen is that it won't be different based on that effect with 3 or 9 o'clock wind. The change will be the same. FWIW, when you aim off to one side by some amount you've curved the bullets path, which is now longer and that means it'll take more elevation and time of flight to get there.

None of that matters day to day unless you're firing artillery. All of that kind of stuff is lost in group size and other environmental things. Besides that dealing with it requires an extremely accurate read of wind.

Don't buy into the "lost" in groups size idea, you'll find the better you do taking even the smaller effects into account the better your groups, if you just want to shoot large hunks of steel ts fine but if close does not cut it then its worth looking at the details. It also makes a difference when your tuning your ballistics, all the little things add up and you can easily tune your program to a condition which will be changing.

Here's some charts many of us have been using for a long time.
http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/handy-wind-charts-print-17648/

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts