Strelok Banned in USA

I had one uncle who was flying C-47's over The Hump (Himalayas) supplying the Chinese who were getting their butt's kicked by the Japanese. What we know now we should of let them and let the Germans roll over Russia. MacArthur and Patton were correct about that.... Anyway the flight was from India over the Hump to China and back. He got shot up by a Japanese fighter plane but made it to the airbase and crash landed. He died the next day after. This was before we declared war on Japanese. I was named after him. His brother, my other uncle was fighting the Germans in the Battle of the Bulge and a morter landed next to him. Blew off part of his forehead. He had a metal plate in head, glass eye and almost completely deaf. He was in the hospital in a comma for many months but came to. He died when in his mid eighties. We had some tough SOB's back then.

"If you point your bullets, then you're changing the dynamics that was originally set by the manufacture. That's a you problem," "

You just made the point yourself.
BTW show me where you get the 1880s model from.
According to questions I asked Igor about a long time ago he said strelok pro is based as close as possible to a 6 dof solver. Which is why you can input custom aerodynamic jump.
Again, you're trying to "gotcha," but you're not listening. Are you going to live fire with doplar your pointed bullets? Lol that's my point. Not YOU modding your dope.

Again, I'm not playing the "where's your source" game. On the internet, even if you win, hardly anybody will concede, and most of these calculators results are within .1 of a mil. Most of them are similar in their make up.

There's a decent circle of ballisticians, who share and put out solver information. There are very few solvers that do not use point mass. Professor Pejsas model is one of them. It's most commonly known in the military's coldbore. 3dof solvers like AB is more along the Arthur McCoy 1950s ballistics, however the AB team has heavily modified it. Hornady's solver is a modified point mass solved, so is AB. They take these Dopplered bullets and add it to the library. There's a reason they only use certain bullets in their 4dof library. I'm already getting bored with this so, if you want to read about the DOFs here's a start, but Strelok is not 6dof. https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/ballistic-apps-3dof-4dof-6dof.6814466/

There's dozens of papers by multitudes of people in the industry, and if you go to enough conventions and such, you'll meet them in person and get addition supplemental information.

You'll have to explain the significance of 6dof to the class. Something like AJ is what? .5 mil vertical dope at best? If it's already being accounted for in a 4dof system, what are you gaining by randomly changing numbers to line up with your dope…that's not calculator accuracy, that's just you truing your dope. AJ is pretty linear math, the whole point of having it in 6dof would be so you wouldn't have to mess with it, especially in the extreme, where it's often use in a more of indirect fire weapons.

All these solvers have their twist on what they think is "best."

Well I gave you my source. Strelok isn't the only one using 6dof. Lapua is also.
You have your preference that's fine. But you jumped onto my comment on your tangent without knowing what strelok is or what it is actually capable of.
And again like I said ab is great because it's easy but easy doesn't make something the best.
Ab is extremely stripped down and as you stated uses 3 dof.
Strelok is much more advanced using 6dof, has way more features, is far more customizable, uses CDM, multi bc or single bc whatever is your choice, corrects for eotovis, Coriolis, Magnus, and you can adjust vertical drift(aero dynamic jump) (because as you said real world is all that really counts) plus allows connection to more wind stations types, has nearly every reticle known to man, has multiple types of calculators, can build out multiple target lists, includes all of Lapua lidar CDM data, has a far better UI and far better reticle UI, costs 1/4 of ab, can manually enter mv vs temp with multiple inputs (the fury hd version of AB has this also), can calculate correction for your rifle laying 90 degrees on its side, can calculate holdover correction with turrets dialed to "x", can give you holdover when dialed to "x" and on "x" power with SFP scopes.
The list goes on
The only thing that ab has over Strelok is more available CDM without doing homework.

If this has been posted, my apologies.
I recently saw Strelock available on Amazon for about 12 bucks or so.
I make no claims on being the "go to guy" with this app, but it has served me quite well with everything from 22 rimfire to subsonic 300 blackout to all my centerfire needs. There's certainly a good chance for more advanced apps out there, but I'm still learning all this apps capabilities. So...for me...what's the point.

I had friends and a dad that were in world war 2. My dad was in the Navy and serviced as a weatherman. 3 men were in the army and 1 was with the tanks that went in at Battle of the Bulge. 1 was airborne. Not sure what Div he was in. He jump in Normady and other places too. he had brought home a thompsons and a german Machine gun. Never said anything about it until now. He's been long dead and gone. The tanker was buck sergeant. He told me that he was given orders to tanke 35 pensioner to the POW camp. Be back in 15 minutes. The POW camp was 45 miles away. He was back in 15 minutes. My dad die at age 60 from lung problem from the shipyards at :Long Beach. He was station there for 18 months. Work for Kaiser welding on ships durntng that time. He would be on board ship for 24hrs, and off for 24hrs. He would weld for about 18 hrs of that time. It killed him in the long run. All of them were good men and work hard after the war. I had a cousins that was in 1 & 2 in the navy. One ship shot out from under him. He had one arm about 2" shorter than the other.
No I don't think they would like what's gong on today.
Mike, I think it was the 82nd. and possibly some British paratroopers too as well as the little dummys that jumped behind the lines at Normandy the morning before D-Day. Sorry, not trying to steal the thread.

So, what's a good replacement app for Strelok. I currently have Strelok, and like it, but sounds like I need to find another. Something not too complex or complicated, but one that supplies me with enough information.
Applied Ballistics, or Ballistic AE for Iphones.

Well I gave you my source. Strelok isn't the only one using 6dof. Lapua is also.
You have your preference that's fine. But you jumped onto my comment on your tangent without knowing what strelok is or what it is actually capable of.
And again like I said ab is great because it's easy but easy doesn't make something the best.
Ab is extremely stripped down and as you stated uses 3 dof.
Strelok is much more advanced using 6dof, has way more features, is far more customizable, uses CDM, multi bc or single bc whatever is your choice, corrects for eotovis, Coriolis, Magnus, and you can adjust vertical drift(aero dynamic jump) (because as you said real world is all that really counts) plus allows connection to more wind stations types, has nearly every reticle known to man, has multiple types of calculators, can build out multiple target lists, includes all of Lapua lidar CDM data, has a far better UI and far better reticle UI, costs 1/4 of ab, can manually enter mv vs temp with multiple inputs (the fury hd version of AB has this also), can calculate correction for your rifle laying 90 degrees on its side, can calculate holdover correction with turrets dialed to "x", can give you holdover when dialed to "x" and on "x" power with SFP scopes.
The list goes on
The only thing that ab has over Strelok is more available CDM without doing homework.
Your source is the app developer. Hardly unbiased or independent. I'm not giving a source because it doesn't matter, you're going to believe whatever you want clearly, and my sources are the people who make these apps or the engineers behind it, independent testers, public information, private information, I even know the company that publishes the radar data for these solvers. Hint, Lapua gets it from the same people everyone else does. They just add more stuff into computation,

That said, Lapua 6dof doesn't even work. Best I can tell. Doppler data on their specific bullets is probably modeled with 6dof with that extra computation, but the solvers math is more or less the same. Or, Bryan Litz is right and there's hardly any gain if any. Lapua has been out since, 2016? They've had time to improve it, debug it, etc, but it still has hardly any users, a crap interface, and poor reviews, some which I have verified.

Again, you'll have to put out more than the developer just saying something or advertising something.
All the other features are fluff that other apps do too.

The only other 6dof modeling software other than Lapua is PRODAS, which is not really a ballistic solver tool.

Your source is the app developer. Hardly unbiased or independent. I'm not giving a source because it doesn't matter, you're going to believe whatever you want clearly, and my sources are the people who make these apps or the engineers behind it, independent users, public information, private information, I even know the company published the radar data for these solvers. Hint, Lapua gets it from the same people everyone else does. They just add more stuff into computation,

That said, Lapua 6dof doesn't even work. Best I can tell. Doppler data on their specific bullets is probably modeled with 6dof with that extra computation, but the solvers math is more or less the same. There's hardly any gain if any. Lapua has been out since, 2016? They've had time to improve it, debug it, etc, but it still has hardly any users, a crap interface, and poor reviews, some which I have verified.

Again, you'll have to put out more than the developer just saying something advertising something.
All the other features are fluff that other apps do too.

The only other 6dof modeling software other than Lapua is PRODAS, which is not really a ballistic solver tool.
Whatever dude. Have fun crapping on comments and hijacking threads.
I get it your a fan boy with ego issues.
Best part here is you will never really understand what this picture is or how to gleam the data
Screenshot_20230503-172521.png

Last edited:
Whatever dude. Have fun crapping on comments and hijacking threads.
I get it your a fan boy with ego issues.
Says you. Again.

I've been talking about solvers in general, and the differences between them all.

You've been romantically talking about strelok this whole time. Hence why I've repeatedly said I didn't not want to make this a "this is better than that" thing.

I hijacked and crapped on your comments that were hijacking and crapping on others with complete nonsense.

Well. If ab can provide the code and architecture of the app before people pay for it or give a free trial period it's all hoopla. People been using strelok for years and know it works for what they want to do and a big thing is they are familiar with it instead of trying something new.

Says you. Again.

I've been talking about solvers in general, and the differences between them all.

You've been romantically talking about strelok this whole time. Hence why I've repeatedly said I didn't not want to make this a "this is better than that" thing.

I hijacked and crapped on your comments that were hijacking and crapping on others with complete nonsense.
Interesting opinion you have there.
And I'll state it again
AB is easier. It is not "better" IMHO
Obviously not your opinion.
And again I use both they are really the only two I use any longer (still like ballistics field tactical version but hey that ipod days)
I get that you like to pick an app, buy a profile and shoot with very little thought put into it and that's fine. Most people are looking for just that.
But strelok is an entire tool kit of things you do not get with AB. Ab is a modern basic solver with CDM capabilities that is all it is.
With knowledge, proper inputs and homework strelok will and does out preform AB because it has more user inputs to assume a prediction.
And again with ab you cannot correct the CDM if it's not matching real world results. You can only kind of correct the transonic zone with a factor. This isn't CDM correction.
One nice thing about ab is that if you are lucky enough to get to one of their mobile labs you can have them do your homework for you. Because ab is easier not better

I use "shooter" and "lapua ballistics" apps. Probably isn't very difficult to copy the strelok app that's on a phone already and install on a different phone as long as your careful of operating system versions. Pulling strelok off the app store really only keeps the Ukrainians from having easy access to it though.
Yup it probably does affect the Ukrainian snipers. They were using it very heavily.
Kinda a side note about two months ago on the strelok Facebook page there were some people asking if it could be used to predict point of impact beyond line of sight.
Then there are several claims (even here) that brings up the possibility of Russians using it for artillery. Seems as though a modern army like Russia would have their own solvers for their troops though

I really don't understand the nuances of the different ballistic aps, but I'm thinking, why would Russia or Ukraine spend money that they've been trying to save, to develop software when they can just use an app as cheaply as they can with Streloc?

Recent Posts