Storing With Suppressor On vs Off

Do you believe that a silencer is filled with some special chemical that makes it work? And this special chemical attracts water?
A silencer doesn't use anything in it that makes water drawn to it.
While in Vegas I was shooting a silencer equipped rifle, and it is the simplest thing in the world. No wizardry, no chemicals, nothing like that at all. Actually the only thing that surprises me is why people don't make their own. Some basic fabrication skills, a few tools, and go for it. I was amazed at how simplistic they are, not how complex.
In the Norma Reloading Manual Vol 2 there is an interesting section on the composition of smokeless powder. It is written by Sven-Eric Johansson, Eurenco/Bofors.

Within this section is explained the manufacturing of Ball and Extruded powder, the effects of heat plus the effects of relative humidity.

From page 110 I quote "When the powders burn, the main reaction products are carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide, water and nitrogen".

Water is the second highest reaction product after carbon monoxide.

For those interested I do recommend buying a copy of this book.

So @Small Lady no "special chemical", just the chemicals most of us are aware of.

In the Norma Reloading Manual Vol 2 there is an interesting section on the composition of smokeless powder. It is written by Sven-Eric Johansson, Eurenco/Bofors.

Within this section is explained the manufacturing of Ball and Extruded powder, the effects of heat plus the effects of relative humidity.

From page 110 I quote "When the powders burn, the main reaction products are carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide, water and nitrogen".

Water is the second highest reaction product after carbon monoxide.

For those interested I do recommend buying a copy of this book.

So @Small Lady no "special chemical", just the chemicals most of us are aware of.
Are the carbon monoxide,carbon dioxide, nitrogen and water not present any other time? I have taken your opening statement and following statements that these elements are only present when using a suppressor or am I not following you correctly. All of those elements are in the air we breathe.

I still cannot see how these suppressors attract water, and rust barrels.
I sent this video to my friend who is a chemical engineer, and asked her opinion about this increasing barrel rust.
Her reply was "no".
I don't have a fancy place to store my guns, and they get used outside in the rain, on ATVs and horses in all weather, and through the mud, water crossings etc.
At night I bring it in, wipe it off with a towel, and store it in the corner of my cabin. My cabin doesn't even have insulation, and has lots of big gaps where I can see daylight through they are so big, so its often humid inside.
All i do is throw some silica around the floor area by where they lean against the wall, and my barrels are not rusty.
Then i texted my friend who lives in Vegas, owns 27 guns, and 8 have a suppressor. Asked him if he tskes them off whe not shooting, so his gun barrels don't rust while being stored. His response "Why would my barrels rust any more with a suppressor than without? I don't follow your question ". So i wrote him back explaining this thread, and some of its comments. He called me about 2 minutes later laughing, and said in his opinion as an avid gun fan, and from a family full of gun fans, that nobody has ever so much as mentioned to him that they could make a barrel rust. He did think it was funny though.
It just seems illogical to me that they will rust your rifle barrel if left on.
They also get very hot when fired, so would quickly boil out any moisture that may have been created by shooting.
That's a lot of flame, and heat.
Water doesn't stand much chance inside of a suppressor.

Are the carbon monoxide,carbon dioxide, nitrogen and water not present any other time? I have taken your opening statement and following statements that these elements are only present when using a suppressor or am I not following you correctly. All of those elements are in the air we breathe.
It makes no difference if you have a suppressor on or not. Even if you just burnt some powder in a fireproof container those compounds would still be produced.

It makes no difference if you have a suppressor on or not. Even if you just burnt some powder in a fireproof container those compounds would still be produced.
Without burning any powder at all those elements are present in our atmosphere. So how does leaving a suppressor on cause damage if these elements are already present?

Screenshot_20231120-145644_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
Here is the care instructions from Kaimai Rifle Suppressors who make suppressors here in New Zealand.
Scroll down to bullet point 7 and read what they found. This is also a common problem in the UK.

I find it amazing no one has any poi shift. Not a single can owner in this thread. Not a smidgen. We can break seals, take stuff on and off and doesn't make a difference. Now if your not stretching it, fine, but details matter the longer you go.

View attachment 512382Here is the care instructions from Kaimai Rifle Suppressors who make suppressors here in New Zealand.
Scroll down to bullet point 7 and read what they found. This is also a common problem in the UK.
Yes any time you have an ambient temp and then introduce a substantial different temp you will get condensation. So I can see where there may be a small temporary collection of condensation but with as hot as my suppressor can get it dries quickly. Interesting conversation 👍. I can definitely see why the suppressor companies would say to remove it, it releases them from any liability

Apparently the obvious, you don't clean after shooting. The supressor comes off when I clean. I'm not sure of any can that folks can push a patch through.