Storing With Suppressor On vs Off

safeskies

I'm building three hunting rifles and intend to use them all suppressed. Until I get more cans, they will all use my SilencerCo Hybrid in direct thread.

If I'm getting ready for a hunt, do I want to go out of my way to not touch the suppressor on the gun I intend to use (e.g. keeping it on during storage/transport and not swapping guns) in an effort to not mess with the POI… or is that just paranoia and they hold true taking the can on and off?

Storing your rifle with the suppressor on is a recipe for a disaster. The gases and residue in the suppressor attract moisture which eventually ends up in the barrel causing it to rust and pit.

Here in NZ we have been using suppressors for 40 odd years and it is well known that storing with it on never ends well.

I'm building three hunting rifles and intend to use them all suppressed. Until I get more cans, they will all use my SilencerCo Hybrid in direct thread.

If I'm getting ready for a hunt, do I want to go out of my way to not touch the suppressor on the gun I intend to use (e.g. keeping it on during storage/transport and not swapping guns) in an effort to not mess with the POI… or is that just paranoia and they hold true taking the can on and off?
I always take the suppressor off after shooting. No issues with POI.

That's great news! I had a friend give me some bad advise, but to his credit, he's not into precision shooting at all so was apparently guessing on a few points. Sounds like I don't have to worry at all and actually shouldn't store it with the can on. Great to know! Thanks!

Storing your rifle with the suppressor on is a recipe for a disaster. The gases and residue in the suppressor attract moisture which eventually ends up in the barrel causing it to rust and pit.

Here in NZ we have been using suppressors for 40 odd years and it is well known that storing with it on never ends well.
Never heard of that. I've been keeping suppressors on a couple rifles for a couple years and haven't had any problems that I know of.

Interesting. Had not heard that, but makes sense, at least with carbon steel barrels.. seems like a non-issue with stainless, at least when stored in areas with low humidity.

Last edited:

I cannot imagine owning a can that changes poi after removing and installing. I would think it will index right back to where it was during sight in. I only have 2 cans and they never shift. In fact I can swap cans and use my zero without making any changes.

As far as storage, no issue, but keep in mind all that carbon in the can will set up a little over time and make it harder to remove. Beyond that, I never mess with removing etc and have no issues.

Not only do I store mine off, I carry it in my back pack while I hunt. I hunt horseback and rifle with suppressor won't fit in scabbard. I will take mine on and off several times a day during a hunt, no issues of POI change.