Stocks vs. Chassis

Probably the best explanation I could get. I don't plan on doing PRS with it, but that could change. I've been told it is addicting, and if I attend an intro to PRS course, I will get hooked. I think I'll get another McMillan or try a Manners for this build, and if I decide to dabble in PRS, then I'll have an excuse to build yet another rifle.
Check out the XLR chassis and you will not be let down. I find that the Manners stocks with the vertical grip feels very similar the the chassis. At the same time though, the chassis is going to be more rigid and not require bedding. With that being said you can get a magnesium chassis and carbon buttstock that will keep you below 2 lbs but if you want to configure that same chassis to 8 lbs you can do that too (different buttstock and some weights). They are universal compared to any other stock!

A standard stock can also be fit to the shooter as you are ordering it for you so you order your LOP and set up like you want it. I order my stocks to fit me and don't need to adjust anything. It's not that I have anything against chassis but I don't want the OP thinking some things are only available in a chassis. Adding weights is the only thing that is easier in the chassis.

Also again, with the mini chassis you do not have to bed the stock. They also make a folding versions.

but I see the majority of long range shooters using chassis systems now.
I think it has to due with the stiffness of a chassis. Metal stocks are very stiff, more stiff than fiberglass or carbon. This causes less flex under recoil. Add that to the fact that the action is basically bolted to the metal chassis and flex basically becomes a non issue. A lot of f-class shooters use laminated wood stocks these days because laminated wood flexes less that composites too. Plus you get the nice feel of wood on your hands and face instead of metal and plastic.

I love a vertical grip and feel of a chassis. I don't like the poor ergonomics of a trad stock. It begs a shooter to do things you shouldn't for long range precision. I can shoot trad stocks just fine but handling a chassis is very intuitive for me. I also enjoy the configurability of a chassis. Setting up for the shooter, folding options, arca rails for use of tripods etc is absolutely perfect for hunting for me.

MDT HNT26. Carbon fiber doesn't feel cold.

Attachments

• 20211208_135429.jpg
    20211208_135429.jpg
    522.1 KB · Views: 80
  • 20211010_134643.jpg
    20211010_134643.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 78
For me it depends on the gun's purpose.
All my hunting guns have traditional stocks (wood and synthetic).
My match rifles have both stocks and chassis.

I shoot NRA HighPower competition and an (quickly and easily) adjustable stock is a huge asset when shooting standing, sitting and prone within minutes of each other. I need a different length of pull for each stage to get the best possible hold.

My match rifles currently have McMillan A5, McMillan A3, and American Rifle Company XYLO chassis.
I don't like chassis with AR style pistol grips on a bolt gun. I've owned them and put thousands of rounds down range with them, but in rapid fire stages I get back on the gun faster and more smoothly with a grip like those on the A3/A5/XYLO.

For hunting, I don't sit in a blind or in a stand....I sit for a while, then I usually like to still hunt. If I'm on public land that is new to me, I'm usually moving very quickly trying to get the lay of the land, and see where there is and is not game sign. A chassis rifle would be fine if I was just sitting watching a large field from a blind, but when you're moving constantly while hunting, you've got your hands on a cold aluminum heat sink. One winter I practiced outside with my Eliseo RTS Tube Gun a couple times in 20 deg weather....my left hand and face got so cold from being against the aluminum...it was horrible. This is what's keeping me from buying one of those little Sig Cross rifles.

Also, as a couple data points. Most F-class and Benchrest shooters use stocks...weird custom stocks, but stocks. PRS shooters are pretty well split between stocks and chassis. My point is....both can shoot well.

Choose what you like the look of, the feel of. Also, don't be afraid to buy a used stock or chassis just to try it....if you don't like it you can usually sell it for what you paid, less shipping.

Good luck,
Ross

I shoot NRA HighPower competition and an (quickly and easily) adjustable stock is a huge asset when shooting standing, sitting and prone within minutes of each other. I need a different length of pull for each stage to get the best possible hold.

My match rifles currently have McMillan A5, McMillan A3, and American Rifle Company XYLO chassis.
I don't like chassis with AR style pistol grips on a bolt gun. I've owned them and put thousands of rounds down range with them, but in rapid fire stages I get back on the gun faster and more smoothly with a grip like those on the A3/A5/XYLO.

For hunting, I don't sit in a blind or in a stand....I sit for a while, then I usually like to still hunt. If I'm on public land that is new to me, I'm usually moving very quickly trying to get the lay of the land, and see where there is and is not game sign. A chassis rifle would be fine if I was just sitting watching a large field from a blind, but when you're moving constantly while hunting, you've got your hands on a cold aluminum heat sink. One winter I practiced outside with my Eliseo RTS Tube Gun a couple times in 20 deg weather....my left hand and face got so cold from being against the aluminum...it was horrible. This is what's keeping me from buying one of those little Sig Cross rifles.

Also, as a couple data points. Most F-class and Benchrest shooters use stocks...weird custom stocks, but stocks. PRS shooters are pretty well split between stocks and chassis. My point is....both can shoot well.

Choose what you like the look of, the feel of. Also, don't be afraid to buy a used stock or chassis just to try it....if you don't like it you can usually sell it for what you paid, less shipping.

Good luck,
Ross
All valid points that I agree with. I think I'm going to get another A5 or possibly an A3. Definitely not opposed to a used stock if I can find one for my Tenacity action.

Good luck,
Ross

This 👆
All depends on the stock's purpose and how you hunt. I built a hunting rifle with a Manners T2A and it was great when I was sitting in my blind or shooting at the range. When I was carrying it up and down hills it was horrendous. It just didn't carry well for me. I prefer a chassis on my comp guns because of the features and adjustability. If you can borrow a friend's chassis rifle, take it on a simulated hunt and see how you like it.

All valid points that I agree with. I think I'm going to get another A5 or possibly an A3. Definitely not opposed to a used stock if I can find one for my Tenacity action.
It's easy getting caught up with others do and think. For me, I don't care what bench rest etc do. I've shot bench, prs, and lrp. I did all this to be a better hunter. I use what I like and feel the most comfortable with. That did take a little time tho and it's all personal preference in the end. Once I switched to a chassis for PRS, I quickly realized that is tied closely to hunting positional shooting, I was hooked on how flexible the chassis feels in that realm to me. However, will that float your boat? Only way to find out is to spend some time with one. I hunt wolves all winter and wouldn't give up my "cold" chassis for any reason. This photo is right after I shot a wolf at 515. They sell gloves...... heh heh

PRC wolf positional.jpg

It's easy getting caught up with others do and think. For me, I don't care what bench rest etc do. I've shot bench, prs, and lrp. I did all this to be a better hunter. I use what I like and feel the most comfortable with. That did take a little time tho and it's all personal preference in the end. Once I switched to a chassis for PRS, I quickly realized that is tied closely to hunting positional shooting, I was hooked on how flexible the chassis feels in that realm to me. However, will that float your boat? Only way to find out is to spend some time with one. I hunt wolves all winter and wouldn't give up my "cold" chassis for any reason. This photo is right after I shot a wolf at 515. They sell gloves...... heh heh

View attachment 329157
What chassis is that?

If you are looking for Chassis check out MPA. These were designed for PRS, but GREAT for shooting. Phil Cashin the owner listened to hundreds of shooters for years and then implementing the ideas into the design of MPA Chassis. MPA also make their own Barrels MPA/Spencer. 3/8" guarantee on most rifles. I have shot and seen a lot of MPA "One Holers".

Last edited:
I got used to shooting a chassis after getting into PRS competition and becoming familiar with the ergonomics and versatility. Initially weight was an issue with chassis systems, but newer designs are getting closer to the synthetics. I still prefer the feel of a conventional stock for mostly carry/hunting but for mostly stand/hide hunting I like the chassis.
Same barreled action, chassis and McMillan A3 in my 300WM. Accuracy is identical in each. Also shown my 6.5x284 with an MPA light chassis.
9018528C-AB02-4252-A3ED-B5430A35C9C4.jpeg
D58961D3-C780-47E4-8EA8-AFB196D5AD51.jpeg
D787B831-1B53-43EC-8160-BF5BABA17F25.jpeg