Manners vs McMillan stocks

dmax1800

I'm having some accurizing work done on my Rem 700 22-250. It has a sporter barrel and what some people call a "plastic milk jug" or "tupperware" stock. I'll be using it as a carry rifle and a "call'um up" coyote rifle with shots from 50 to 300 or 400 yards. If the accurizing work doesn't get me the accuracy (.5 to .625") I'm looking for, I'm considering putting on a custom barrel, #4 or #5, and a new stock.

One gunsmith recommended either a Manners or McMillan stock. I've looked at a Manners MCS T and a MCS EH-2 as well as McMillan sporter Rem varmint and M40A1 HTG. A person at Stocky's stocks said any of these 4 would work just fine. I've done the searches on this forum and on other forums and both brands are highly regarded.

The Manners stocks come with an aluminum chassis and IMHO the McMillan appearance is a little better.

Other than personal preference, can you help me decide on a stock???

Those 4 are all excellent choices and I don't think you could go wrong with any of them.

But, if you would like, as an option, something a fair bit less expensive I'd suggest looking in the classifieds for a short action HS Precision take off stock. They can usually be found for around $225ish in near new condition. All of them will need to be at least skim bedded so that part would be a wash.

I've had both and both are very nice. But I prefer the finish of the Manners, it is much more durable. The McMillian chipped around sharp corners, like the barrel channel and the opening for the bottom metal. I think the HS stock is also a good value. After trying several manufacters and styles, i have replaced all my stocks to either a MCS-T or HS. For best accuracy, I always have a stock bedded.

If I was going to use a #4 or #5 barrel, I'd scratch the Manners MCS-T and the McMillan HTG off the list. I'm not sure what other McMillan stock you are talking about.

A Manners comes with or without a chassis.

Yes! All the above. I have had and currently have both Manners and McMillans. They are both very good stocks, and are a great option for what you are wanting to do. +1 on finding an older HS Precision take off stock. Seriously, call GAP, Crescent Customs, RPR, John Beanland or any other notable gun smiths and see if they have one they will sell you on the cheap. I got one from Aaron Roberts a few years ago for free. He had a 55gal trash can full of them. Inletted and bedded the HS Precision stocks work fantastic, and will save you 5 or 6 hundred bucks. I spreayed mine with Brownell's Alumahyde and it looks great. Also, you can't go wrong with a quality aftermarket barrel. PacNor, Satern, Kreiger, Brux, Lilja, Benchmark, Lothar Walther, Hart, Shilen, Douglas, Muller Works, and Rock Creek are all great barrels. Folks get hung up on cut rifle or button barrels, but if they are well made it really doesn't matter much if any. If you check Patriot Valley, they sometimes have Rock Creek button rifled pre-fit barrels on sale. I picked up one in 6.5CM last year for $350.00 from them and it shoots as good as any of my cut rifled barrels. If you do go with a new barrel, then get a precision recoil lug, have the action trued, and have the action bedded to whatever stock you go with.