Stocks vs. Chassis

I got used to shooting a chassis after getting into PRS competition and becoming familiar with the ergonomics and versatility. Initially weight was an issue with chassis systems, but newer designs are getting closer to the synthetics. I still prefer the feel of a conventional stock for mostly carry/hunting but for mostly stand/hide hunting I like the chassis.
Same barreled action, chassis and McMillan A3 in my 300WM. Accuracy is identical in each. Also shown my 6.5x284 with an MPA light chassis.
View attachment 329180View attachment 329182View attachment 329181
Darn YOU ARE THE MAN #1 !!!!!!

Lots of advantages to chassis system. Arca Swiss rail attachments on the forehand make it quick take on and off a bipod as well as mount to a center balance point for a tripod. I don't even carry bipod anymore since I can mount my tripod in front like a bipod or centered for shooting seated. I carry a tripod for glassing anyways so eliminating the bipod saves weight.

Use the same chassis on multiple rifles without any bedding. At $800-1k price tag for upper end stocks and chassis this is a huge advantage to pocket book.

Biggest negitive to a chassis is a magazine fed system. All my hunting is done miles from the truck so a mag falling out always scares me. Hasn't happened to me yet but always in the back of my mind.

I still use a traditional stock on a couple of guns but the more I shoot a-chassis system the more I like it

Lots of advantages to chassis system. Arca Swiss rail attachments on the forehand make it quick take on and off a bipod as well as mount to a center balance point for a tripod. I don't even carry bipod anymore since I can mount my tripod in front like a bipod or centered for shooting seated. I carry a tripod for glassing anyways so eliminating the bipod saves weight.

Use the same chassis on multiple rifles without any bedding. At $800-1k price tag for upper end stocks and chassis this is a huge advantage to pocket book.

Biggest negitive to a chassis is a magazine fed system. All my hunting is done miles from the truck so a mag falling out always scares me. Hasn't happened to me yet but always in the back of my mind.

I still use a traditional stock on a couple of guns but the more I shoot a-chassis system the more I like it

Biggest negative to a chassis is a magazine fed system.

These AICS mag systems are used in almost all PRS competition rifles. Military Rifle Systems If they didn't work in chassis - they wouldn't be using. The only way I can see a release of a mag is if it was not installed correctly OR the release catch gets caught on a piece or clothing(strap) or a tree bush.
Most or all the Chassis use AICS Mag systems and hold the mags well. Developed for the Military. If you are worried about a mag falling out while walking, load one in the chamber and keep the mag handy. Carry Two Mags.
I have and had several Rem 700 Mountain Rifles with DM and never had a problem, but had friends that lost their mag from other Rem models.
AICS Mag systems work well, but I always carry two mags.

These AICS mag systems are used in almost all PRS competition rifles. Military Rifle Systems If they didn't work in chassis - they wouldn't be using. The only way I can see a release of a mag is if it was not installed correctly OR the release catch gets caught on a piece or clothing(strap) or a tree bush.
Most or all the Chassis use AICS Mag systems and hold the mags well. Developed for the Military. If you are worried about a mag falling out while walking, load one in the chamber and keep the mag handy. Carry Two Mags.
I have and had several Rem 700 Mountain Rifles with DM and never had a problem, but had friends that lost their mag from other Rem models.
I carry 2 mags. 1 in the rifle and 1 in the pack side pocket in the event of a multiple target opp. For example pack of wolves. Now, the issue with my XLR vs MDT is the xlr has a crappy release design. The release lever sticks down and can get caught on things. I made a simple mod and fixed that bs. Cut the lever to flush and machined a notch. Works very very well and no more accidental releases. My MDT's never did that.

I 100% agree with finding someone that has one and shooting their rifle in your desired use before dropping $1000 on one. I currently have a MPA BA comp chassis and while the adjustability is nice and mine does what I need it to do well, there are things that the chassis does not do all that great.

My latest MPA Hybrid Light chassis(wt. 2.5#) has an adjuster on the magazine latch that increases the the tension required to release the magazine, a noted improvement that greatly reduces the chance of inadvertently dropping a magazine. I personally prefer detachable mags, always keeping a spare loaded mag in my picked while hunting.

Stocks have ARCA also and you can also swap the Manners with mini chassis back and forth between barreled actions as well. Been doing it for years.

If memory serves, Manners also recently came out with a mini chassis set up where you can swap between a DBM and a BDL style bottom metal. So you can swap to BDL for hunting and back to DBM for matches. I will try and find that info.

ETA I was correct. It's the M5 mini chassis. It allows the user to use both M5 DBM and a BDL style M5 footprint like the Hawkins.

Last edited:
For those concerned about weight of the chassis, the game has changed in case it was a concern. MDT has the hunter, MPA the ultra, and XLR the magnesium. You can have a fairly light rifle if desired. For example this one without the bipod is 9 lbs. Remove the can and its 8 lbs 5 ounces. That chassis as seen, folder and all is 2 lbs 1 ounce.
PRC.jpg

I've been running chassis systems on my match rifles for about 13 years. These days I shoot an AI/AT for PRS and NRL matches, and the chassis system is an improvement over traditional stocks, in my opinion. However, for hunting I use synthetic/composite or good old fashioned walnut on multiple rifles. I like the way wood feels and looks, and I like the way a traditional hunting style stocks handle. Wood or composite, they both work fine, and the wood is quite beautiful and has a rather nice character to it after a few seasons of hunting. The other issue is that I carry a hunting rifle way more than I shoot it, and dragging a 19lb competition rifle around the woods ain't all that fun. Traditional hunting stocks carry nice and do everything you need them to. So, if you are building a precision rifle for competition shooting, than by all means do a chassis system. There are a ton of them out there, and they all have their issues. However, if you are building a hunting rifle, than take into consideration the terrain you are hunting in, and in my option, build the lightest rifle you possibly can. Which means, don't built it on an aluminum chassis. Composite, fiberglass, laminated wood, and solid wood are excellent choices for a hunting rifle stock. As long as they are bedded for the action you should be good to go.

build the lightest rifle you possibly can. Which means, don't built it on an aluminum chassis.
Not sure what you think a trad stock weighs but there a multiple chassis at 2.5 and less pounds. Even in this thread there is info about it. The xlr, if you wish to go non-folder is well under 2 lbs. I think it is 1 lb 10 ounces. Pretty close to 1.5 lbs. My point is that there are options now for those who want to hunt with chassis and not sacrifice weight. MDT hunter chassis is at the 2lb mark I believe as well.

The only way I can see a release of a mag is if it was not installed correctly OR the release catch gets caught on a piece or clothing(strap) or a tree bush.

Exactly. They have the chance of getting caught or snagged. I've had it happen but never lost a mag because of it. I carry two as well

Military throws away mags like they aren't worth a penny, not a good example.

Im not knocking chassis I prefer them just one of the concerns since I do most of hunting 5-15miles in wilderness area. For those hunts I use my carbon fiber tradition stocks with no magazines.

This was the rifle that really got me thinking about a chassis for long range hunting. While in the PRS world they have moved beyond my first rifle in 6.5x47L, and the rifle platforms have advanced beyond this set-up, the accuracy, ergonomics, and versatility of this rifle seemed to enhance the ease of hitting distant targets from a variety of shooting positions. Why not see if some if the attributes could be applied to long range hunting. Using an early generation MPA BA chassis, Surgeon 591 action, and Kreiger medium Palma barrel, 1000+ yard hits from a variety of positions could be made with relative ease. The big issue was that this rifle weighed 5+ pounds more then I wanted for hunting. This could be achieved with a lighter chassis, barrel, and scope while still preserving many of the attributes. I do wonder if what we saw happened with wood stocks might one day happen to the synthetic conventional stock.

Attachments

• 9E96A637-B175-463A-8D15-DF7B7C1BF244.jpeg
    9E96A637-B175-463A-8D15-DF7B7C1BF244.jpeg
    712.5 KB · Views: 69
  • E16D9D5F-4572-42B3-B37F-04D92046B66C.jpeg
    E16D9D5F-4572-42B3-B37F-04D92046B66C.jpeg
    78.4 KB · Views: 68
  • 1376C423-4C6C-43A2-8A67-07B7240964B4.jpeg
    1376C423-4C6C-43A2-8A67-07B7240964B4.jpeg
    65 KB · Views: 78
This was the rifle that really got me thinking about a chassis for long range hunting. While in the PRS world they have moved beyond my first rifle in 6.5x47L, and the rifle platforms have advanced beyond this set-up, the accuracy, ergonomics, and versatility of this rifle seemed to enhance the ease of hitting distant targets from a variety of shooting positions. Why not see if some if the attributes could be applied to long range hunting. Using an early generation MPA BA chassis, Surgeon 591 action, and Kreiger medium Palma barrel, 1000+ yard hits from a variety of positions could be made with relative ease. The big issue was that this rifle weighed 5+ pounds more then I wanted for hunting. This could be achieved with a lighter chassis, barrel, and scope while still preserving many of the attributes. I do wonder if what we saw happened with wood stocks might one day happen to the synthetic conventional stock.
My favorite is the 6.5X47L.…One holers too.

Military throws away mags like they aren't worth a penny, not a good example.
You don't want to get stuck in a Fire Fight with a no mag-trust me and anyone that has been in that situation. Those mags that are "Thrown Away" are mostly in Semi/Auto firearms. And are not just thrown away. Don't know if you served, but in the Corps we never threw our mags away. For the most part the AICS mag systems developed for the military are used in Bolt Action Rifles mainly used by Snipers.
There are thousands of Rem DM rifles out there. I don't think they would be making them if the magazines fell out. The AICS mag system is in my OPINION a better system then the Rem DM.
There is no chance of losing a mag with an internal cartridge loading system. However, they are not available on a Chassis.
You have your opinion so go with it.