Stocks vs. Chassis

2021-MCS-TBD-ET-High-Plains-L.jpg

Both AICS DBM and BDL available interchangeably in that 33 ounce stock above. ;)

Lots of advantages to chassis system. Arca Swiss rail attachments on the forehand make it quick take on and off a bipod as well as mount to a center balance point for a tripod. I don't even carry bipod anymore since I can mount my tripod in front like a bipod or centered for shooting seated. I carry a tripod for glassing anyways so eliminating the bipod saves weight.

Use the same chassis on multiple rifles without any bedding. At $800-1k price tag for upper end stocks and chassis this is a huge advantage to pocket book.

Biggest negitive to a chassis is a magazine fed system. All my hunting is done miles from the truck so a mag falling out always scares me. Hasn't happened to me yet but always in the back of my mind.

I still use a traditional stock on a couple of guns but the more I shoot a-chassis system the more I like it

2021-MCS-TBD-ET-High-Plains-L.jpg

Both AICS DBM and BDL available interchangeably in that 33 ounce stock above. ;)
An XLR chassis is 28 oz with integrated bottom metal and a full length arca rail... and farrrr stiffer. 33 oz if you add in the folder... they are a different beast.

How stiff you think you need a stock to be? That carbon fiber stock is more than stiff enough to shoot accurately. It's not a cheap factory stock which flexes.

If you need a super light weight folder then the chassis would be a better option.

How stiff you think you need a stock to be? That carbon fiber stock is more than stiff enough to shoot accurately. It's not a cheap factory stock which flexes.

If you need a super light weight folder then the chassis would be a better option.
Oh, they still have some flex. Even the chassis still has a small amount of flex. Pinch at the end of the forend and unless you have a fair amount of clearance with the stock you will get enough flex to touch the barrel.

Oh, they still have some flex. Even the chassis still has a small amount of flex. Pinch at the end of the forend and unless you have a fair amount of clearance with the stock you will get enough flex to touch the barrel.

LOL so no stocks shoot accurately? No one shooting Manners or Foundations or McMillans in matches can shoot accurately? LOL

LOL so no stocks shoot accurately? No one shooting Manners or Foundations or McMillans in matches can shoot accurately? LOL
Hell Ya.
McMillan are great for BR & F Class, ELR. I have several XITs waiting to be mounted in 6.5X284 "F" Class and 338LMAI for ELR!
but think this thread is about hunting rifles and using "Stocks of Chassis"

Hell Ya.
McMillan are great for BR & F Class, ELR. I have several XITs waiting to be mounted in 6.5X284 "F" Class and 338LMAI for ELR!
but think this thread is about hunting rifles and using "Stocks of Chassis"
Well it was talking stocks and chassis and then PRS came into it and it was off to the races. Accurate is accurate though no matter hunting or targets. Yes chassis can shoot accurately but so can stocks and the "has to be super stiff" train of thought just isn't right. Good stocks, both hunting and target, mentioned above can be very accurate. They are all plenty stiff to be accurate also.

I get it. Some people like chassis. I wish I did but they don't feel right to me when shooting and I shoot PRS matches and have for 19 years. I like stocks better. Just wanted to give some people, especially the OP, something to think about and to look at as options.

Well it was talking stocks and chassis and then PRS came into it and it was off to the races. Accurate is accurate though no matter hunting or targets. Yes chassis can shoot accurately but so can stocks and the "has to be super stiff" train of thought just isn't right. Good stocks, both hunting and target, mentioned above can be very accurate. They are all plenty stiff to be accurate also.

I get it. Some people like chassis. I wish I did but they don't feel right to me when shooting and I shoot PRS matches and have for 19 years. I like stocks better. Just wanted to give some people, especially the OP, something to think about and to look at as options.
I know several top shooters in PRS down here in the South and they use STOCKS!. Took me a long time to get into Chassis, but really like them now. side note nothing better than a grade III or IV Turk walnut stock, but wouldn't take into the woods.

I know several top shooters in PRS down here in the South and they use STOCKS!. Took me a long time to get into Chassis, but really like them now. side note nothing better than a grade III or IV Turk walnut stock, but wouldn't take into the woods.
Yup I know many who use stocks and used to be one when I was a little younger and had time to practice more. LOL Been a few years since I stood ona two day match podium. Chassis took off for the versatility and when the game turned to making rifles 30 pounds it was easier to strap dead weight on. Also for new shooters they were easier to drop an action in with no bedding and less wait time than a stock so they got that crowd too. Some don't want to wait 6-8 months for a stock to be built. Some don't know about the Manners Mini chassis being bolt in and go and why I mentioned it also so if you like that about chassis but want a stock it's an option. If you get a stock built right then it will shoot just fine and shoot with any chassis and boils down to personal preference.

I am new to assembling custom rifles. I just finished a .223 recently with a McMillan A5. I am now working on a 7 SAUM for the range. I greatly prefer the looks of a nice stock such as the A5, but I see the majority of long range shooters using chassis systems now. Why exactly is that? I may be able to be talked into a chassis, but I just don't love how they look.
Modern high end stocks have come a long way in bridging the gap that once was between the two. The most important thing is being able to fit either to YOU. I'm currently running a MPA and also a TCS just starting messing with which I'm really liking. I think most chassis still hold the edge as far as modularity and ease of fit. Stocks like the Manners TCS and Foundations offerings are probably the most adjustable traditional stocks you are going to find.

Range gun can mean different things to different people. PRS, Benchrest, prone? Each will have certain aspects that are more important. If your still finding your niche I think it's a great time to find a used chassis and experiment. It will afford you the most adjustment and options until you figure out what's important to you and what is not. From there you can make a more informed decision wether you want to pursue the chassis or go back to a stock, but you don't know until you try.

MDT ACC, MPA BA Comp, XLR Envy are the top of the heap and KRG also makes some hybrid chassis systems that have a more traditional feel.

98DC0EAA-D207-4479-9D8B-9124C1FF5CAF.jpeg

This a stock or chassis? I just don't know anymore lol. To add to my previous statement, I personally am finding that even for prs I prefer the softer feeling of a stock and I do prefer the aesthetics. It is a little harder to get things like balance and ergonomics where you like them but with experience you will learn to build them to your liking.

IMG_1035(1).jpg

My cheek piece looks like yours now as that was a quick pop on for comfort but wrapped it soon after. The T2A works well too on a match rifle. My TCS should be here this month and I will move that stock to my Vudoo.

View attachment 329398
This a stock or chassis? I just don't know anymore lol. To add to my previous statement, I personally am finding that even for prs I prefer the softer feeling of a stock and I do prefer the aesthetics. It is a little harder to get things like balance and ergonomics where you like them but with experience you will learn to build them to your liking.
Stock-Really nice RIG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Recent Posts