Stock advice needed

jrg_80

I've got a Rem Long Range setup in 300wm with that factory sent B&C stock on it, I'm swapping out the factory barrel with a Proof light sendero barrel and my options are to 1) open up the barrel channel on the B&C stock that I already have in hand OR 2) replace with a McMillan M40 stock that already has channel set to accept a sendero/varmint barrel contour? In a nutshell, should I spend $550 on a new stock OR adjust and keep what I already have for minimal cost of opening up the stock I already own? Thanks for any help/advice

jrg

I've got a Rem Long Range setup in 300wm with that factory sent B&C stock on it, I'm swapping out the factory barrel with a Proof light sendero barrel and my options are to 1) open up the barrel channel on the B&C stock that I already have in hand OR 2) replace with a McMillan M40 stock that already has channel set to accept a sendero/varmint barrel contour? In a nutshell, should I spend $550 on a new stock OR adjust and keep what I already have for minimal cost of opening up the stock I already own? Thanks for any help/advice

jrg
Spending a lot more money isn't really going to give you any better performance. I like my McMillan's but I also like my B&C's.

Float and bed it properly and there's no reason you won't be happy with the end result.

Depends on your end goal. By going with a Proof Sendero Light, you are going to be saving significant weight over the heavy contour Remington barrel.

If you want to shave more weight, look at the McMillan with Edge fill, or a Manners EH1. Those will reduce weight by another 10-16oz. I did a similar build and reduced weight by a full 3#. From 11lbs 15oz to 8lbs 15oz w. scope. But it wasn't cheap.

I've opened up barrel channels on several of my rifles and I use a deep socket with a long socket extension and wrap the socket with sandpaper. By gripping the socket with one hand that also holds the sandpaper in place and the other hand holds the socket extension I can remove material in the barrel channel quite easily and spend my money on triggers, brass, primers, bullets and recently a Forster Co-Ax press.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.