advice needed

walserjack

Im new to long range hunting and this site. there seems to be alot of experience and a wealth of knowledge here. Im interested in the Berger VLD hunting bullets. I have a Rem. 700 SPS Tactical .308 with 20 in barrel 1:12 twist. Im capable of .75 in groups with my 'ol reliable' win supreme 168gr at 100 yrds. What would you recommend for me in the VLD. my longest shot will be 500 yrds. Please Help!

varget, I4064 and re-15 are the three most popular powders. i would reccomend a krieger 26 inch barrel.

Start with good brass. Lapua is hard to beat.

As are Federal 210 Match or CCI BR2 Benchrest primers.

Varget may well be the most popular powder for 308 with Palma shooters.

Berger says their 190gr VLD will work in a 1:12 twist. So, that's going to be about the heaviest and highest BC you can expect. However, the shorter barrel may limit your velocity such that you need to stay with the 168's.

Pick a set of components and change only one variable at a time.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

-- richard

I just read that Alliant came out with a new powder. It's called AR Comp. It's a re-manufacturing of RL15 to be a lot more temp stable. They tested it from -20 to 120 degrees with only a 20fps change. They tested it in 223 in a 77grn bullet and .308 in 175grn bullet. They said it is closer to the Varget in burn rate. When they start putting it out, I may try some.

Tank

I forgot to mention that I dont reload ammo. I am bound to factory ammo only. I looked into the HSM VLD hunting bullits and I think Im gouing to try the 168 gr rounds but the berger website suggest a 1;13 twist for the 168. And 180 gr for 1;12 twist. My next question is will the 168 maintain stability and accuracy out to 500 yards? If not I will use the 180 grain VLD but will the 180 bullet be too long for my Rem 700? And which one will be more accurate overall? Dont forget, I have a 1:12 twist and 20 in heavy barrell .308. any input would be helpful.

I forgot to mention that I dont reload ammo. I am bound to factory ammo only. I looked into the HSM VLD hunting bullits and I think Im gouing to try the 168 gr rounds but the berger website suggest a 1;13 twist for the 168. And 180 gr for 1;12 twist. My next question is will the 168 maintain stability and accuracy out to 500 yards? If not I will use the 180 grain VLD but will the 180 bullet be too long for my Rem 700? And which one will be more accurate overall? Dont forget, I have a 1:12 twist and 20 in heavy barrell .308. any input would be helpful.

The 168 gr bullet gives up some BC to the longer bullets which means that you have to do a little better job of reading/compensating for wind.

But, it is fully capable of shooting 1k.

More accurate depends entirely on your rifle's likes and dislikes and your attention to the load workup.

I think Palma shooters may be limited to 155 gr bullets and peep sights out to 1,000 yds.

Pricey ammo if you not reload, plus you can't get anything customized for your chamber...

I would look into Federal Gold Medal Match, Superformance Match, Hornady Match. All these are preferred loads by those who don't reload. May even want to find some military M118LR. It's out there and available. Just some suggestions.

Tank

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts