Advice needed

Baboltin

So I am going on a dall sheep hunt in 2022 and have been planning the hunt and am planning on taking my Christensen arms summit TI 28 nosler with me. I have 200 rounds of factory ammo ready for it to be broken in, sighted in and practice and get familiar with it over the course of the next 7-8 months. During a discussion with a friend about what load and rifle I'm going to shoot he thought I was stupid to be shooting nosler e-tip 150 grain copper bullets in Alaska on sheep and that they will get sent to fast out of a 28 nosler and be unstable, and suggested I use a heavier 160-180 grain lead bullet. This now has me concerned if I made a mistake with purchasing this ammo for this rifle, for this hunt. Maybe I'm just getting in my head about it because of the hunt and it being once in a lifetime for me but what do you guys suggest and what is your advice on this rifle, round and load? Should I use a lead bullet? Is a 150 grain bullet to lite of a grain bullet for a 28 nosler? My barrel is a 1-9 twist barrel. Does anyone have this same rifle, and shoot 150 grain? Does anyone shoot 150 grain out of there 28 nosler? What's your experience?

150gr I'm sure would work, but... I think the heavier bullets for that cartridge and game might be a better bet in the long run. just my 0.2 Cheer's

I wouldn't say it's too light. 28 nosler on a basic level is just a modern 7mm mag and 150 gr is at the lower end of what the rifle would typically shoot. That said, I would agree that heavier is generally better.

As for your copper bullets, the problem with those is that copper bullets are longer per weight then their lead counter parts. A lighter metal at the same weight as a more dense metal, that mass needs to be made up somehow. Bullet stability is based on projectile length and not actual weight, so that is typically the issue with monolithic bullets. Your friend has a point about that.

For decades the 7 Rem Mag killed most everything that walks with 140 to 160 grain bullets. If those 150 monos shoot well out of your rifle, they will crush any sheep that walks the planet at 500 yards and closer. In fact, with a 500 yard limit it may be perfect. Until you get past 500 yards Speed beats BC for drift and drop. As long as they group well you can rest easy on your choice.

So I am going on a dall sheep hunt in 2022 and have been planning the hunt and am planning on taking my Christensen arms summit TI 28 nosler with me. I have 200 rounds of factory ammo ready for it to be broken in, sighted in and practice and get familiar with it over the course of the next 7-8 months. During a discussion with a friend about what load and rifle I'm going to shoot he thought I was stupid to be shooting nosler e-tip 150 grain copper bullets in Alaska on sheep and that they will get sent to fast out of a 28 nosler and be unstable, and suggested I use a heavier 160-180 grain lead bullet. This now has me concerned if I made a mistake with purchasing this ammo for this rifle, for this hunt. Maybe I'm just getting in my head about it because of the hunt and it being once in a lifetime for me but what do you guys suggest and what is your advice on this rifle, round and load? Should I use a lead bullet? Is a 150 grain bullet to lite of a grain bullet for a 28 nosler? My barrel is a 1-9 twist barrel. Does anyone have this same rifle, and shoot 150 grain? Does anyone shoot 150 grain out of there 28 nosler? What's your experience?
The 150 monos are about the same length as 162-165 conventional bullet. sheep are tough but that's more than enough to do the job if you can put the bullet where it belongs. On a hunt like that I would try for a direct hit on the point of the shoulder to take out the spine and the front legs.

The bigger question is can they be consistently accurate in your rifle?

If they are you're fine, just practice a lot.

If you can't get to MOA then you definitely need to look at custom loading to get there.

There are companies that will take your rifle and work up loads and then load up a supply for you if you are not already an experienced loader.

Good luck.

Your friend has done a great job of putting doubt about your set up before a shot has been fired. That's a great thing your friend did for you.

There is no doubt that a quality 150grn slug being fired out of a quality rifle like yours will do the job.

You have 7 to 8 months to prove your set up to yourself. Get the doubt out of your mind and go to the range and become confident in yourself and your choice of equipment, do your job and your weapon will do the rest for you.

I have fired the Nosler E-tip out of my 7mm Mag Ruger #1 and they were very accurate. I didn't have an opportunity to take an animal with one but I have no doubt that if I did my job they would do theirs.

Clear your mind, go prove to yourself that your equipment will do what you want it to do and go take the Dall sheep of your dreams.

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for your input I really appreciate it.
For decades the 7 Rem Mag killed most everything that walks with 140 to 160 grain bullets. If those 150 monos shoot well out of your rifle, they will crush any sheep that walks the planet at 500 yards and closer. In fact, with a 500 yard limit it may be perfect. Until you get past 500 yards Speed beats BC for drift and drop. As long as they group well you can rest easy on your choice.
i appreciate that and it makes me feel better to talk to you guys about it thank you everyone for the advice and settling my mind.

The 150 monos are about the same length as 162-165 conventional bullet. sheep are tough but that's more than enough to do the job if you can put the bullet where it belongs. On a hunt like that I would try for a direct hit on the point of the shoulder to take out the spine and the front legs.

The bigger question is can they be consistently accurate in your rifle?

If they are you're fine, just practice a lot.

If you can't get to MOA then you definitely need to look at custom loading to get there.

There are companies that will take your rifle and work up loads and then load up a supply for you if you are not already an experienced loader.

Good luck.
What company's do that? Any suggestions?