Range Finder Advice needed

Rflamm250

I have a Leica 1000R and today in full sun it would not read a 2x2 target at 400 yrds. Early in the morning it would read steel target at 800. I do not need any internal ballistic programs or weather meters just a solid rangefinder that will range deer sized animals out to 800 in most conditions. I see Leica has a 1600 out and I am wondering if this is my best option or if there is anything else out there better. Any advice would be appreciated.

I am surprised to hear such poor feedback on a Leica. My personal experience with them is far better. I would contrast that with Bushnell, which is reliably only reliable for a fraction of the advertised range under the best of conditions. Another good brand, which I currently support, is Sig. Very happy with my Sig2000.

There is also the issue that each unit differs. I have had several opportunities to test units of the same model side by side, and have been surprised by the variability in performance. Sig, Leica, less variability. Bushnell, extreme variability. My buddy and I both bought Bushnell 1600s on the same day from the same source, his would do 700 yards on game mine would do 500 at best. Did I share I hate Bushnell??

I am surprised to hear such poor feedback on a Leica. My personal experience with them is far better. I would contrast that with Bushnell, which is reliably only reliable for a fraction of the advertised range under the best of conditions. Another good brand, which I currently support, is Sig. Very happy with my Sig2000.

There is also the issue that each unit differs. I have had several opportunities to test units of the same model side by side, and have been surprised by the variability in performance. Sig, Leica, less variability. Bushnell, extreme variability. My buddy and I both bought Bushnell 1600s on the same day from the same source, his would do 700 yards on game mine would do 500 at best. Did I share I hate Bushnell??
I have no complaints on the leica it has never let me down until today. I just think its time to upgrade. I have no hesitation buying another Leica that is rated for longer distances. I have heard the Sigs have some trouble in the cold. I live in Florida but I do hunt Iowa every other year in December. Im just wondering whats out there. I would love some feedback on the Leupold rx 2800 or Leica 2400R. Im sure either would work for me.

I have no complaints on the leica it has never let me down until today. I just think its time to upgrade. I have no hesitation buying another Leica that is rated for longer distances. I have heard the Sigs have some trouble in the cold. I live in Florida but I do hunt Iowa every other year in December. Im just wondering whats out there. I would love some feedback on the Leupold rx 2800 or Leica 2400R. Im sure either would work for me.

Anecdotal evidence (isn't it all???), but my Sig went to MT last year in sub-freezing temps. Range elk fine at 730yds, multiple times, enabled first shot kill.

Make sure there's no dust on the lense I thought I was having a problem with my 1200 cleaned the lense and all is well.

Are Sig and Leupold one in the same now? I have heard that Leupold makes the lasers for most rangefinders. Not sure if there is any truth to it.

Clean lense, fresh batt. That's solved some issues for me in the past.

Presently have a 1600B, and it'll get me reliably to 1k (non reflective) on most sunny days. That said, if there's stuff in the air, it has failed to provide me results at <200 in the shade. Smoke, dust, haze, fog all render the device pretty much unusable. I've found it surprisingly good in the rain, hit or miss in the snow.

More cabable units exist, but for deer-type objects at 800yd, I'm not sure there are any gains to be realized beyond a 1600R or B.

Clean lense, fresh batt. That's solved some issues for me in the past.

Presently have a 1600B, and it'll get me reliably to 1k (non reflective) on most sunny days. That said, if there's stuff in the air, it has failed to provide me results at <200 in the shade. Smoke, dust, haze, fog all render the device pretty much unusable. I've found it surprisingly good in the rain, hit or miss in the snow.

More cabable units exist, but for deer-type objects at 800yd, I'm not sure there are any gains to be realized beyond a 1600R or B.
Good advice. Thank you

Good advice. Thank you
I ditched my Leupold RX-1000's last year after sitting next to someone with the Leica Rangermaster 2000-B. I was lucky to get 500-600 yards out of my Leupolds and he was easily doing close to a 1000 yards consistently.
I just came back from an elk hunt last week and could consistently range 800 yards plus without looking for a reflective target with the 2000-B's. My hunting companion had the Leica HD-B 2200 range finding binos and they easily shot 1800 yard targets with 2000+ obtainable with some effort. After this experience I have become a Leica fan. Not sure if they have the best glass but they seem to know what they're doing with range finding.

I ditched my Leupold RX-1000's last year after sitting next to someone with the Leica Rangermaster 2000-B. I was lucky to get 500-600 yards out of my Leupolds and he was easily doing close to a 1000 yards consistently.
I just came back from an elk hunt last week and could consistently range 800 yards plus without looking for a reflective target with the 2000-B's. My hunting companion had the Leica HD-B 2200 range finding binos and they easily shot 1800 yard targets with 2000+ obtainable with some effort. After this experience I have become a Leica fan. Not sure if they have the best glass but they seem to know what they're doing with range finding.

Did you have any luck on your elk hunt?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.