Advice Needed

hugetacticles

I have a trip planned out west for my first elk hunt. I recently inherited a ruger m77 wood stock in 7mm rem mag. It says made in the 200th year of american liberty on it so it is an older gun. The guy i got it from didn't shoot much with it so it's in really nice shape. It has a leupold 2-7 veri X2 scope on it. We took it out and shot it the other day and it seems to be pretty accurate at 100 yards (even with ammo that was bought from a store that closed down 25 years ago). I wouldn't know just how accurate it is because its was the first time i shot a magnum and was terrified of getting scoped. Here are my questions.

1) When dialed in to 7 power my eye relief is 2.9 inches. It seems like thats too close as I am constantly worried about getting a nice scar. When it's at a 2 power it feels really comfortable. I have looked at getting the vortex 2.5-10 viper hs but I'm not sure at what power the eye relief is measured at. Do all scopes have variable eye relief depending on what power you have it on? And am I just being a wuss? Is 2.9 inches going to be fine?

2) I will shoot it a bunch more between now and then but i want to get dialed in on the right cartridge. I am currently looking at the Barnes TSX 160 grain. Does anyone have any opinions on this ammo? I know it is a ford VS chevy debate but any input would be great.

3) I won't know until i shoot it but i have read that there are some accuracy issues with the m77. Is this a gun worth putting money into to get dialed in? I have very little experience with magnum rifles. I actually have little experience with rifles in general.

I ordered a limb saver, the red rubber pad seems to do very little for recoil reduction. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

First thing to do is give that classic gun a good cleaning all the way down to bare metal with a good carbon cutter then use a good copper cutter. Then have a good shooting friend or a gunsmith fit the gun to you and maybe adjust the scope forward to fit your body type and size. After fitting the rifle and scope to you you should not get "scoped".
What usually causes everyone to get scoped is either not holding the gun firmly or crawling up on the rifle while shooting prone. Start with lite loads to get comfortable with shooting a magnum. Be careful of getting a flinch from your fear of getting scoped. If the rifle has too much recoil for you then consider adding a brake to it.
Those model Rugers are generally good shooters.

Awesome! Thanks for the reply. I am going to send it in to a good Smith here where I live and have him look it over. Thanks again for the good info.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.