Starting a custom light(ish) weight .338 Norma build!!

if you haven't ordered the brake yet, check out the Beast brake from muzzlebrakesandmore. He's a member here and the brakes are not only very nicely priced, but very often more effective than the brakes costing 2x as much. I have the 5 port Beast for 338 rum and it's cherry. I don't have anything to compare to, but it sure seems like it would be very hard to beat.

if you haven't ordered the brake yet, check out the Beast brake from muzzlebrakesandmore. He's a member here and the brakes are not only very nicely priced, but very often more effective than the brakes costing 2x as much. I have the 5 port Beast for 338 rum and it's cherry. I don't have anything to compare to, but it sure seems like it would be very hard to beat.
I have a Lil Beast 3 port brake on my .260 AI, and I like it very much, and will own more. And IdahoCTD is a very friendly guy as well. However, my friend liked the looks of the Terminator brake, and they seem to have about he same effectiveness, and another $130 did not seem to concern him too much on this particular build. Se we're gonna give it a try

Well we have the stock, barrel is now being shipped, we have the brake, and the trigger....now we are just regenerating some funds to get the action and bottom metal, and my smith says the reamer from JGS will be done within a week or two. It doesn't look like it's going to be finished before my friend deploys for Iraq, but I will finish it up and have it put together, broken in and load developement complete for when he comes home in June-July of 2019. I'll get pics of the components so far when I get a chance.

On his homecoming, we will have to send a few rounds, come home and drool over it while sipping on our bottle of deployment whiskey we got!! This is his 3rd tour, and we got a bottle of Johnny Walker green label a couple weeks ago that is going to sit on the shelf until his safe return.

Well we have the stock, barrel is now being shipped, we have the brake, and the trigger....now we are just regenerating some funds to get the action and bottom metal, and my smith says the reamer from JGS will be done within a week or two. It doesn't look like it's going to be finished before my friend deploys for Iraq, but I will finish it up and have it put together, broken in and load developement complete for when he comes home in June-July of 2019. I'll get pics of the components so far when I get a chance.

On his homecoming, we will have to send a few rounds, come home and drool over it while sipping on our bottle of deployment whiskey we got!! This is his 3rd tour, and we got a bottle of Johnny Walker green label a couple weeks ago that is going to sit on the shelf until his safe return.

Awesome, looking forward to the finished product. Tell your buddy thanks for his service and be safe.

Is there an update with the finished rifle? This project sounds exciting! I am in the early planning phases of building a 338 Norma as well.

Slight delay on things, but everything is being dropped off at the smith on monday to be put together, all that is left is the optic and bottom metal. Pretty excited to finally have the barrel, action and brake mated up!!
20180929_085156.jpg
20180929_085129.jpg
20180629_201021.jpg

That's going to look great when it's finished!! I run a T3 brake on mt 300 WSM. Awesome breaks with the heavy 230gr Bergers. I am curious to hear how the felt recoil is when you shoot it. I suspect very minimal with your setup!

Tagging in on this to see how it turns out, a 338 Norma is next on my list as well. Already have the brass and a box each of 300 Sierra's and 285 ELDMs. The big Norma case makes my Creedmoor ammo look like wimpy rimfire!

My original plan was to get a Christensen Arms BA Tactical so I could be ready to shoot off the shelf, but I look at builds like this and can't help but think I should just keep saving a little longer for a nice Stiller or other proper Lapua size action...

Mesa Precision has all my metal work done, Crux Ti lapua action, Proof 1:9 26" Sendero, Ti 3 port brake, Triggertech diamond, just waiting for my Manners Prs2 stock to be done, should be finished in a few weeks! Can't wait for my norma!

Well got it home, and with some light fitting got it in the stock for some photos, though I still need to do the bedding. There may be a little cerakote down the road but it still don't look too shabby!! Finished bare rifle wieght came in at 9.8 lbs, add the scope we are getting and the Warne mountain tech rings we got and we will be sitting at 11.8 lbs ready to hunt, which I think will work great, a touch on the heavy side for a pacl rifle but still easily doable, and the extra wieght will aid in long shot stability and recoil management. We're pretty excited to send some rounds down range with this guy!!!
20181219_232758.jpg
20181219_232822.jpg
20181219_232846.jpg
20181219_232839.jpg

Cody, the rifle looks great so far! I am curious to hear how little recoil it will have with the T3 brake as well. Keep the updates coming.

What magazine are you using? I use the AICS CIP's and they are not designed for the Norma mag cases. The shoulder is further back so the cases can slide forward and smash the bullet tips when fired. Had to modify my mags so they wouldn't do this. Haven't done much looking but I'm not sure there is a 5 round CIP mag that would fit Normas. Mile high shooting has a 10 rounder

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.