Starting a custom light(ish) weight .338 Norma build!!

Moving up in action size is a good decision. I'd also look at the Montana PH model it has a 4" magazine.
Nothing wrong with your choice, just didn't see if you'd looked at this one.

I did the ballistics check as well and the 285s would have to shoot 150 fps more than the 300s to match the 300 in down range speed. I doubt I'll get anywhere near that. I did see Hornady released 338 eldx in several weights but I think it's the same story. 338Norma was designed around shooting the 300

Liking the sound of this rifle. My vote for the bullet is the Berger 300. They will most likely be my go to bullet even if my next 338 is a smaller one such as the Norma. Running on the Norma case you can still run can still run them mag fed and you will appreciate the extra BC when making longer shots along with the extra energy when trying to keep elk out of the timber. I have shot the Berger 250s, the Hornady 285s, and the 300s(mostly) and I can't tell much difference in recoil, my rifle is 15 pds. The 300 will let you take full advantage of this case imo. Although it never hurts to try them all if you have the time and see what you and your rifle like best. I would recommend one the best brakes you can get. Terminator T3 or T4, beast, Assassin, and pain killer brakes are good options.

This is the exact build I plan on doing. The only difference was I was thinking about doing a lone peak 338 titanium action. This will be a good thread to figure out if I should go with steel or TI. What are your thoughts? Also I was planning on doing a proof barrel which is 1:9.4 and think the cabin six is a 1:9.

This is the exact build I plan on doing. The only difference was I was thinking about doing a lone peak 338 titanium action. This will be a good thread to figure out if I should go with steel or TI. What are your thoughts? Also I was planning on doing a proof barrel which is 1:9.4 and think the cabin six is a 1:9.
Yes, it is 1:9. We also looked at lone peak really hard, the main reason we went with Stiller is the Lone Peak 338 and 338 TI actions are significantly more expensive, especially the TI at $1600+....and the Stiller is a somewhat more substantial action, being larger and longer, and inletting isn't an issue as we're having a Manners stock made to order. However, if lightest wieght possible is the goal, the 338 TI is probably the best option.

Also, and I wouldn't put much on this, but my smith said that on a titanium action and a Lapua bolt face, he would be interested to hear if there were any issues with bolt set back. I asked the owner at Lone Peak, and he said he hadn't heard anything about it happening with his actions. Has anyone heard of this issue with high round count titanium Lapua actions?

I still think though, even with the larger action, this rifle will still come in about as light as you would want for a rifle sending 300 grain bullets at 2750+....lol

Yes, it is 1:9. We also looked at lone peak really hard, the main reason we went with Stiller is the Lone Peak 338 and 338 TI actions are significantly more expensive, especially the TI at $1600+....and the Stiller is a somewhat more substantial action, being larger and longer, and inletting isn't an issue as we're having a Manners stock made to order. However, if lightest wieght possible is the goal, the 338 TI is probably the best option.

Also, and I wouldn't put much on this, but my smith said that on a titanium action and a Lapua bolt face, he would be interested to hear if there were any issues with bolt set back. I asked the owner at Lone Peak, and he said he hadn't heard anything about it happening with his actions. Has anyone heard of this issue with high round count titanium Lapua actions?

I still think though, even with the larger action, this rifle will still come in about as light as you would want for a rifle sending 300 grain bullets at 2750+....lol

Yes those actions are spendy. I also looked at the defiance Ul in the lapua bolt face. Have looked real hard at the Stiller but will need to check them out also.

Yeah going with a titanium action I am concerned about even less weight and then worried about recoil. It is a 338 so a guy should be careful on how light he goes.

What manners you doing. I'm either going with the manners EH-1 or McMillan game warden stock.
When is your build about gonna be done?

What manners you doing. I'm either going with the manners EH-1 or McMillan game warden stock.
When is your build about gonna be done?

Were doing the EH-1A in GAP camo. It's just the EH-1 with the adjustable cheek rest. The stock is 4-6 weeks out, the barrel is going to be ordered right after the first and they say they are 10 weeks out but most barrels have been shipping after 4-6 weeks, and the actions are in stock on the shelf. My smith can barrel the action in a day or two. We are hoping to have it done by March though....

I wouldn't worry too much about weight with the right brake. I like the Fat bastard breaks. They work. 4 or 5 port model. Howitzer style brakes work too, but not sure if they work better.

I wouldn't worry too much about weight with the right brake. I like the Fat bastard breaks. They work. 4 or 5 port model. Howitzer style brakes work too, but not sure if they work better.
I think after more research we're gonna go with a Terminator T3 brake. From watching all his testing, it seems to equal and outperform the APA brake, the painkiller, and the muscle brake on a 338 lapua sending a 300 SMK @2650.

Last edited:
I have heard really good things about the Christianson Arms slayer brake. I talked to a guy that had build multiple 30's and 338 and he said he likes the slayer brake the best. Just some more info I heard about brakes. Looking forward to hear about your build and pics.

Well the Manners stock is on it's way, the Carbon six barrel is being made as we speak (estimated finish date of late April to early May) and we have an action found. Hoping to have this build finished by June-July!!! Also, we decided on a Terminator T3 brake

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.