Light weight 338

Uffda that's light, what will you scope it with? Has to be 13 ounce or less I'd guess...

I had a 700 in .340 Wby, with a Brown on it, and 3-10 Leupold, Schneider barrel cut to 23". I had it mag na ported as I'm not a fan of brakes.

It went 8.25 lbs all up, scope rounds, sling etc. I'd NOT want it lighter. I hunted it a ton load, filled a ark or two with critters and it was my main chuck rifle for several years.

If I wanted a gun sub 7 lbs all up, I'd not go above the 7 RM, but that's just me:)

Cody's 9lb .338 Norma is worth a look;
Thanks for posting this ! Excellent read !!

Rum Man

Uffda that's light, what will you scope it with? Has to be 13 ounce or less I'd guess...

I had a 700 in .340 Wby, with a Brown on it, and 3-10 Leupold, Schneider barrel cut to 23". I had it mag na ported as I'm not a fan of brakes.

It went 8.25 lbs all up, scope rounds, sling etc. I'd NOT want it lighter. I hunted it a ton load, filled a ark or two with critters and it was my main chuck rifle for several years.

If I wanted a gun sub 7 lbs all up, I'd not go above the 7 RM, but that's just me:)
Am I correct in understanding that magnaport would not really reduce recoil but instead reduce muzzle rise? So in that case reduce banging your cheekbone on the comb but not saving much on your shoulder?

Am I correct in understanding that magnaport would not really reduce recoil but instead reduce muzzle rise? So in that case reduce banging your cheekbone on the comb but not saving much on your shoulder?
I would never do the Magnaport . It's a waste of time and money ..i would install a side port brake . Hands down .

Rum Man

The "Packer" We named it,Defiance,Lonewolf summit,26 braked ABS,7-2oz bare.Seen here loaded,sling,Atlas all in 9-12oz.Son with gray ghost

Attachments

• IMG_1239.JPG
    IMG_1239.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 83
I shoot a 338 edge and it weighs just under 10# loaded. Even with a good brake, you better hang on when it goes bang. I wouldn't want it any lighter.
In your situation, I'd look at a 33N and hammer bullets. Running lighter bullets helps with the recoil a lot. I noticed a big difference going from a 300 Berger to a 260 hammer. You could go even lighter.
Personally, I don't like hunting guns under 8.5#.

Correct, it pretty much takes care of the muzzle jump which is good to me as I hold a gun pretty darn free recoil. PLus it does it without taking the the DB's thru the roof.

When hunting I would not wear ear plugs of any sort when firing at game and I can with ease shoot the magnaport without plus/muffs of any kind.

To date....I've not been around a brake that I would allow to be on one of my rifles. As they are just too loud and caustic. Most every fella I know who uses a brake is using some sort of ear protection while shooting at game.

I'm open to idea's when it comes to brakes, I've just not experienced one that's user friendly so far...

I would never do the Magnaport . It's a waste of time and money ..i would install a side port brake . Hands down .

Rum Man

Rum Man---who makes a good side port brake, and what smiths in Montana do you know who installs them. I'd be curious to take a peek at them?

I like the Terminator brakes they take the hurt away but as you stated .." they are loud "
I have a Smith in Kalispell I use . I can PM his info if you like . Not sure about the rules on a non member business.

Rum Man

Some magnaport brakes can reduce recoil slightly because the holes are drilled at an angle, but they typically don't help much at all.
I like the Terminator brakes they take the hurt away but as you stated .." they are loud "
I have a Smith in Kalispell I use . I can PM his info if you like . Not sure about the rules on a non member business.

Rum Man
I would agree that the Terminator is a great brake and not quite as loud as a few others out there. I've heard the Muscle brake is also quite nice.

I shoot a 338 edge and it weighs just under 10# loaded. Even with a good brake, you better hang on when it goes bang. I wouldn't want it any lighter.
In your situation, I'd look at a 33N and hammer bullets. Running lighter bullets helps with the recoil a lot. I noticed a big difference going from a 300 Berger to a 260 hammer. You could go even lighter.
Personally, I don't like hunting guns under 8.5#.
That is why I'm looking more towards a saum case necked up and not planning on going with anything bigger than a 260 grain bullet. A shorter barrel and lighter weight are not ideal for the big magnums.

I think that I'd be plenty happy if I can get a 250gr Berger to go 2800+ FPS

That is why I'm looking more towards a saum case necked up and not planning on going with anything bigger than a 260 grain bullet. A shorter barrel and lighter weight are not ideal for the big magnums.

I think that I'd be plenty happy if I can get a 250gr Berger to go 2800+ FPS
I understand your point. The 33 nosler and a necked up 300 wsm should work well in your application.
Your wish list is definitely asking a lot. Something has to give.

Honestly, a 30 cal something might be a better option...... even though you want a 33. Good luck wth your search.