South Carolina black bear hunting

Discussion in 'Bear Hunting' started by Jay323, Jul 21, 2015.

1. Jay323

Jay323 New Member

I'm planning to hunt some black bear this year with a friend but all I ever use is my trusty 8mm mauser rifle. Would that be enough for the black bear here in South Carolina? I load my cartridges with a Sierra 220gr SPBT Game King bullet with a nice healthy dose of IMR 4350. Chronoing around 2700fps.

2. Catahoula

Catahoula Well-Known Member

It all comes down to shot placement. That is plenty of bullet. Black bears just don't take that much killing. Practice, practice & practice!
    Good luck, Kirk

3. domit

domit New Member

that works about like a 3006 rember to send pictures.

4. HARPERC

HARPERC Well-Known Member

I would use it. Any of the medium bores, launching bullets with sectional densities in the 0.3 range at moderate velocity give will give reliable performance on black bears.

I don't know the 8mm Mauser, so I'm honestly just asking, I wouldn't have expected 2700 fps is that usual?

It wouldn't change my answer 2500 +/- would still work well.

5. Jay323

Jay323 New Member

If you load to the more traditional load for the 8x57 cartridge it will do about anything the American 30-06 will do. The Factory load ammo here in the states are very watered down for the 8x57 cartridge. It's sad really it's a good cartridge when it's loaded to it's potential. I've seen some loads reach slightly above 3000fps with a 196gr FMJ. Military loads like the Turkish 8x57 cartridge runs HOT!

Thanks for all the replies! I thought I would have to buy another rifle or sell some organs to my dad to use the 35 Whelen! LOL

6. HARPERC

HARPERC Well-Known Member

Hey now! You never said you had access to a .35 Whelen-That could change the entire discussion. LOL! Good Luck!