South Carolina black bear hunting

Jay323

I'm planning to hunt some black bear this year with a friend but all I ever use is my trusty 8mm mauser rifle. Would that be enough for the black bear here in South Carolina? I load my cartridges with a Sierra 220gr SPBT Game King bullet with a nice healthy dose of IMR 4350. Chronoing around 2700fps.

It all comes down to shot placement. That is plenty of bullet. Black bears just don't take that much killing. Practice, practice & practice!
Good luck, Kirk

I would use it. Any of the medium bores, launching bullets with sectional densities in the 0.3 range at moderate velocity give will give reliable performance on black bears.

I don't know the 8mm Mauser, so I'm honestly just asking, I wouldn't have expected 2700 fps is that usual?

It wouldn't change my answer 2500 +/- would still work well.

If you load to the more traditional load for the 8x57 cartridge it will do about anything the American 30-06 will do. The Factory load ammo here in the states are very watered down for the 8x57 cartridge. It's sad really it's a good cartridge when it's loaded to it's potential. I've seen some loads reach slightly above 3000fps with a 196gr FMJ. Military loads like the Turkish 8x57 cartridge runs HOT!

Thanks for all the replies! I thought I would have to buy another rifle or sell some organs to my dad to use the 35 Whelen! LOL

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.