Black Bear Hunting, 2017

Guy M

My son and I have done well on our spot and stalk black bear hunts here in Washington, once we figured bears out, in 2010.

Last year I managed to call a bear in with a mouth-blown predator call, to about 15 or 20 yards, and it was AMAZING! I was so pumped, even though I didn't shoot it. John wants me to call a bear in to that close range for him this year. I'm going to try! He's taken two black bear but they were both longish shots at about 150 and about 320 yards, with his .30-06 rifle.

This time he has selected the .30-30 Glenfield topped by the little 2.5x Leupold and 170 grain ammo. I suspect we may just use Federal factory ammo, as it shoots so well from the little lever action.

If I take a rifle, I'll be back to the ol' black bear slaying .375 H&H Ruger Number One which is now topped by a 3x Leupold. Am looking hard at a pile of 270 grain Hornady Round Nose bullets, and also some ancient 270 grain Nosler Partitions. Probably load either to a modest 2600 fps or so.

Hunting area is maybe a 30 min drive from home. Season opens August 1st. We'll be hitting the range fairly regularly before then.

Guy

I'm also in Central Washington and have been scouting every chance I get down in KitCo. Still haven't decided on a firearm yet (Custom 300WSM Bolt Rifle or 44 Mag Lever Carbine) but August 1st can't arrive quick enough!
Good luck and shoot straight!

Lots of people say bears are not hard kill, you don't need alot of gun. But for me, I like what Elmer Keith said, I want my hunting done when I pull the trigger.

Lots of people say bears are not hard kill, you don't need alot of gun. But for me, I like what Elmer Keith said, I want my hunting done when I pull the trigger.
I've never heard that Keith quote before, but I like it
I have matured in my beliefs recently. Fast, light caliber coppers for everything deer or smaller and big, fat, heavy hardcasts for anything bigger.

Ya, I've used the .375 H&H Number One on three Washington black bears now.

It works!

Normally use the 260 gr Nosler Accubond. It's awesome!

But am hoping for a shorter-range scenario this time around... We will see.

Guy

Mine was extremely short ranged which im sure led to the eye opening performance. I like the hornady 220gr sp's out of that gun as well even though they may be a bit lightly constructed. I do have a .375 JDJ in a #3 that will get the nod for my fall bear, but only on sunny days with short walks. Its just too **** fancy for getting any scratches on. White glove affairs only haha

I've never heard that Keith quote before, but I like it
I have matured in my beliefs recently. Fast, light caliber coppers for everything deer or smaller and big, fat, heavy hardcasts for anything bigger.

It would be interesting to know his opinion on modern ammo that expands.

A light cartidge with modern ammo is not what it was 50 years ago. He thouhht 44 mag was better than 30-30 in some situations, because bigger hole. Which makes sense to me. Though maybe premium 30-30 ammo now expands.

To me 30-30 for bears, is just to prove you can. I realize it will do it. I realize that are not elephants. But I just don't see the point. But I am not all that nostallgic, at times. Though supper was venison on cast iron.

... He thouhht 44 mag was better than 30-30 in some situations, because bigger hole. Which makes sense to me. Though maybe premium 30-30 ammo now expands...
I think inside 100 yards, the 44 mag destroys the 30-30. I just ordered some Cast Performance gas check hard casts along with some Hawk Bullets 300gr bullets for my little 44 carbine. Those Hawks expand like crazy and will leave a hole about quarter size on whatever they hit! I'm gonna try them both out in my little hammer and see which it likes better. I'm hoping to get 1700+ fps and know either bullet will smash a bear easily.

....I think inside 100 yards, the 44 mag destroys the 30-30. I just ordered some Cast Performance gas check hard casts along with some Hawk Bullets 300gr bullets for my little 44 carbine. Those Hawks expand like crazy and will leave a hole about quarter size on whatever they hit! I'm gonna try them both out in my little hammer and see which it likes better. I'm hoping to get 1700+ fps and know either bullet will smash a bear easily......[/QUOTE

I agree with all of that. I've not had much luck with the .30-30 penetrating. The .44 has been a solid performer in both rifle and handgun. A friend just picked up one of the old Ruger semi-auto, I've got the lever version, and hope it makes at least one trip this season.

Which .44 are you playing with?

..... I do have a .375 JDJ in a #3 that will get the nod for my fall bear, but only on sunny days with short walks. Its just too **** fancy for getting any scratches on. White glove affairs only haha....

We used a #3 in .375 Winchester on bear, the old Winchester 250 grain load worked well on bear.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.