Son wants a long range high speed rig Which cartridge?

Some rifles will shoot 1/4 m.o.a. and some wont, just the way it is. I had a 280 Rem I shot for years that was hard to find a load for. I had CA 300 WM was the only one I ever could not get to shoot Bergers out of atleast a dozen rifles I've loaded for pretty sure I know why it wouldn't. The 280 I dont know, was it barrel, bedding, or the way it was smithed dont know it just seemed to be finicky maybe it was me.
Some people dont like recoil and dont shoot bigger cartridges well, I just dont believe " overbore" cartridges are any harder to find a load for than others.

Going to digress and differ. Between now and XMAS, put the 300 win mag barrel on and find a place for you two to go and shoot some LR steel. My bet is after 40 rds and seeing the reloading and cost of mags in barrel life, he might be more open to something that will be more reasonable. Nothing wrong with 300 win mag but 1200 rds tops normally. However, if you have to have it, look at this. Low recoil, flat shooting. http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/?s=gap+6+GT&submit=Search

Going to digress and differ. Between now and XMAS, put the 300 win mag barrel on and find a place for you two to go and shoot some LR steel. My bet is after 40 rds and seeing the reloading and cost of mags in barrel life, he might be more open to something that will be more reasonable. Nothing wrong with 300 win mag but 1200 rds tops normally. However, if you have to have it, look at this. Low recoil, flat shooting. http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/?s=gap+6+GT&submit=Search

Neat looking little round, but that does not really fall under:
Son wants a long range high speed rig Which cartridge?

Were down to 264 winmag Or 257 Weatherby
With the arrival of the new Berger 156 EOL bullet I think the 264 should be the heavy favorite. This bullet has shot very good in my 6.5 PRC exceeding 3000 fps. Just shot 1000 yard steel in Utah at 3 Mile Creek range with this bullet.

With the 264 you should be able to easily get up to 3100fps if not exceed it. And a side note the 156 has a sectional density of 0.32, so it can penetrate.

With the arrival of the new Berger 156 EOL bullet I think the 264 should be the heavy favorite. This bullet has shot very good in my 6.5 PRC exceeding 3000 fps. Just shot 1000 yard steel in Utah at 3 Mile Creek range with this bullet.

With the 264 you should be able to easily get up to 3100fps if not exceed it. And a side note the 156 has a sectional density of 0.32, so it can penetrate.

Don't you think that the Win Mag. is almost duplicating their 7 Mag.?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.