Son wants a long range high speed rig Which cartridge?

I think the more aggressive 6.5's have made the .264 more popular.

Life goes in circles. There is nothing new under the sun. The .264 was hated for being hard on barrels and lost out to the 7rem because it was deemed less versatile. Now 6.5s are all the rage, and with these new hot rods the old 264 win suddenly shines as a sensible, practical, magnum 6.5 cartridge. It's the same phenomena I've observed and pointed out in another thread about Hornady a tips. Decades of technological breakthroughs and research and development and optimizing and perfecting have led them to the revelation that metal tips are superior to plastic. The Remington bronze point just might have been the very first true tipped hunting bullet ever marketed, long before plastic tips were a thing. What an epiphany.

......The Remington bronze point just might have been the very first true tipped hunting bullet ever marketed, long before plastic tips were a thing. What an epiphany.......

Never saw one missing the tip. Never saw one affected by recoil-magazine damage.

Seriously doubt flight deformed the tip.

Some new models aren't hollow enough behind the tip, and actually interfere with expansion.

Hopefully some of the newer aluminum tips address some of the issues. For now though many come up short,

something tells me the Nosler will be coming out with a "breakthrough" tip design pretty soon

Hornady created the tip buzz with the non-melty tips a while back and now the A-Tip

Federal has their own version of the perfect tip we all need

the more the merrier, I'll shoot them all (at least once, ha) ... Shooters have never had more bullets to choose from, it's awesome ! Bring it on

Sorry for the derail, carry on

Attachments

• IMG_9453.jpg
    IMG_9453.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_9455.jpg
    IMG_9455.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 137
Don't you think that the Win Mag. is almost duplicating their 7 Mag.?
True, I was just answering a post saying they were choosing between a 257 Weatherby and a 264 Win Mag. My hunting has always required long range shooting do I favor higher BC bullets and the 25 Cal cartridges are great but the bullet selection is poor compared to the 6.5 selection.

I'm putting together a 264 win mag as well on a Savage action. Just waiting for the barrel i want to be in stock.

True, I was just answering a post saying they were choosing between a 257 Weatherby and a 264 Win Mag. My hunting has always required long range shooting do I favor higher BC bullets and the 25 Cal cartridges are great but the bullet selection is poor compared to the 6.5 selection.

It is poor in that there is only one option, but that option is proving to be pretty solid. I haven't got to shoot my 131 BJs yet, hopefully this weekend. I hope they shoot as well for me as they have for others. I cannot argue that there are a lot more 6.5s between 140-156 gr. It's a double edged sword for me, I'd like to see more high bc .257 options, but hope the Blackjack guys get a good run of selling before the market gets diluted. I will be true to Blackjack as long as they shoot for me because these guys stepped up and deserve support

My initial thought for your son (13 years old) in a LONG action, but with either a mag or a non-mag bolt face (since you have access to either) was the .25-06 Rem. Mild recoil, flat shooting, and a great hunting round. But I don't know what "long range" means to you and your son (500 yards? 800 yards? 1200 yards.)

When you said you were down to the .257 Weatherby or the .264 Win Mag, then I favored the .257 Weatherby since you don't currently have any .25 caliber rifles. It would 'fill in' the gap for you nicely. Plus it's great for hunting out to 600 yards (deer/antelope; need to be closer to shoot elk and moose.)

But if LONG RANGE is a higher priority, or BIGGER game is on the menu (elk/moose) then the .264 Win Mag will provide higher BC bullets and seem the 'better' choice for a long range hunting rig.

I did like the suggestion @Andrew Massi made earlier to consider the .240 Weatherby if you were really interested in a 'Bee cartridge. The recoil would be lighter than anything discussed so far, but it would be a laser on deer/antelope sized game and, if twisted correctly, it can fire some very high BC bullets, too.

At 13, I sure didn't want to get beat up every time I tripped the sear on my rifle. I think the .240 Weatherby would be my 'pick' (assuming I can't 'sell' you on the .25-06 Rem still!)

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.