Some thoughts on spine shots or DRT

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll add that you are smarter than I thought. You picked up that I was pointing you out and I didn't even mention your name.

Steve

Maybe we can start another thread and you can explain again how heating brass up causes it to get harder. C'mon man!

I swore I would not pick on you anymore but sometimes you make it so hard not to. It must suck to be you, walking around being so superior to all the mental midgets. Nobody around that can carry on an interesting conversation with you. I'm guessing that is ok with you, just knowing that mankind would not be able to cope without your input. All hale the mighty wild rose.

Steve
I was wrong about something, that's part of being human. You on the otherhand stick to ignorance in the face of fact and continue saying things which are provably false.

Don't start a fight you can't win and you won't win this one.

In which cases the spine was missed.

Lots of animals go down hard from lots of diffeent shots due to shock only then to get up and walk or run off.

When you miss the results are predictable.

Which would point to fact that it's a relatively small target to properly hit and sever at even moderate range under field conditions. A 2-3" spinal column which is concealed under hair, hide and muscle is a pretty small target for the average shooter to hit under field conditions.

That doesn't make it a bad shot, it just means that it's important for the hunter to ensure a quick follow up with a killing shot once the animal has been immobilized with the a spine shot. I think that was all Alex was really saying.

I have taken two neck shots in two years on WT does at close range; both with a 45-70, 350 Hornady RN at 1987 fps. Last year she dropped and did not even kick or wiggle. This year it was ugly. Two shots in the neck still did not get the job done. I had to finish the poor animal off with a pistol. I was trying to save as much meat as possible, but will now change back to a lung or heart shot. I shoot within 30 yards of a property line and do not have permission to cross it, so I try to drop them in their shadow.

I have taken two neck shots in two years on WT does at close range; both with a 45-70, 350 Hornady RN at 1987 fps. Last year she dropped and did not even kick or wiggle. This year it was ugly. Two shots in the neck still did not get the job done. I had to finish the poor animal off with a pistol. I was trying to save as much meat as possible, but will now change back to a lung or heart shot. I shoot within 30 yards of a property line and do not have permission to cross it, so I try to drop them in their shadow.
My father was a neck shooter until he shot a muley doe in the neck. She ran off with the bottom of her neck blown out. He shot her in the morning and tracked the rest of the day before he was able to get a finisher into her. She was breathing out of the hole in her neck. Neck shots are spectacular when they go as planned but carry a higher probability of things going wrong.

Steve

Last edited:
0281A371-3567-4750-A1C8-5D9D942AD53A.gif

Keep in mind my only point was to recognize a spine shot and follow up if needed. I don't care where you shoot them so long as they are dead. :)

Yeah, I believe... I've been waiting for someone to raise the BS flag on this post. :D

Funniest Post in the entire Thread!!!

Even better than the nonstop cat fight video. :)

When the gunsmoke and dust cloud clears, I might re-enter. Too much live fire, for the time being. :D

Yeah, I believe... I've been waiting for someone to raise the BS flag on this post. :D

Funniest Post in the entire Thread!!!

Even better than the nonstop cat fight video. :)

When the gunsmoke and dust cloud clears, I might re-enter. Too much live fire, for the time being. :D
Well, I skipped the last few pages but this is obviously a hot topic! In my world spine shots are mistakes that wound. Obviously there is disagreement with that! I dont care, I just wanted to make the point to double check before the high fives and group hugs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.