Some thoughts on spine shots or DRT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex Wheeler

This may be common knowledge but I read it and see it in the LR hunting videos enough that I just want to make this post. Spine shots usually do not kill, they paralyze and leave the animal laying on the ground in extreme pain. If you take a shot and the game drops in their tracks like a CNS shot does, get back on the scope and just double check that you did not spine them. If you did, just put one in the vitals to finish them off. I just see too many videos that are obvious spine shots, the animal drops, and the guys start to jump around high fiving while the game is not dead or even close to dead. Just an observation. I think its time we start recognizing CNS shots for what they are most of the time, wounding shots. As LR hunters I think we need to hold our selves to a higher standard.

Agreed, I've had and seen plenty of those shots where the round hits just behind the shoulder line in the spine. I can say from experience that that animal is very much alive, but badly wounded and paralyzed. In order for the spine hit to actually kill, you have to take a section out in front of the shoulder/leg line. The primary life support nerves are in front of the heart and lungs, so most spine hits behind the shoulder won't kill right away.

1st.deer I got with my first bow was 10 feet straight down. Well it wasn't pretty
and soured me on bow hunting for a season or 2?.. That's a shot I try to avoid
at all costs! It was a Wing Thunderbird recurve..I still have it.. This was 1970
We were hunting at Zalesky State Forrest in Ohio I'll never forget it..

Last edited:
I spined a doe whitetail once and can still remember the blood curtling sounds of her in agony. On one hand I wish it had never happened, for quite obvious reasons. I also know that because I will never forget that event and how it made me feel it changed my perspective on life and hunting more than any other experience in the field.

Most all hits won't kill instantly short of braining it. Shots behind the shoulder are still vitals shots. That's where the lungs and the back of the heart are. That will kill just as fast as a direct heart shot straight through the shoulders. I've made both of those shots many times over the years. Each has just as much of a chance of a DRT or them running, or flopping over and kicking for a minute or 2. Every animal is different, every situation is different, therefore every reaction will be different and unpredictable. But as long as you know you made a quality kill-shot, the animal will have minimal suffering, and a quick and humane death...And that's honestly all that any hunter can ask for. But it requires us as hunters to do our part and respect the animals we harvest, by doing our best, and ensuring that we're 110% sure of our shot before pulling the trigger.

Last edited:
In my opinion, DRT is over rated.....somewhere along the way DROPPED right there, got changed to DEAD right there. I see it time and time again where even other sportsman are attacking hunters for the animals "suffering" when the animal runs after the shot. The reality is exactly as Alex stated. Same people attack archery hunters for same reason, I'll always be a through the ribs shooter first choice. Just my opinion, but I think any other aim point on a game animal is a precision shot, and should not be touted to the masses as THE shot to take.

We all have a duty as a hunter to be Humane To kill an animal with a single shot is the goal of every responsible hunter. shot placement is very vital Shoot it again as quickly and safely as you can so it doesn't have to suffer any longer.

Last edited:
My main point here is to learn to recognize a spine shot. When you see an animal drop in their tracks, watch it to be sure its dead. Spine shots are pretty obvious, and while they do cause an animal to drop, its still missing the mark same as a gut shot. You see it all the time in the videos, guys celebrating when they should be putting another shot into the animal.

My main point here is to learn to recognize a spine shot. When you see an animal drop in their tracks, watch it to be sure its dead. Spine shots are pretty obvious, and while they do cause an animal to drop, its still missing the mark same as a gut shot. You see it all the time in the videos, guys celebrating when they should be putting another shot into the animal.
AS JJmoody said great topic before hunting season and always first on our mind..Thanks Alex

Very much agree with all here. One thing not mentioned, a miss of the spine, high or low. A terrible wound, from which the animal may even survive....but only after a long painful process. Often a near spine hit, appears to be a spine hit....only to have the animal get back to it's feet and escape. memtb

Status
Not open for further replies.