Some thoughts on spine shots or DRT

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's true a shot that is close enough to the spine to transfer some of that shock will drop an animal in its tracks. But that animal will recover and get up and run. You hear those stories all the time or a guy dropped something in its tracks then he gets there and it's gone. Usually that is just under the spine and too high for lungs. To be honest if I'm hunting elk that's the last thing I want to see is a drop in their tracks. I would always be ready to take a follow-up shot. On the other hand if they run 50 yards and fall over you know it was a good shot

You know the DRT shots make for good TV but they don't show the the kill shot after they zoom out really fast and after the celebrating is over. I think they're doing a disservice by not really educating people on what's Happening. I know it has an effect because you see it in the home videos just like you do in the TV shows

Whenever I watch hunting shows I have a tendency to observe where the impact is and what the shooter's follow through (up) is. Seen plenty of "bad shots" that dropped the animal only to zoom out and when they walk up there is a hole behind the shoulder. I get it, it happens in hunting. Just don't try and lead me astray. You'll earn more of my respect by showing how you handled your mishap.

When someone pointed this out Randy Newberg stated in YouTube comments for one of the fresh tracks episodes that he wasn't allowed to show finishing shots on television.

When someone pointed this out Randy Newberg stated in YouTube comments for one of the fresh tracks episodes that he wasn't allowed to show finishing shots on television.
I was just fixing to say, I bet they can't/don't show it because of the "PC Police"...

neck shots, when range and ability allows, are pretty well DRT, bang/flops. sure, if you spine a animal caudally to where the innervation to the vitals delineates from the vertebra, it will live yet experience hind limb or potential full paralysis. you sever the spinal column cranial to the visceral innervation, and the heart/lungs/diaphragm/everything is cut off from neurotransmission and will cease to function nearly instantaneously.

yes, you can miss and only hit trachea/esophagus/muscle. there are inherent risks to every shot placement. I'm not here to argue, but in my opinion when hunting in heavy brush areas where a lung shot deer may run 200 yards and will never be found, is not better than a neck shot that drops it in its tracks.

My friend got his first elk last week. It was an accidental spine shot. As it turned out she fell in a way that we could not follow up from our position. Had to quickly cover the ground to finish. I apologized to him because it is not a fun way to take an animal. It just doesn't always go down the way we want.

I will throw in my .02. Intentional spine shots are not a good option.

Steve

Gotcha, I believe I also heard him say his sponsor wouldn't allow him to shoot a bedded animal.

My friend got his first elk last week. It was an accidental spine shot. As it turned out she fell in a way that we could not follow up from our position. Had to quickly cover the ground to finish. I apologized to him because it is not a fun way to take an animal. It just doesn't always go down the way we want.

Steve
You recognized it and rushed to finish the animal. Thats all Im getting at. I just want people to understand that a bang/flop does not always mean dead or dying.

Steve
I spined a large bull caribou at 850yds across a river bed and up on the opposing mountain side about 8yrs ago. It was going to take a good 20 minutes to descend, cross, and then climb again into view of the animal for a finishing shot. All I could see was the top of his neck, due to the depression he dropped into.

I took careful aim and surprised even myself with a hit to the spinal cord in the neck. Only way I knew it was a finishing shot was the front leg stiffened to where I could see it momentarily, and then relaxed and again disappeared from sight.

Best long range shot I've made to date. At least one that didn't involve an excess of luck. That shot caused an instant recognition of the folly of the high shoulder shot.

By the way, I was aiming center of ribs on the first shot. Bad on me for that one...

......I'm not here to argue, but in my opinion when hunting in heavy brush areas where a lung shot deer may run 200 yards and will never be found, is not better than a neck shot that drops it in its tracks.

Skip the celebration until you've finished packing it out. There are still stories of game "waking up" during the process of cleaning. I'm prone to using finishers on almost every shot.

https://www.encore-editions.com/meats-not-meat-til-its-in-the-pan-by-charles-marion-russell/

I think those TV shows give a false impression that anyone can shoot like that
with the right gear (theirs) When in fact it takes a lot of practice and then some more!
Knowing your effective range and staying within it is a big deal shooting at a live animal.
Paper or steel..Bang away and have fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.