Some guys I just don't get?

I can say you did all anyone could ask of a business. Everyone makes mistakes and screws up. All you can do is try and make it right. You not only didn't screw up but offered to make it right.

Side note for so people know what type of people the hammer guys are. When I first got into my .375 AM I contacted them about a large order of 400 gr bullets for this. When I told them it was for my extreme long range rig. He told me he would not want to sell me his bullets because he didn't feel comfortable with the development yet.
I told him Kirby was doing load work one time for me. That did not matter to Steve. He gave up a very large order at a time he was building a company and I'm sure wanting the revenue.
But he wanted to make sure I was happy overall. He actually agreed at that time I should use another makers bullet.
This is the type of person you are all dealing with. Tells a lot about a person when they are willing to take the hit sales to make sure you get a product that suites your specific needs.
Sometimes I don't get why people have such an issue with one product that they go so far out of the way to get people to not use it. If it doesn't work for you don't use it.

My perspective is that this is a win-win in Steve's eyes. He can make that offer and if it's taken, whichever way it goes, he can either blame the rifle, the shooter if he gets it shooting better, or just say he tried and refunded the money for his bullets and have it told how super generous he is, etc, etc.., OR, he doesn't take the offer and can make this type of post telling everyone the offer he made and still tell everyone he's so generous.

My perspective is also that this is playing the victim once again. To me, it's absolutely ridiculous that the only 2 possibilities Steve sees and states is that it has to either be someone lying about who he is or that they're only interested in badmouthing Hammer. That just screams victim to me.

Make your offer. That's fine. But if he doesn't respond or says no thanks, let it go. Why make this thread other than the reasons I just mentioned? It's just not a good look.

This just my perspective, to be clear and fair.

how would the tightness of a barrel change the bc of the bullet? Does it deform or the engraving causes resistance in flight? One thing that is not cool is inflating that number to look better on paper.

how would the tightness of a barrel change the bc of the bullet? Does it deform or the engraving causes resistance in flight? One thing that is not cool is inflating that number to look better on paper.
A tighter bore engraves farther out onto the ogive causing trouble. Particularly with a tangent ogive.

So then if the logic follows... hammer bullets are for those without high expectations?

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

Depends on your definition of high expectations, your reloading gear, process, firearms and optics are refined enough to reliably determine the difference between a 1/4 MOA and a 1/2 MOA bullet. For the rest of us something else in our system limits us way before the bullet does.

After all your testing last year showed that the Hammers were faster and fouled less than other bullets you had tested. They would easily hit 1/2 MOA you just couldn't get them to consistently group better than that. Considering 1/2 MOA is well within what I would require to kill anything as far as I could shoot it here in PA that is more than good enough for me.

Speaking of the testing how did those .22 Creedmoor test ever go? I was waiting for more info however the thread died off after you mentioned a different design.

My dad had a .30-.378 sharp shouldered wildcat that had a almost squeeze bore barrel , made for pressure spikes and fluctuations in accuracy, this predated mono bullets for the most part, wish I had the rifle still but it only did well at the ragged edge of pressure as I recall. it was made on a custom single shot action with a 40 inch barrel that my dad sourced from europe some time in the 60s I think...the rifle was sold with everything dies log books, research, spare barrels parts, some early plated tungsten bullet combos...I kind of wonder if today's mono bullets would work better in this rifle than the cup and core he had...tungsten plated was expensive and a little too cutting-edge...

Last edited by a moderator:
I t
It took over a week from the time I made the offer to get frustrated enough to start this thread. He said he just forgot. Could be. The point of the thread was not to exact revenge but to air my frustration. Some of you that think I am out of line seem to think I should publicly name the individual? I don't understand the point. Just to make me more out of line in your eyes?

I am pretty much an open book. Yes, sometimes we see some rifles that truly tank the bc of our bullets. We could probably remedy that with a secant ogive but they tend to be less forgiving and cost several grains of bullet weight for the same amount of twist. We will likely be making more bc aggressive bullets in the future. They will likely be tougher to load develop and not what we wanted to enter into the market with as a new company. We now have a reputation of easy and forgiving to load so it is probably time to start looking at bullet designs that are more aggressive.

I will likely never make an offer like this again. Just not worth the effort. People that go out of their way to try and make us look bad are never receptive to an offer from us to fix the problem.
I think you are being more than generous offering to help this poor soul. I would and actually do want to know the issue. It would be nice to know if it is the bullet, the powder used, primer, rifle or the shooter. I feel for you being bashed by those that have nothing better to do. Just think how miserable their lives are and be glad we this is the only dealings we have to have with them. An old guy I worked for years back once told me. Worry about the customers you have and the rest will work itself out. That has served me pretty good for 30+ years.
And BTW......I have never used your product, but will now.

Speaking of the testing how did those .22 Creedmoor test ever go?

The absolute best averaged performance I could consistently get out of any of the several batches of .22cal bullets sent, was roughly 5/8 MOA... with the average across multiple rifles being closer to 3/4 most of the time if I took the measurement of more than 2-3 cherry-picked groups. I'd shoot a group in the .2's, followed by a group in the .7's. Two groups in the .3's... followed by 15 groups in the .6's. That repeated itself no matter which batch of bullets were sent. I showed the 22 creed main rifle testing on this very site, and I'm pretty sure everyone could feel how much I wanted it to work. What people didn't see, was just how much I wanted it to work. Three 22BRA's, one 22BR, one .223AI, four or five 22 creedmoors with 2 different chambers, and one 22 PRC Primal. Almost a dozen different powders tried. Five different primers. Several different sizing/crimping methods/tools, the best dies on the planet, and top of the line presses. Three different twist rates. Four different rifling configurations. Hundreds of rounds fired. Rifles that weigh from 12lbs to 22lbs. The main test rifle had a 26" VCC contour (MTU+) and a Foundation Exodus stock and a Tangent Theta 525P on it. I bet it tipped the scales at 20lbs. Only one rifle was on the 12lb side of the spectrum, literally every other rifle was a heavy weight varminter. I'd have settled with .3's and gone about the wear testing, maybe even .4's... but .6's? .7's? .8's? .9's? How in the world am I expected to show when a barrel is worn out when it shoots worse brand new with hammer bullets than a barrel that is completely worn out already with cup/core bullets?

Never in my career have I expended this kind of effort to try to get bullets to shoot.

I even tried to take the advice of the "just be happy with 5/8 and go hunt" crowd. Yet when I'm shooting at a 12" plate at 600yds, and can barely keep the rifle on the plate... and flyers will straight up miss the entire plate, and the bullets won't fly as predicted and don't behave even remotely the same in cold conditions as hot... Some of the worst performance in the wind, that I've ever experienced with a bullet. No thanks, I'm not going hunting with that. I was getting them for free, and I still won't use them.

I just quietly let the project die. My hope was that there would be improvements and eventually they'd land on the perfect 22 cal bullet. I let it lay like that for over a year. Yet recent threads have caused me to reevaluate that decision. They won't be getting the benefit of the doubt from me on anything going forward. This thread is just one more example of it. Considering what I've seen, the thought of steve doing load dev for someone else, is comical.

This isn't meant to dismiss those of you having happy experiences with Hammer. If you're happy, you're happy... and I'd never tell you to not be. However, the concept that it's only the ignorant and inexperienced that can't get solid performance from these bullets is a lie, and I wanted to make sure that was known. If you're happy with what you're getting, then go on being happy.

I just think it would be nice for those of you to stop acting like those that are unhappy, are somehow of diminished mental capacity... because I'd put my shooting resume and intellect to the toe of anyone on here. My capabilities and experience is easily referenced at this point.

Personally, I'm sick of small boutique solid bullet manufacturers. I've talked with so many of them and within 30 minutes their lack of experience is so painfully obvious that it makes talking to them difficult. Beyond frustrating. They are so accustomed to selling their products to people that don't have any real expectations, that they can't even answer moderate level technical questions honestly. They just change the subject and try to spin things... and try to convince me that I shouldn't want 1/4 MOA. Thankfully for them, most shooters failed math class and can't seem to understand that if you can't turn out 1/4 MOA precision regularly... then you can basically forget about 1/2 MOA practical field accuracy. Statistically, you just won't be able to stay on top of the condition and ammo variables well enough to shoot a 1/2 MOA precision to 1/2 MOA accuracy across a large enough number of shots.

Cutting edge, and hornady. They clearly understand a few things that the other guys just can't get through their thick heads when it comes to making solids shoot... but even those won't seem to shoot with the cup/core bullets on the smaller cals. Obviously the big bores .338 and above play by different rules. Much easier to get good performance from solids up there in the cheytac world. Been there, done that, was fun, don't do it anymore.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

The absolute best averaged performance I could consistently get out of any of the several batches of .22cal bullets sent, was roughly 5/8 MOA... with the average across multiple rifles being closer to 3/4 most of the time if I took the measurement of more than 2-3 cherry-picked groups. I'd shoot a group in the .2's, followed by a group in the .7's. Two groups in the .3's... followed by 15 groups in the .6's. That repeated itself no matter which batch of bullets were sent. I showed the 22 creed main rifle testing on this very site, and I'm pretty sure everyone could feel how much I wanted it to work. What people didn't see, was just how much I wanted it to work. Three 22BRA's, one 22BR, one .223AI, four or five 22 creedmoors with 2 different chambers, and one 22 PRC Primal. Almost a dozen different powders tried. Five different primers. Several different sizing/crimping methods/tools, the best dies on the planet, and top of the line presses. Three different twist rates. Four different rifling configurations. Hundreds of rounds fired. Rifles that weigh from 12lbs to 22lbs. The main test rifle had a 26" VCC contour (MTU+) and a Foundation Exodus stock and a Tangent Theta 525P on it. I bet it tipped the scales at 20lbs. Only one rifle was on the 12lb side of the spectrum, literally every other rifle was a heavy weight varminter. I'd have settled with .3's and gone about the wear testing, maybe even .4's... but .6's? .7's? .8's? .9's? How in the world am I expected to show when a barrel is worn out when it shoots worse brand new with hammer bullets than a barrel that is completely worn out already with cup/core bullets?

Never in my career have I expended this kind of effort to try to get bullets to shoot.

I even tried to take the advice of the "just be happy with 5/8 and go hunt" crowd. Yet when I'm shooting at a 12" plate at 600yds, and can barely keep the rifle on the plate... and flyers will straight up miss the entire plate, and the bullets won't fly as predicted and don't behave even remotely the same in cold conditions as hot... Some of the worst performance in the wind, that I've ever experienced with a bullet. No thanks, I'm not going hunting with that. I was getting them for free, and I still won't use them.

I just quietly let the project die. My hope was that there would be improvements and eventually they'd land on the perfect 22 cal bullet. I let it lay like that for over a year. Yet recent threads have caused me to reevaluate that decision. They won't be getting the benefit of the doubt from me on anything going forward. This thread is just one more example of it. Considering what I've seen, the thought of steve doing load dev for someone else, is comical.

This isn't meant to dismiss those of you having happy experiences with Hammer. If you're happy, you're happy... and I'd never tell you to not be. However, the concept that it's only the ignorant and inexperienced that can't get solid performance from these bullets is a lie, and I wanted to make sure that was known. If you're happy with what you're getting, then go on being happy.

I just think it would be nice for those of you to stop acting like those that are unhappy, are somehow of diminished mental capacity... because I'd put my shooting resume and intellect to the toe of anyone on here. My capabilities and experience is easily referenced at this point.

Personally, I'm sick of small boutique solid bullet manufacturers. I've talked with so many of them and within 30 minutes their lack of experience is so painfully obvious that it makes talking to them difficult. Beyond frustrating. They are so accustomed to selling their products to people that don't have any real expectations, that they can't even answer moderate level technical questions honestly. They just change the subject and try to spin things... and try to convince me that I shouldn't want 1/4 MOA. Thankfully for them, most shooters failed math class and can't seem to understand that if you can't turn out 1/4 MOA precision regularly... then you can basically forget about 1/2 MOA practical field accuracy. Statistically, you just won't be able to stay on top of the condition and ammo variables well enough to shoot a 1/2 MOA precision to 1/2 MOA accuracy across a large enough number of shots.

Cutting edge, and hornady. They clearly understand a few things that the other guys just can't get through their thick heads when it comes to making solids shoot... but even those won't seem to shoot with the cup/core bullets on the smaller cals. Obviously the big bores .338 and above play by different rules. Much easier to get good performance from solids up there in the cheytac world. Been there, done that, was fun, don't do it anymore.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

And you still have the bullets.

deer-eats-popcorn_64.gif

I'm always late to threads. My wife has a nice little Sako .204 arriving tomorrow which won't group HH 31 gr bullets at all, even though my Dakota loves them. I'll even drive it to your shop. Oh, and if it's not too much trouble, could you mount the scope as well? ;)

You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time.
Abe Lincoln

And I hate to reply to my own post, but I tried really hard, and succeeded, not to add..

"I'll let you be in my dream if I can be in yours. I said that."
Bob Dylan, Talkin' World War Three Blues