Some 200 Wildcat numbers

ss7mm,

I assure you the reason you do not have your rifle is because your smith is dragging his feet. Dragging my *** at times but not my feet /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!!

As soon as Dan gets me those barrels we will be in business. Then I have to get Redding to stop taking 3 week vacations so I can get the dies in stock for the rifles!!

It should not be much longer until you have a 270 AM to play with anyway!!! I truely appreciate everyones patients as I know full well how hard it is to wait for something like this.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Gentlemen,
Is there an unspoken agreement about no one ever talking about BC's? I surely would like to know what others are figuring based on dakor's field data. I understand we want to keep it civilized, but not frightenized (just made that word /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif). I do respect the majority's feelings about it!
Greetings to all,
Javier Moncada

Kirby I was just giving you a hard time!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Until you mentioned them I have never heard of Wildcat bullets and the more you stock the easier they are to get so by all means stock up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif One day Kirby when gas does not cost a kidney I would like to get together and do some shooting with you if you do not mind since we are only 14 hours away from each other. Who knows you might even have me talked into a Allen mag before we are done. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Somebody please post a bc on my data. I have an idea what it is but I do not want to have made a mistake and some have a lot better software to use then I. This weekend looks like lots of wind again and rain is what they are saying so far. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif I have a feeling somebody does not want me to finish testing this bullet. I will say I am going to save one of the bullets I have for a real test come November if you know what I mean. I feel sorry for the Doe that has that big 200 going through her ribs. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Gentlemen,
I just received personal e-mail from Buffalobob and ss7mm and their reasoning is very good! I thank them for taking time and saying what they said. LET'S LEAVE THE BC TALK ALONE!!!!!!!!!
God Bless You All.
Javier Moncada.

Eaglet,

Since I am perhaps the one that is pushing the Wildcat Bullets as hard as anyone, or at least reporting on them, I will come out and say that from the numbers Dakor offers with 2859 fps muzzle velocity and a 2713 fps 100 yard velocity, I come up with a BC of .655 over the first 100 yards of flight.

Everyone here including Dakor would freely admit this is vrey inaccurate to base a BC value of a bullet on the first 100 yards of bullet flight. This is especially true when dealing with a VERY long 200 gr ULD bullet design.

The bullet will stabilize and fly true under its own center of gravity somewhere between 100 and 175 yards and after this point the BC value will increase significantly.

But with the data provided over 100 yards, the BC that my programs tell me is in the .655 range.

I will say personally that from my range testing and from this last bit of testing at 745 yards using the second mil dot down from center as a center hold at this range for dead on impacts, and with a 100 yard impact height of of just over 3", the long range BC is higher then .655 by a significant amount.

I do not post BC developed from bullet drop anymore because to many take this for the pure scientific BC and flt out explode. Its kind of like ****ing in the wind!!!

WIll be interested to see what Dakor offers for 300 yard velocities and then we can get a bit more accurate BC.

One thing I can tell you is that these bullets buck the wind better then any bullet I have every shot at long range. Even better then the 750 gr A-Max in my 50 BMG but this is because of the velocity advantage with a similiar BC bullet. They are impressive in the wind.

From what I have heard this is solely because of BC.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Kirby I agree 100 yards is to close to judge I just put that out there for people to play with some numbers. I feel 300 yards should be a good test for the bc.

Fiftydriver,
Thank you! I guess you were writing when I posted. I've done lots of reading in external ballistics and I agree with you. The more I read the more confused. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Just kidding!
We don't have to agree but we are obligated to be civilized.
Thanks Again!

Eaglet,

Getting numbers from a computer is one thing, seeing what these things will do in the field is truely another issue.

I do not know how this is possible but from using bullet drop over several different ranges to develope an estimated BC, it is DRAMATICALLY higher then the .655 BC I came up with by plugging in Dakors numbers.

Dakor is very well educated in these respects and I take his data to be honest but I will say these bullets drop far less and drift in the wind far less then a bullet with a BC of .655 will, dramatically less.

Most would not believe the BC value that has to be entered into a ballistic program to get the computer generated trajectory to match actual bullet flight, as such, those of us that are testing these bullets have decided to converse privately about specific numbers to save the headache of another blow up here.

Our numbers work, Interetingly enough I used a lower BC then ss7mm came up with for my initial drop chart for this mornings 745 yard range test session. Had I used ss7mms BC value I suspect I would have put that first shot of the morning within 6" of the target on the first shot. Thats without every shooting the rifle past 300 yards and never past 100 yards on paper.

If I posted the BC I used there would be an H-Bomb needed to end this topic thread as well.

Its not worth it, those that are using the bullets know full well what they do. Those that are not using them should realize that we are reporting honestly what we find in our testing and should do the same with their rifles as I would bet they would be impressed with the results /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif!!

For now though, I feel the best way to report on the Wildcat Bullets is to offer accuracy results, solid bullet drop values and leave it at that. Those are tangible things that are not up for biased opinion either way so that is what we will report on and try to keep the need for the Nuke option as low as possible.

Have a good day,

Kirby Allen(50)

Dakor,

Yes I know you were just giving the 100 yard data as a Start to your testing. I was not emplying at all that you though this was enough testing for an accurate BC prediction.

Solid numbers are what we need. Even more then that is field results.

I would like to ask you the same question I ask most others that are starting to test the ULD Wildcat Bullets, what is your opinion of them compared to the standard long range bullets as far as drop and wind drift are concerned?

Have a good evening!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Well Kirby I know they kicked the *&$@ out of my 200 grain Accubonds in the wind that day when I shot them and the Accubond is going a solid 100fps faster out of my 300 win. I think the bullet has a much higher bc then what my 100 yard data shows just because of how it bucked the wind that day. I know my 175 Sierra SPBT's that are going 3125fps on average do not buck the wind like that either. I also might not get the bc you get because you are shooting them faster then I am and the rifle I am using has almost 1700 rounds through it but I used this rifle because it still shoots very well but I have never got it hot either. The bore is not rough on it by any means but I know it is not going to be as smooth as your match barrel wich will affect bc some what. I suppose I could go up a couple of more grains but I figured why when I shot a group like that and have a low ES and SD I will give up 100fps for Accuracy. Kirby can you shoot me an email and tell me what you are getting for a bc? I am going to shoot some 175 Sierras to when I do the testing to see how they compare.

Fiftydriver,
I stand in total agreement. What truly matters is being able to hit the target at different ranges, and that's what you and many others are acomplishing. The info obtained is precious for long range shooters.
[ QUOTE ]
If I posted the BC I used there would be an H-Bomb needed to end this topic thread as well.

[/ QUOTE ]
We Do Not Want That, I do not want that. Thank you all again.
Javier Moncada

Dakor,

I could hardly agree with you more. The nice thing about these bullets is that they will do most of the work for you after they leave the muzzle. They do not need to be driven to hyper velocities to be EXTREMELY potent at long to extreme range.

YOu have enough velocity for shooting easily to the mile mark with these bullets so I would totally agree that accuracy is what you want over getting every FPS you can out of a round.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Well guys, all this talk really hurts deep, because I have been waiting for quite some time for H-S Precision to finish a 17.75 inch 1-7 twist Specialty Handgun for me in 7mm WSM. Richard's 200 grainer is the main bullet I intend to use it (serious attempt anyway) out to the one mile mark. The problem is H-S has been buried with filling orders for our boys overseas, so I just keeps a sitting and a waiting.
It has been said many times that patience is a virtue /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I'm ready to see what will be done in a specialty handgun with these 200's past 1k.
Steve and I will be shooting LR dogs in Pueblo come October. With good conditions we intend to get beyond 1k and start working toward the 1 mile mark with our XP's. I will be using a couple of 6.5-284's and a 6mm-284, while steve has 7mm-270WSM. All I can say is advantage Hugel /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
It sounds like you are staying busy and in the middle of things. What you should do is screw off that 338WSM XP-100 and screw on a 1-7 twist 7WSM (or something with a tad more capacity-a 7mmAM for the pistol guys) and play with that. Or, better yet, send it to me to break in the barrel, load development, LR shooting, etc /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Here's to it good bud. I can't wait to get my 36X Leupold/Siebert LER conversion back. Sent it in for 6 dots @ 3, 6 and 9 MOA either side. Will be able to click to those no problem. I have 2 locations picked out for 1 mile shooting into a pr. dog town. Now assuming a 36" group (maybe 2 MOA) at 1760 yds., and a 6" pr. dog under early morning conditions (calm), that should mean 1 hit in 6 shots for probability, right??

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.