solid rimfire scope for 200+yards?

angus-5024

hey all, Im just inthe process of buying a Savage Mark II Laminate thumbhole and want to put a nice adjustable scope on it. I was looking at the BSA sweet .22 but they look a little too cheap. Anybody got recommendations? Im looking for something with a 40mm bell max.

I have a Leupold VXIII 6.5x20 EFR on my Savage TR. Shooting out to 200 yards with a rim fire needs very good turret control/precision. This set up works great from 10 yards to 200. Some of my buddies use a calibrated reticle for this kind of shooting and do ok but I have found that that limits your ammo selection. You will have to shim the scope mounts to get to 200 yards. I need 15-18 moa with a 100 yard zero depending on the load I use to hit at 200.

I think that VX III are a little more than my rimefire budget allows, but I suppose that a good scope is a good scope.

I use a Burris Fullfield II 6.5-20 that I just leave at 6.5 when I shoot long ranges. It has the ballistic mil dot reticle in it and using the lowest power I'm able to get lots and lots of holdover. I got my longest 22 kill on the 4th of July with a single shot to the head of a ground squirrel at 235 yards! Hits between 50 and 125 yards on pot guts became the norm and I could get them in 2 or 3 shots past the 125 yard mark. Past 125 yards the Federal bulk ammo I was shooting most of the day was just too inconsistent with it's velocities to make consistent long range hits. However, CCI stingers shot amazingly consistent at the longer ranges and I was super sad when my only box ran out.

I also found that the Fed HP bulk is too inconsistent. Tried some of my Remington Eley Match Cluc Extra that I use for silloette. This bullet gives me the best accuracy in my Savage with .5" at 100yards.and is very good at the longer ranges. Starts out slower, but by 200 yards it's moving at the same velocity as the faster stuff. My longest shot was a woodchuck at 195. I'll have to try the Stingers.

I've been using the PFI Rapid Reticle 3-9x on top of my Charger and have killed PD's out to 275 so far. Even spooked a few at 300 using addtl. turret clicks as calcd. from a ballistics program (20 MOA more than the 200-yd. reference line)--

IMG_1255.jpg

Scopes

It is load-specific (32-40 grainers at 1200-1300 mv), but sure works well for the Fed. Auto-Match i'm using now.

the DIP mounts look like a good idea. I think I'll pic one up. Thanks dust.

sscoyote- looks like a good time!

They also sell bottom metal kits in 1/8" in case you try to accurize using screw pressure, and metal trigger guards if yours is plastic.

The Burris 4.5-14x32 Timberline gives outstanding service on my CZ 452. It has AO and ballistic reticle. A real bargain at $220, and I prefer it to the Leupold VXII 3-9x33 EFR. Longest hit so far has been a prairie dog at 262 yards. For closer range woods hunting, the Leupold may be the best scope, but the Timberline gets the nod on the prairie. Don't overlook the Weaver Classic rimfire scopes. They have one with AO that should work really well at about the Timberline price. The Weaver Classic V 2-10x38 should also be considered if the lack of AO doesn't concern you. Look at that 5X zoom range and light weight! The Weaver Classic V 4-16x42 has a compact eyebell and objective lens and is an outstanding performer for long range work. Don't let the 2mm extra objective size fool you, it's as compact as other 40mm scopes with AO.

The Hawke scopes have nice lighted reticles that work really well at rimfire and airgun velocity, designed by UK champion Nick Jenkinson, and the ballistic software works really well for setting up long range shooting. I have one on my BSA .25 cal airgun that I hunt prairie dogs and other varmints with. The Brits like to hunt at night, so the Hawke Nite-Eye scopes come with very good reticle lighting control. Main reason I bought the scope, 3-12x50 Nite-Eye. Too big for your purposes probably, a big hulking scope weighing 22 ounces. For me, it takes the place of a cheap first gen night vision scope and does a better job for way less money.

I use a Nitrex 3-15X42 that works great, but unfortunately they switched the name to the Weaver Superslam and dramatically raised the price... some of the best turrets I've ever used. Like them better than my Sightron SIII. But, a good cheaper option might be a Mueller APT. Have read a lot of positive reviews on them for the price. I would definately stay away from the BSA.. I use Burris Sig rings with 30 MOA inserts in them and have enough adjustment out to 270 yards and the hashmarks in my reticle work out to about 320. Got my longest kill a couple of weeks ago on a groundhog at 280 yards using CCI subsonics. Took 4 shots, but got him on the run! Def some luck involved but can still brag:D

Last edited:
Does anyone have any experience with the Simmons 22LR Pro Target 3-9X40 scope with turrets? I see where you can get them for just a little over a 100 bucks and if they are any good I may just have to give one of them a try. Does anyone else make a scope with turret for a 22LR at a reasonable price?

For a reasonable price on a fine scope, the Redfield Revolutions are hard to top. Good repeatable click adjustments and the guarantee is the Leupold lifetime warranty.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.