200 yards with open sights!

Tyler Kemp

Well, I got this rifle from my grandpa after it sat in a damp basement closet for 20+ years. It looked like:
SingleShotMarlinAction.jpg

SingleShotMarlinBarrel.jpg

I just did a quick refinish and sprayed on some ceramic coating paint stuff, it looks good enough, but the wood turned out real red, I've since added tru-oil to give it some shine:
Cleanedupsingleshot.jpg

I was bored, so today I put some nails to hold a 4"x4" metal plate up on a long board. I stuck it in the ground at 200 yards (lasered), but I couldn't see the plate, so I made a big white square on the board. After about 10 shots I knew where to hold and repainted the plate.

I was shooting prone at first, but couldn't get how I wanted, so I started shooting off of my Bushnell 1500's case. Shooting went really well, except the plate fell every time I hit it, making me get up and walk 200 yards to set it up, hence the 4 shot group instead of 5.:mad:

It looks like it is just under 2 inches:eek: , I was really impressed since my open sight abilities aren't that great and I was shooting off a rangefinder case as a front rest, nothing for a back one. Sometime I'll shoot at the same range off a real bench with a good rest and a scope. It has the elevator type sights, which I had all the way up and holding about 2 feet over the big white square, almost the top of the board.

Marlin200yardopensight2.jpg

EDIT-I am using Wolf MT, does good in most of my guns.

Last edited:
Got me beat. I really admire those guys that shoot slings and irons at 1K. I couldnt hit an elephant without a scope at 200 yards:).

I went to the 4-H smallbore nationals this year and in the position shooting event I got SMOKED. Those people who have been doing it for years shoot some amazing kneeling and standing scores. In prone most folks are pretty close, but kneeling and standing really shows how long you've been at it. Whats interesting though, is in the "sporter" version of that, what they called CMP at nationals is that those position shooters didn't do well at all. When they had their fancy outfits taken off and a sporter rifle with a 6x scope put in their hands, and not near as much time to shoot, their groups really spread out. Same thing for silhouette, I figured I'd see some real good scores from them, but maybe going from peeps to scopes is tough?

??

good job on your 200 yd target. I too shoot 4-H and I'm not tryin to start anything but in 4-H for air rifle at 33ft and smallbore at 50ft you are not allowed to use anything that magnifies the target so people in standing or 3P shooting sporter,precision and smallbore are not allowed to use anything but peep style sights with no magnification.
Unless you and i are talking about different events Also i've seen some people do outstanding in both the sporter class and precision class they just practice harder than normal to excel in both competitions. keep it up
Sincerely
Cameron
____________________________________________________________--
Leftys are the normal ones in the shootin world!gun)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.