Building the ultimate rimfire scope.....

Bman940

I have asked this question before and thought it might be time to ask again. If you could pick out feature's for your ultimate plinking or target rimfire scope what would you want? Sky's the limit guy's so feel free to go wild.

Affordable (its a rimfire)
Durable
Uber fine cross hair
True dial up and windage knobs and springs
Internal holographic bubble about low 1/4 scope
Internal active range finder top 1/4 of scope

And if you could get it somehow to deflect all wind from the barrel to the target that would be sweet. :D

For a hunting/plinking scope the best thing to perfection is the 3-9X PFI Rapid Reticle...but i wish it were 2FP instead of 1st.

Top end 14x or better, parallax adjustable, 30mm tube, 50mm objective, reticle similar to TMOA with an open center.

For me my little Burris 3-9 AO rimfire/airgun scope is perfect. Clear glad and the AO is a must. Maybe higher power would be good!

Since I started rimfire PRS and LR rimfire shooting, I have been using a Vortex AMG 6x24x50 FFP, Mil scope(borrowed from one of my LR centerfires in the off season. Definitely overkill for typical rimfire shooting where a 3x9 works fine. But with a 20MOA rail in my Savage TR 22LR, I can dial/ or use my EVR-7 reticle on the 400 yard targets in PRS, or shoot pests out to 200+ yards. It's equally effective shooting targets/critters as close as 20 yards.
01237771-5CD9-4361-BDDF-2C2AF9D0758E.jpeg E4C00AF5-3CF4-4BB2-BAEE-B0DBC8C37471.jpeg

May sound crazy, but I had a NF benchrest 12x42 available so I put that on my 10/22! I figured it would be fine for shooting from 25 to 50 yards to find the perfect ammo. So far, I'm a happy shooter! I will probably take it off when I find the best ammo and put a more suitable scope on it. .......or not!:cool:

I have had the new Optika6 3-18x56 from Meopta for a few weeks now and love it on my Bergara .308 Win. I will also be giving it a go on my CZ 455 Tactical 22 LR rifle, it should be quite a pairing for critter shooting. SF down to 10 meters will give rimfire/air rifle shooters a lot of option's and the 3-18x56 will be great for field of view, light transmission and making an accurate shot on target.

IMG_3631.jpeg

The perfect target/plinking scope?

For me, 1" tube, 40mm objective to keep it low on the action, a large zoom range, something around 4-24 or more, good glass and internal workings, positive click 1/8 moa adjustments, zero stops, close focus of 20 yards, side focus and a reticle similar to Leupold's Varmint Hunter. The reticle would need to be thin with maybe a 1/8 moa illuminated dot. Also the magnification adjustment ring would be small, not like some of the sniper wanna be scopes are today.

Possibly make this scope in a 8-32 with a 30 mm tube for the guys that like to shoot out to 200 yards or more.

I'd pay $5-700 for this scope.

It would be a second focal plane.

While I prefer MOA based scopes for my centerfire LRH, I find that my preference is for MILS when using my 22 RF for longer range shooting 50-400 yards. Given the high values of turret (or reticle) correction, the condensed scale of the MIL system is much faster/easier with no trade off in accuracy. My correction for 300 yards in MOA is 44.0 MOA compared to 12.8 MILS. For rimfire PRS it's quite necessary to be competitive. IMO.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.