Smallest & fastest 6mm to consider?

What Size Bullet would be considered the Minimum weight for Deer and what would be the smallest powder column? This would be for a viable Hunting Cartridge. Would something the size of a 6mm PPC be sufficient?
The accuracy of the 6 PPC will blow your mind, it will make a hit on any part of a deer out to 300 yds + a piece of cake..........about 70 grains for bullet weight.

I really enjoy hunting deer with the .243 and 100 grain projectiles. If I'm doing long range hunting, I for something larger. I stepped down from a .243 to a 6mm Dasher and don't see myself using the .243 as is anymore. That being said, the BR sized cases put up good hunting numbers with the heavy bullets out to 400 to 500 yards. I'm going to barrel my .243 to an AI to try and get a bit more range out of the 6mm projectiles.
I haven't looked at the 6 PPC but I'm sure it would be fine for a close up gun.

A few years ago I built a 6mmx6.8 SPC, basically a 6.8 SPC necked down to a 6mm (no fireforming or shoulder/neck changes). We've used it to take a handful of deer. I've been very happy with the results. It has sufficiently anchored deer running 95gr SST's around 2800fps. Very little recoil so you can spot your hits (running a suppressor).

Here's a buck my boy took with it a couple of years ago. The buck dressed out 235 lbs and scored 162". The buck was taken at 200 yards. Bullet entered touching part of the shoulder, removing part of the heart, and then stopped on the back side hide in a couple different pieces. Very happy with the results and a memory that will last a lifetime! This was his first ever hunt for anything.

IMG_2881.jpg
IMG_2897.jpg

for reference, we killed 7 deer last year with a 223 rem using 62 grain Swift Scirocco bullets at 3,000 fps. We had complete pass through on all deer from 56 to 180 yards. All were one shot kills. So that is a pretty diminutive round. Anything 6mm will be that much better. These were Michigan doe that weigh 100-130 on the hoof.

Agreed. We've killed deer with 222Rem, 223, 22-250 etc. Everything from 55gr up to the 80's, with the majority being shot with the Sierra 63SMP, 65GM and my favorite, the 62gr TBBC.

We've also taken deer with 22LR and 22Mag, but that is another story.

we killed 7 deer last year with a 223 rem using 62 grain Swift Scirocco bullets at 3,000 fps.
look at the 6tcu that would be my choice. in the same case capacity and velocities as the others and using 223 brass which is readily available

Building off of these, the very boring old plain-jane anti-cool cartridge of 6x45 is a 223 Rem necked up to .243. 69gn AHs or 90gn Nosler BTs will do work out of it if the shooter is capable. High 2000s up to 3000 FPS depending on barrel length.

Deer are capable of amazing things but at the end of the day pass-thru is pass-thru and if you hit the pump or the air bags the deer is going to die. I've seen deer run after getting hit with Ultra Mags and I've seen deer do belly flop DRTs from 243s, that's as much the animal as the bullet in those cases.

My 6x45 is a 6 Mongoose from MDWS (basically a 6x45 improved with more neck clearance) - recoil is nothing, suppressed this is an AR so it's not Hollywood quiet like my bolt action 300 BLK shooting subs is, but very manageable. Varmint bullets well into the 3k+ FPS range.

A few years ago I built a 6mmx6.8 SPC, basically a 6.8 SPC necked down to a 6mm (no fireforming or shoulder/neck changes). We've used it to take a handful of deer. I've been very happy with the results. It has sufficiently anchored deer running 95gr SST's around 2800fps. Very little recoil so you can spot your hits (running a suppressor).

30* 6mm WOA = is a favorite, it allows you to trim the Neck for longer Pills. Johnny's Reloading Bench did a thorough Multi part series on the WOA. I designed a Reamer called 24 SPC offers the shorter Neck, but never ordered it. This Cartridge won't be for an AR Platform though, so it won't be limited to 2.3" OAL. I'm trying to get away from the Armalite design.
I didn't mention it, but I'd prefer the smaller bolt face .425" or smaller (10mm auto). This is for an Ultra Light Rifle (Survival/Ranch). If I could get the 350 Legend down to 244 I'd already have ordered a Reamer. Brass availability is a bonus. 6mm-222 Mag is the starting point for Boiler Room. My limited amount of research shows anything over 300 yards would take a Magnum to lessen the drop. So if anyone knows of a Cartridge that equals the Dasher's performance and meets this criteria please chime in. "Oliver's Dream Cartridge".

I didn't mention it, but I'd prefer the smaller bolt face .425" or smaller (10mm auto). This is for an Ultra Light Rifle (Survival/Ranch). If I could get the 350 Legend down to 244 I'd already have ordered a Reamer. Brass availability is a bonus. 6mm-222 Mag is the starting point for Boiler Room. My limited amount of research shows anything over 300 yards would take a Magnum to lessen the drop. So if anyone knows of a Cartridge that equals the Dasher's performance and meets this criteria please chime in. "Oliver's Dream Cartridge".
Check out 6mmmax.net for your wishes