Smallest & fastest 6mm to consider?

As for size of bullet, I know people kill them wkth 55 grain b-tips but I don't know if I could ever recommend such. But the 70 hammer, 69 absolute hammer, 69 GS Custom if they still even exist, and the long discontinued 75 grain Barnes X should all be fully capable of sufficient penetration with lots of velocity to ensure major upset, deformation, and tissue destruction.

And I've never used them but the heavy jacketed 85 grain Sierra hpbt gameking (not matchking) has a legit cult following. Must be a reason for that.

Try using a flechett.
It's about a 6mm at the fins. Used them in Vietnam mostly through canons but we converted putting them in 12 GA shotgun shells. It is a steel Dart with about 6mm in diameter. When we used them in shotgun shells the "DARTS" would fly a long way cutting through vegetation and do damage to flesh and bones.I had a few left from the Vietnam War in our Game room. I mentioned that these FLECECHETTEEs were valuable.
After our party that night all the FLECHETTEES went missing Some lowdown scoundrels decided to steel them. We know keep everything under glass locked.
Not the first time had historically valuables stolen from our collections.
We try to let people see the workmanship or just something that changed history
We have had three laptops and 3 cell phones go bad and can't retrieve the data off anything. All my email
My laptop that unfortunately broke - the company said do Google mother board broke.allthat happened was not bworking properly by flicker when turned on. I asked for SSD and they didn't know how to get it out.when I got t ssd it c was coded with 48 bit com code to get all my business answers shooting for over a year.
So now I am locked out of about one years of my data for inventory, invoices & receipts and cu s tomorrow base and most IMPOETANT TAXES
I am paying a computer guru to helped out. Just bought a new laptop through several people to diminish tracking.
Hopefully be back on line sometime next week
Some may think this a joke or going beyound.wait until you see your computer, tablet, phone "HACKED" AND YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW IT!
This should help you decide which 6mm bullet to use!

I'd prefer the smaller bolt face .425" or smaller (10mm auto)
For a bolt action rifle you're realistically looking at .384" (6x45/ 6-223 Rem), .445 (6 ARC), or .470 (243 Win) for bolt faces. There are a bunch of other cartridges that have these case heads, but your saying .'425" or smaller' there's really only the .384 bolt face which puts you in the 222 Rem - 223 Rem - 222 Rem Mag parent case range.

If you'll go up to the PPC .445 bolt face then 6 ARC is right there waiting for you.

My limited amount of research shows anything over 300 yards would take a Magnum to lessen the drop.
Everything drops. Are you trying to max out MPBR so you don't have to dial/ hold? If that's the game forget small cases, build a 6 CM. If you want a smaller case you'll get slower speeds and have to hold. There's no free lunch here.

Why get all esoteric about it unless just for fun? The 243Win is plenty of 6mm, accurate, low recoil, plentiful brass and factory ammo, and a long history of success. Even the 85gr SGKs are said to be very effective on those smaller deer out to 300 yards and are very accurate.

A few years ago I built a 6mmx6.8 SPC, basically a 6.8 SPC necked down to a 6mm (no fireforming or shoulder/neck changes). We've used it to take a handful of deer. I've been very happy with the results. It has sufficiently anchored deer running 95gr SST's around 2800fps. Very little recoil so you can spot your hits (running a suppressor).

Here's a buck my boy took with it a couple of years ago. The buck dressed out 235 lbs and scored 162". The buck was taken at 200 yards. Bullet entered touching part of the shoulder, removing part of the heart, and then stopped on the back side hide in a couple different pieces. Very happy with the results and a memory that will last a lifetime! This was his first ever hunt for anything.

View attachment 386700View attachment 386701
Amazing! What a fine specimen. Good work, and nice custom build!
We pray to find one like that in the mountainous regions of the Sierra Nevadas or foothills. It ain't easy hiking in, finding where they might be, and actually taking one. Taking a buck like this is very hard in these parts.
Your son will always remember this.

For a bolt action rifle you're realistically looking at .384" (6x45/ 6-223 Rem), .445 (6 ARC), or .470 (243 Win) for bolt faces. There are a bunch of other cartridges that have these case heads, but your saying .'425" or smaller' there's really only the .384 bolt face which puts you in the 222 Rem - 223 Rem - 222 Rem Mag parent case range.

If you'll go up to the PPC .445 bolt face then 6 ARC is right there waiting for you.
30* 6mm WOA = is a favorite, it allows you to trim the Neck for longer Pills. Johnny's Reloading Bench did a thorough Multi part series on the WOA. I designed a Reamer called 24 SPC offers the shorter Neck, but never ordered it. - 420" Bolt Face. This Cartridge won't be for an AR Platform though, so it won't be limited to 2.3" OAL. - Not interested in the ARC, it's designed for the AR platform. I'm trying to get away from the Armalite design. And the 2.3" restrictive Box. If I do the 6mm Legend (6-Sport) it will preferably be on the .4" Bolt Face or Luger .394".

80gr Speer hot cores from my 15" encore pistol in 243win have near 90% bang flop on Ky tails so far. The 180ish dressed buck ran about 40yd leaving a good blood trail hit about 120yds. It's been bang flop on 100lb doe out to 250ish yards.
In my rifle 80-100gr mostly 95gr sst have killed deer for me for 20ish years from muzzle to 350yd hasn't disappointed me yet. I've got enough of them to outlast me.

My smallest 6mm was a 6mm-.223, using 60 & 75 grain Sierra HP bullets, dependable, consistent accuracy with a big variety of powder. 12 twist.

My biggest 6mm was a 6mm-06, it had a 8 twist and required about 52 grains of powder like VN165, R-S Magnum for 105's and would blow up 87Vmax's with another 4-5 grains of powder. After 5 or so shots it heated up so much the barrel could not be touched. The usual drill was to take a shot, kill about 5 min than shoot again. Blazing quick, got out to 300 like nothing with about 1 MOA accuracy with 105's. Not for my style of shooting. I just rebarreled it to a 6.5-06,

In between I have a 6mm Rem (8), .243 (8), 6mm Creedmoor (8) & 6mm AI (10). All of them are good shooters with either 87 Vmax or 105 Hornady hpbt or 105 Barnes Match Burners. Of the bunch I favor the 6MM CM with 105's for targets with 4350 type powders and the 10 twist 6mm AI with 87 Vmax's just under 3500 with 50 grains of VN165. The 6mm AI is a real good rodent rifle up to 600 yds, the 87 Vamx flies real good despite its modest G1 BC of .4.

@Hugnot The 87grn V-Max has proven time and time again to be one of the most accurate/easy to tune bullets in 6mm i've ever used.

Having an accuracy issue? Switch to the V-Max & verify it isn't the rifle lol I still use it in a 20" AR-10 in .243win. Switched to the heavier constructed 85grn Partition in my 6mmAI so I could schwack some deer.

I switched to the 112 Match Burner in my 6-284 but i've had a few come apart above 3400fps... not sure if i'll stick with it or not.

OP- I'd probably go 6BR or Dasher & be done with it.

t

The only wildcat I would even consider would be a necked up 5.56 case only because of easy availability. Beyond that go with a SAAMI/CIP cartidge.

For your goals there is no reason for a wildcat and dealing with the extra work.

6x47 is sure nice cartidge as it fits SA even with long bullets seated properly. The 5.56 is obviously the easiest to get and cheapest. But will you want more power and range. It certain would have the longest barrel life. But you can also load to the same vel at lower pressure and/or cooler powder with a larger case like 6x47.

You could get a Creedmoor and then you would only have to get the bullet to pass near the deer to kill it DRT.

Last edited: