Smallest & fastest 6mm to consider?

Wild Monkey

What Size Bullet would be considered the Minimum weight for Deer and what would be the smallest powder column? This would be for a viable Hunting Cartridge. Would something the size of a 6mm PPC be sufficient?

for reference, we killed 7 deer last year with a 223 rem using 62 grain Swift Scirocco bullets at 3,000 fps. We had complete pass through on all deer from 56 to 180 yards. All were one shot kills. So that is a pretty diminutive round. Anything 6mm will be that much better. These were Michigan doe that weigh 100-130 on the hoof.

What Size Bullet would be considered the Minimum weight for Deer and what would be the smallest powder column? This would be for a viable Hunting Cartridge. Would something the size of a 6mm PPC be sufficient?
What distance?
Bodily vitals,, brain shot?

I personally believe that accuracy is the most powerful attribute for killing.
That it far overshadows other ballistic considerations.

Latest semi custom for me. 6mmCM. 26" Bartlein #3 cut at 22" for 5/8x24 threading, 8T on M-70 Classic. Mag box and follower/ spring from Winchester Arms (new Portugal M-70 parts) in 6.5CM fit perfect and surprisingly cheap. Alpha brass, 105VLD and 108 Elite w/ RL 16/17 are usually available. Now need to start load development. Expecting 2915-2970MV.
Edit-Around 40g of said powders. SAAMI chamber works fine.

Attachments

• 6CM.jpg
    6CM.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
I have a custom never fired rem.700..... wood stock by Cloward. Kreiger barrel,metal storage box buttplate,jewel trigger.
Alot of ivory in stock.

If I were going to use a ppc or a br for deer I would load a 55 hammer hunter or a 69 absolute hammer and go kill some deer.

while the grendel, arc, ppc are all good choices and more than adequate for deer, try and find brass that is going to be the biggest problem. look at the 6tcu that would be my choice. in the same case capacity and velocities as the others and using 223 brass which is readily available and in any quality you prefer. as for bullets anything in the 85-100 for cup and core just keep velocities in the optimum working range for proper expansion.

Recent Posts