Considering 6mm x .284 vs. 6mm-06

The 105 is all I have tried in mine, or I guess I should say all I have had to. I do think I could get a lot more out of it if ADG, Peterson, RWS or Lapua would make 25-06 brass. I ask all the time, but it doesn't sound promising. You could neck down the Lapua 30-06, but that's a long way and would require turning it. That would be my only complaint, and it is a small one with the performance I get out of mine.

The 105 is all I have tried in mine, or I guess I should say all I have had to. I do think I could get a lot more out of it if ADG, Peterson, RWS or Lapua would make 25-06 brass. I ask all the time, but it doesn't sound promising. You could neck down the Lapua 30-06, but that's a long way and would require turning it. That would be my only complaint, and it is a small one with the performance I get out of mine.
Sent you a PM.

Update…..

Since my last posting I got my 6-06 AI to go 3400 fps with 90 gr Sierra gamechangers…. Gnarly little bullet! The 108 eldm is a very good bullet but I wanted a little bit more speed (no reason other than MORE SPEED) and I got under 1/2" at 100 yds with my very first load. I've shot heaps of goats and sheep with a handful of axis deer along with some feral cattle and I built my 240 wby…. Because MORE SPEED! Lol

So far my 240 wby been fast as expected and even surprisingly easy to load for, but just from testing the 240 wby it might not be as fast as the 6-06 AI. I'm currently playing with some Berger 105 hybrids, Hornady 103 eldx and Hornady 90 eldx with each way under MOA @100 yds. I just gotta chronograph my bullets and go from there. I've actually been hunting with some 95 gr Nosler ballistic tips and after sighting it in @ 200 yds I've shot a few sheep out to 350 yds without doping so it's fast!!

I've got the 6mm bug and I'm building a 6-6.5 PRC and a 6-284 as we speak. Both preferred barrels prefit for a tikka so when I burn these barrels out I can just spin a new one on or if I don't like it just spin it off with minimal losses. I'm hoping I can just use my 6.5 PRC and 284 dies with just the bushing and stem changes…. If not then custom dies will be on my Christmas wish list 🤣.

Happy Holidays brothers!! Aloha

Last edited:
6.5-06 or 6-284 Win? I kind of like the 6.5-06 starting with brass... with that said; there comes the... why? when there's the .240 Wby Mag that's a great 6mm in a long action. I'm not taking anything away from the 6-284 Win its a great and proven cartridge in the hunting field. Just my quick thought on it... Cheers

6.5-06 or 6-284 Win? I kind of like the 6.5-06 starting with brass... with that said; there comes the... why? when there's the .240 Wby Mag that's a great 6mm in a long action. I'm not taking anything away from the 6-284 Win its a great and proven cartridge in the hunting field. Just my quick thought on it... Cheers
Aloha!

I will soon find out!! I think the 284 might be more efficient, plus it's from a tikka so feeding won't be an issue. Both can load long if needed and brass is readily accessible. Other than that it might be down to what makes you tingle inside. I mean both has its issues you gotta deal with like sizing down and sometimes turning your necks depending on what brass you buy. Out of the 3 none sticks out as a clear winner. I mean the 240 wby is the easy button… load and shoot. The others have to size down and maybe turn necks. But I can't say for sure until I get to load and shoot the 6-284 as I only have theory and that doesn't do anybody any good. I try to go off of facts and my own experiences because I've been wrong many times before.

Happy Holidays and enjoy your weekend brother! Aloha

Aloha!

I will soon find out!! I think the 284 might be more efficient, plus it's from a tikka so feeding won't be an issue. Both can load long if needed and brass is readily accessible. Other than that it might be down to what makes you tingle inside. I mean both has its issues you gotta deal with like sizing down and sometimes turning your necks depending on what brass you buy. Out of the 3 none sticks out as a clear winner. I mean the 240 wby is the easy button… load and shoot. The others have to size down and maybe turn necks. But I can't say for sure until I get to load and shoot the 6-284 as I only have theory and that doesn't do anybody any good. I try to go off of facts and my own experiences because I've been wrong many times before.

Happy Holidays and enjoy your weekend brother! Aloha
True the 6-284 Win is a more efficient 6mm racer... but... the .240 Wby Mag... has a certain charisma associated with it besides the name and history, and its a proven performer. Just my 0.2 Cheers

OP here...This is where I ended up... the Mauser became a .284 Win.

I think that the 6-284 is my favorite cartridge. It helps that i'm running mine out of a long action though. 107smk's @ 3500fps until I ran out of boolits. I started loading the 112 Match Burners but I started tearing the jackets off of them anywhere near 3400fps & they seemed a bit explosive on game. I've since switched over to the 95 LRX.

I don't think a guy could go wrong with either one but, my vote is 6-284.

t

I am really considering a build for the 6 MM Sherman Max, but waiting on the dies and brass to become available. It is supposed to push the 115s up to 3600 in a 26" bbl and slow powders. 7 1/2 twist. That, my friends, is a pronghorns worst nightmare!!!!!

I think that the 6-284 is my favorite cartridge. It helps that i'm running mine out of a long action though. 107smk's @ 3500fps until I ran out of boolits. I started loading the 112 Match Burners but I started tearing the jackets off of them anywhere near 3400fps & they seemed a bit explosive on game. I've since switched over to the 95 LRX.

I don't think a guy could go wrong with either one but, my vote is 6-284
I've run the 112s as slow as 3150fps and the jackets still sling off

I've got the 80 grain TTSX loaded in my 240 wby now, zeroed at 200 yards, chrono @ 3710 fps.
Haven't had the chance to shoot something with them yet, maybe one day this week.
Gary
Well, I got a shot yesterday afternoon with the 240.
Nothing really to note other than I was surprised that the medium sized doe actually caught that 80 grain TTSX that was launched @ that speed. She was quartering at a hard angle to me and I shot her in the neck at about 105 yards, the bullet passed into her offside shoulder and did not exit. Of course, she hit the ground with the crack of the 240 and the whomp of the impact. I could feel the damage inside on that shoulder and it felt like a tennis ball sized hole, but I couldn't find the bullet. I have a friend that is going to do the butchering and hopefully he finds what's left of the bullet. I'd be surprised if it was able to keep any of those petals, but it will be interesting to see.

Recent Posts