Small Rifle Primers

idcwby

Not to hijack another thread, but it got me thinking. What is the most powder you can reliably ignite with small rifle primers?

Are the magnum primers going to be able to light more or they just better with ball powder? Thanks for the replies.
Yeah that's been the experience with some people. They noticed some hangfires with SRP and ball powders during cold weather. Not always and it depended on flash hole size. If you had a SRP brass but standard flash hole size then it wasn't as big of a problem. Otherwise most found that magnum primers helped in cold weather with ball powders.

W748 with 50gr and 125r Ballistic tips, CCI 41's, almost heavenly groupings. Not sure where ya heard the danger logic, pretty standard stuff.

W748 with 50gr and 125r Ballistic tips, CCI 41's, almost heavenly groupings. Not sure where ya heard the danger logic, pretty standard stuff.
If your load works well that's fine. I'm assuming a 308 Win with those 125 BT's. The CCI 41's are "optimized" for ball powders so I expect a hotter primer. In any case if it works well for you I wouldn't suggest changing it. I've noticed with TAC and even a Rem 9 1/2 I've had a slight hangfire in cold weather. Not bad, just a slight delay. Most probably wouldn't notice it but I do and can hear it in my videos. It doesn't happen with Fed 210's.

What causes the belief that SRP are more accurate than LRP? Can you drill out the flash hole on the brass to make sure it's adequate size?

What causes the belief that SRP are more accurate than LRP? Can you drill out the flash hole on the brass to make sure it's adequate size?
I think originally that small flash hole caused lower SD's but I really don't know. I guess you could drill out the flash hole but I just researched which srp brass had larger flash holes. I wanted the best SD's but placed more value on good ignition for hunting rounds.

Not to hijack another thread, but it got me thinking. What is the most powder you can reliably ignite with small rifle primers?
As much as you want…just because it is smaller in cup size does not mean that the priming pellet is smaller or less energetic as a large primer.
I run 6.5x47 SRP, 22-250 SRP, 22-250AI SRP, 222 Rem and 17 Rem SRP. Depending on what the load tells me, not some book magic, I either run a standard or magnum primer regardless of powder type used. Have never had a misfire or hang fire in freezing temps…not once.

Cheers.

As much as you want…just because it is smaller in cup size does not mean that the priming pellet is smaller or less energetic as a large primer.
I run 6.5x47 SRP, 22-250 SRP, 22-250AI SRP, 222 Rem and 17 Rem SRP. Depending on what the load tells me, not some book magic, I either run a standard or magnum primer regardless of powder type used. Have never had a misfire or hang fire in freezing temps…not once.

Cheers.
Ever run a case that had 60grain+ capacity with a SRP?