Small Rifle Primers

I thought the issue was with Lapua brass because of the smaller flash hole. Here are some more articles about it.

I purchased Starline SRP brass for my 260 AI. I believe Starline SRP brass already comes with a larger flash hole. How that affects SD's or strength I don't know.

When or if Lapua brass comes available I may get some too and leave the flash hole alone. I'll just use those in the summer, or with a favorable powder/ primer combination.

Running thousands of rounds of 40-42grs of H4350 in my three 6.5x47L's and a 6.5CM(SR brass) and using CCI BR4's and 450's, I've never had any ignition issues. I have not used larger charge weights with SR Brass. For cold weather hunting I use the hotter 450's.

I double checked my Starline brass. It's LRP. Starline makes 6.5 CM brass SRP with standard flash hole size. I'll have to look for some Peterson brass or Lapua srp for my 260 AI. Or maybe I'll get another barrel with a diffrent cartridge for SRP. a 7mm SAW or 7-08. 6.5x47 like Greyfox's has caught my attention for awhile. If I could find some 22-250 SRP that would be a done deal.

I will have to keep my eyes open for some of them myself. If I find some. I will let you know.
Thanks Buddy! I played with the idea of sizing down some 22 CM brass to 22-250. People ask "why would you do that?". Which I understand. I have 22-250 dies and the 22-250 case is a little more economical on powder than the 22 CM. Plus I have a ton of standard 22-250 cases.

I'm jealous of those 22-250 srp brass. I think they're discontinued.
Luckily for me I have several hundred of each…I bought them up whenever I found them in stock.
The small flash hole has never been proven to be the issue. I accidentally altered 100 222 cases (Lapua) and the groups opened up tremendously, I now have flash hole de-burrers that have Europe and US sized cutters. Changing the size alters the group size because it changes the case pressurisation at ignition, well and truly traceable using the pressure trace.

Cheers.

My SRP use is with - .20P, .204R, .223, 6mm CM & 6.5 CM. Ball powders used are CFE223, R-S Hunter & Staball.

I use CCI 41's & Rem 7 1/2's mostly.
I used CCI 41's with my 6.5X47 Lapua with Re 15 & Varget. I spun my Lee decap pin in a cordless and ground it down with a Dremel to preserve the small flash hole.

I avoid using ball powder charges over 28 grains with SRP that limits their use to .20P, .204R & .223 - just me, others may have no problems.
No charge weight problems with extruded powders & CCI41's, like up to 44 grains or SW4350 in 6mm & 6.5 CM - performance like LRP.

CCI 41's are used to load zillions of 5.56 rounds used in all sorts of conditions with a variety of powders.

An exception may be the frisky little Rem 7 1/2, it has done well in the 6.5 CM with up to 47 grains of R-S Hunter & 120 grain bullets, performance approaches 6.5-06. CCI 41's have produced big velocity spreads with the same components & conditions.

More info on the frisky Rem 7 1/2 - Table 1:

Apparently, they put a lot of explosive mix in the 7 1/2.

Last edited:
My SRP use is with - .20P, .204R, .223, 6mm CM & 6.5 CM. Ball powders used are CFE223, R-S Hunter & Staball.

I use CCI 41's & Rem 7 1/2's mostly.
I used CCI 41's with my 6.5X47 Lapua with Re 15 & Varget. I spun my Lee decap pin in a cordless and ground it down with a Dremel to preserve the small flash hole.

I avoid using ball powder charges over 28 grains with SRP that limits their use to .20P, .204R & .223 - just me, others may have no problems.
No charge weight problems with extruded powders & CCI41's, like up to 44 grains or SW4350 in 6mm & 6.5 CM - performance like LRP.

CCI 41's are used to load zillions of 5.56 rounds used in all sorts of conditions with a variety of powders.

An exception may be the frisky little Rem 7 1/2, it has done well in the 6.5 CM with up to 47 grains of R-S Hunter & 120 grain bullets, performance approaches 6.5-06. CCI 41's have produced big velocity spreads with the same components & conditions.

More info on the frisky Rem 7 1/2 - Table 1:

Apparently, they put a lot of explosive mix in the 7 1/2.
I don't understand why you would limit SRP use with 28grains of ball powder. In my 22-250 and 22-250AI, I run 40+ grains of 760 with no issues. In fact, I've been waiting for SRP 7-08 brass…

Cheers.

Ever run a case that had 60grain+ capacity with a SRP?
Point me to a case with SRP and a capacity of 60+ grains and I'll test it. If a 308 Win case, and all those cases based off it, can use SRP without issue, then what makes you believe a SRP CANNOT ignite 60+ grains of powder?
If your belief hangs on the fact that cold weather influences ignition…guess what, LRP has the same issue with some BRANDS, which has nothing to do with the primers size.

Cheers.
P.S. I have been testing primers over pressure testing equipment for years, Their brisance, not the size, is what's relevant.

Last edited:
Point me to a case with SRP and a capacity of 60+ grains and I'll test it. If a 308 Win case, and all those cases based off it, can use SRP without issue, then what makes you believe a SRP CANNOT ignite 60+ grains of powder?
If your belief hangs on the fact that cold weather influences ignition…guess what, LRP has the same issue with some BRANDS, which has nothing to do with the primers size.

Cheers.
P.S. I have been testing primers over pressure testing equipment for years, Their brisance, not the size, is what's relevant.
I never said anything about hang fires. I'm just trying to learn more about it. SRP were for 223 Rem style cartridges when I got into reloading and LRP were for everything else basically. Times have changed and now you're seeing SRP brass on cartridges that use to be LRP only. Just trying to understand what changed and see how it works. After all the shortages, it would be nice to have a rifle or two that is in the 50gr capacity that uses SRP, to have the ability to shoot more if that's all the components you can get. Just trying to get all the information I can about before getting a rifle and/or a barrel for a cartridge I can use SRP in.

I never said anything about hang fires. I'm just trying to learn more about it. SRP were for 223 Rem style cartridges when I got into reloading and LRP were for everything else basically. Times have changed and now you're seeing SRP brass on cartridges that use to be LRP only. Just trying to understand what changed and see how it works. After all the shortages, it would be nice to have a rifle or two that is in the 50gr capacity that uses SRP, to have the ability to shoot more if that's all the components you can get. Just trying to get all the information I can about before getting a rifle and/or a barrel for a cartridge I can use SRP in.
That's how I view it. SRP gives me flexibility for cartridges like the 308 Win, 260 AI and so on.