Best (sturdiest) small rifle deprimer?

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by The Oregonian, Oct 23, 2018.

1. The Oregonian

The Oregonian Well-Known Member

Have been through 2 stems in 250 rounds and tired of them breaking...another $15 and a week to get here. Reviews in midway seem to show many others with the same issue. Not saying it couldn’t be me, but it is a pretty simple process.

Anyone have any luck with any others?

2. Barrelnut

Barrelnut Well-Known Member

I use the Lee decapping die. Even have the pin sanded down a bit for the small flash hole on Lapua brass. Probably 4 thousand primers removed and haven't broken it yet. That is probably because I bought a spare to keep with it, just incase.

Dosh, jasonco and just country like this.
  3. Schnyd112

Schnyd112 Well-Known Member

Keep your finger on the brass to make sure it is all the way against the back of the shell holder as you run the ram up and slow down a little. It doesn’t take much pressure to push out a primer. If it isn’t lined up right you should feel it before you bust the pin.

I broke 1 pretty quick so ordered a few extras. Broke a second and had to rethink my approach. Haven’t broke a third, yet.

4. Deputy819

Deputy819 Well-Known Member

+1 on the Lee decapper. Used on Winchester and Lapua brass with zero problems.

just country likes this.
  5. WildRose

WildRose Well-Known Member

Get one of these and never look back. I use the same die on six or eight different calibers and have yet to break one.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/136543/lee-universal-depriming-and-decapping-die

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
  6. MudRunner2005

MudRunner2005 Well-Known Member

This is the last decapping die you will need to buy. It will do everything from 5.7x28 up to RUM cartridges. It's the strongest and sturdiest decap die I've ever used. The Mighty Armory Magnum 100 decapping die. You can even pick your own color. It has a quick-change pin design, and you can even buy .055" pins for Lapua brass (smaller flash holes) and .357 Sig brass (also uses small flash holes). I bought a whole extra rod w/ a .055" pin on it, for quick-change between .070" (standard) and .055 brass, and it works great.

https://www.mightyarmory.com/collec...m-100-universal-decapping-die-for-all-presses

https://www.mightyarmory.com/collections/made-in-the-usa/products/decapping-punch-top

Spent years using the RCBS universal decapping dies, and kept breaking pins. Then, early this year I discovered Mighty Armory. We also used the MA decap dies where I used to work, so I've talked to Wayne several times at my last job, trying to get a pin design nailed-down for stubborn primers in cheap import brass being ran in AP presses. He's a good dude, with an excellent product, and stands behind his products 100%. Also, his new sizing dies are very nice. We got one of the .223 dies in right before I left.

jasonco likes this.
  7. WildRose

WildRose Well-Known Member

RCBS decaping problems are why I went back to Lee and Hornady, Later Redding.

Pure junk.

8. MudRunner2005

Rose, couldn't agree more. The RCBS dies are not the worst I've seen, but the pin design is very weak. You should try a Mighty Armory die... It's insane how strong they are, and how much decapping power they have. We were popping 9mm caps at over 3,500 CPH on a Mark 7 Revolution machine. Most folks just think that's only plate speed, but it also increases the ram & tool head speed. And when you increase press speed, you also increase applied force per stroke.

9. The Oregonian

I may have to try that. I have a Lee for regular primer pockets but need a Lapua small hole decapper. Thx for the info.

Edit - ordered.:)

MudRunner2005 likes this.
  10. MudRunner2005

You'll enjoy it. You might even enjoy it so much, that you'll order a spare rod with a standard .070" pin on it for all your other cartridges with standard size flash holes. :D

11. jasonco

jasonco Well-Known Member

Did the same on my Lee Decapper when I got a Peterson SRP cases.

12. Ingwe

Ingwe Well-Known Member

I use a Harvey Deprimer

13. rfd

rfd Well-Known Member

a huge +1 on the harvey deprimer. have had mine for over a decade and use it almost weekly to deprime .45-70 bp cases as well as .223, .45acp, .347mag. i've tried a gaggle of other deprimers but none can compare to the harvey. ymmv.

Ingwe likes this.
  14. The Oregonian

I do have the standard pin but the Lee die I have works for that and i don’t have to switch anything out. This thing is on a different level than the RCBS/Redding/etc. built like a brick shithouse.