Sightron warranty warning!

This is what separates great optics companies from good ones. Leupold and Vortex seem to just take good care of you. Lots of other companies, like sightron apparently, avoid it all costs. I know some people say buy a scope that will never need a warranty because they are built like a tank. Life happens, horses roll over on them, we drop them, or they fall off an atv etc. a company who is willing to cover our stupidy is worth its weight in gold. Right now, Leupold and Vortex have my business. Sightron will never have mine after reading this.

G'day from the land of oz!

Cautionary tale here gents, So a couple of years ago I purchased a sightron s2 4-16x42 scope. It was mounted on a 17HMR rifle carefully. The scope was always a tad sticky on the mag ring but nothing that made me too suspect.

Well over the next couple of years the binding increased gradually to the point where it wouldn't allow me to go to the minimum mag at all. I was convinced by a mate to send it back because this shouldn't be happening. Also the rifle was never dropped or dinged in any way that made me suspicious of damage.

So off it goes back to sightron through my supplier, Just for me to receive that the scope is bent 1/4 inch out of spec and it cannot be repaired and as the scope is no longer made cannot be replaced.

The offer I received was for a STAC scope at a slightly discounted rate (wholesale price most likely) but this scope is 30mm and my rifle has 1 inch rings.

Further emails have basically seen them dust their hands of me.

My suggestion for folks thinking of a sightron is I suggest you find another company with a more flexible and understand warranty.

Seeya!

First I do not see how the scope could have gotten bent 1/4" due to a defect. Second I am not sure what you would desire Sightron to do when the scope is no longer made and yours is not repairable. I think offering a discount on another scope is a great solution to the problem.

First I do not see how the scope could have gotten bent 1/4" due to a defect. Second I am not sure what you would desire Sightron to do when the scope is no longer made and yours is not repairable. I think offering a discount on another scope is a great solution to the problem.

I think its reasonable to offer a current model, but to only give a slight discount on the new model is weak compared to other customer service and warranties offered today.

I think its reasonable to offer a current model, but to only give a slight discount on the new model is weak compared to other customer service and warranties offered today.

We will have to agree to disagree. I do understand companies like Vortex have the VIP warranty and that is fine. I would refer you to the Tommy Boy saying. I would never expect a company to send me a free scope because I bent mine. I have had several problems with Vortex and yes their warranty is awesome but I would rather just have a scope were I didn't need the warranty. I have had 3 SIIIs for years with no problem and sadly they did have a few accidents but still functioned flawlessly. Sightron states their warranty very clearly. If that does not work for you don't buy one. I just can't see griping about it after the fact.

This is what separates great optics companies from good ones. Leupold and Vortex seem to just take good care of you. Lots of other companies, like sightron apparently, avoid it all costs. I know some people say buy a scope that will never need a warranty because they are built like a tank. Life happens, horses roll over on them, we drop them, or they fall off an atv etc. a company who is willing to cover our stupidy is worth its weight in gold. Right now, Leupold and Vortex have my business. Sightron will never have mine after reading this.

Absolutely incorrect. What separates good companies from great ones is never needing a warranty. I do not think companies are going to miss guys who expect free stuff because you broke your stuff.

Absolutely incorrect. What separates good companies from great ones is never needing a warranty. I do not think companies are going to miss guys who expect free stuff because you broke your stuff.

Crap happens man - I hunt in rugged country. I have never sent back a vortex scope for manufacturer defects. I did have a horse roll down a hill during an elk hunt with my 300 rum strapped to it wearing a Vortex HSLR scope. Got to cell service and called Vortex - they overnighted a scope to a hotel in the town closest to me. Told me to send them the busted scope when my hunt was over. My hunt could have been ruined. They saved it for me. Name another company that will do that.

in spite of everything the op has said, the scope IS BENT.
they do not come from the factory bent.
the factory has bent over backwards to for a non-covered "defect".
someones shorts are in a knot, but it is NOT a factory issue.
I think the lesson here is if you want the company to replace the scope regardless of what happens to it, buy a scope from a company that offers that kind of warranty. It is the new standard in optics warranties. There are plenty of companies with Vortex type warranties today. Leupold's customer service is also awesome.

I have a hard time with the concept that no matter how I take care of my "stuff" that the manufacturer is responsible at their cost to fix or replace my accidents or abuse.
It is a nice bonus though.

I remember when I was a kid and I fell on my Weaver 3x damaging it. I put it in a box with a note explaining what had happened. They sent me a new one. Still have it on a 22lr.

I do not disagree with the last two statements but it will never be at the top of my priorities list when choosing a scope especially after my experiences with said scopes.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts