Sig wins contract with the 277 fury

I understand the confusion here with the 277 Fury. If I had not had the experiences, mentoring, and read so many articles on ballistics I would be confused about the 1:7" twist choice for the Fury. I will ask this, what is the twist rate of the barrels that shoot the 5.56NATO, 55 grain slugs the best at 1,000 yards?
The answer is 1:7" shoots the 55 grain 223 best at 1,000 yards. the military tested it out and came up with the 1:7" was king of shooting the long yardages with the 55 grain projos. the physics behind it are these as I have read it and experienced it myself. the slower the slug goes the faster the twist rate needs to be to stabilize it. all sub-sonic 30 calibers are 1:7" twist rates. now when the 55 grain .224" projo is going from super to sub sonic out there it needs to be spinning faster to keep it stabilized. the same thing can be said for the 277 fury. if you go long yardage with a 90 through 135 grain slug, it should be spinning faster to keep it stable. I have been advocating for faster twist factory rifle barels for 25 or more years. I have found in my own experience that faster twist barrels for longer yardage hunting, shooting and target are superior. that is why when I had a good hunting rifle made back in 2002; I had the wildcat barreled with a 1:7" twist over the standard 1:10" the 270 winchesters and 270 weatherby's were saddled with. I can tell you this for a fact, the 140 and 150 grain Barnes slugs flew straighter & farther than I ever expected. the 160 grain Barnes originals flew so much better, the Hornady 150 grain SST slugs were far more effective at distance, and no VLD slug was off my list of projos I could shoot.
My old 300 Win Mag got a new 1:8" twist barrel and even though it was an ER Shaw, I put it on myself with a bit of help from a standard piece of brass for a gauge; the 1:8" ER Shaw barrel shot 190 grain Berger VLD's so much better than my 1:10" barrel. Until that year I thought that just because it was rated for the weight/length of slug it was the best. I was very wrong.
things like "Marginal stabilization" came up in calculations, "insufficient twist for stabilizing this slug" came up in computer models of interior and exterior ballistic programs. I was not ammused by this.. then I tested it all out in the real world.. I took a friends 1:8" 300 win mag, my own in 1:10" and shot the same exact loads (190 grain Sierra Match Kings, 68.2 grains of H-1000 powder, prepped Lapua brass, magnum Federal Match Large Rifle primers). My friend's 1:8" twist barrel just shot the 190 grain slugs better than my 1:10" even though the 1:10" tecnically is rated it was so marginal that if it slowed 300 FPS the slug destabilized. the problem I had suffered through was insuffient twist of my barrel. now it is my opinion that if you go faster on the twist, you can not go wrong.

I think you have a very small sample size and are making a lot of assumptions.

awful lot of longrange benchrest rifles shooting 30 cals with a 10 twist..

edit* I'm not sure how you got a output of marginal stability bergers own calculator shows fully stable with a 190vld and 10 twist with as low as 1500 fps muzzle velocity at sea level??

Last edited by a moderator:
I will just wait an see, and let others suffer the consequences. I have been wrong many times, but I think the problems will out weigh any advantage. I wish they would spend the money and research on a Laser weapon for our solders that has no trajectory and doesn't need ammo at all. No Gunsmiths at all, just a electronic technician for repairs. ;)

J E CUSTOM

" Mr. Scott and Mr. Sulu , set your Phasors on stun mode . We can't afford to kill an Alien and start an inter-gallactic war. "
" Kirk and Enterprise , out ."

340, imagine your 340 running at 80 K !

It might be there already , or very close .
My brother's Mark V , .340 WBY. Magnum , 26" barrel , with Wby. factory 250 gr. Nosler Partitions , chronographs an average of 3090 FPS , regularly .
But , NO hard bolt lift , no ejector marks , no blown primers .
Built by Weatherby Custom Shop . FANTASTIC accuracy .

I understand the confusion here with the 277 Fury. If I had not had the experiences, mentoring, and read so many articles on ballistics I would be confused about the 1:7" twist choice for the Fury. I will ask this, what is the twist rate of the barrels that shoot the 5.56NATO, 55 grain slugs the best at 1,000 yards?
The answer is 1:7" shoots the 55 grain 223 best at 1,000 yards. the military tested it out and came up with the 1:7" was king of shooting the long yardages with the 55 grain projos. the physics behind it are these as I have read it and experienced it myself. the slower the slug goes the faster the twist rate needs to be to stabilize it. all sub-sonic 30 calibers are 1:7" twist rates. now when the 55 grain .224" projo is going from super to sub sonic out there it needs to be spinning faster to keep it stabilized. the same thing can be said for the 277 fury. if you go long yardage with a 90 through 135 grain slug, it should be spinning faster to keep it stable. I have been advocating for faster twist factory rifle barels for 25 or more years. I have found in my own experience that faster twist barrels for longer yardage hunting, shooting and target are superior. that is why when I had a good hunting rifle made back in 2002; I had the wildcat barreled with a 1:7" twist over the standard 1:10" the 270 winchesters and 270 weatherby's were saddled with. I can tell you this for a fact, the 140 and 150 grain Barnes slugs flew straighter & farther than I ever expected. the 160 grain Barnes originals flew so much better, the Hornady 150 grain SST slugs were far more effective at distance, and no VLD slug was off my list of projos I could shoot.
My old 300 Win Mag got a new 1:8" twist barrel and even though it was an ER Shaw, I put it on myself with a bit of help from a standard piece of brass for a gauge; the 1:8" ER Shaw barrel shot 190 grain Berger VLD's so much better than my 1:10" barrel. Until that year I thought that just because it was rated for the weight/length of slug it was the best. I was very wrong.
things like "Marginal stabilization" came up in calculations, "insufficient twist for stabilizing this slug" came up in computer models of interior and exterior ballistic programs. I was not ammused by this.. then I tested it all out in the real world.. I took a friends 1:8" 300 win mag, my own in 1:10" and shot the same exact loads (190 grain Sierra Match Kings, 68.2 grains of H-1000 powder, prepped Lapua brass, magnum Federal Match Large Rifle primers). My friend's 1:8" twist barrel just shot the 190 grain slugs better than my 1:10" even though the 1:10" tecnically is rated it was so marginal that if it slowed 300 FPS the slug destabilized. the problem I had suffered through was insuffient twist of my barrel. now it is my opinion that if you go faster on the twist, you can not go wrong.

Although I agree with the notion of faster twists lead to better stabilization. It is the caliber diameter and bearing surface length of the bullet as well as the muzzle velocity that dictates the correct twist rate.
The construction of the bullet can also often dictate the max spin rate. Lead core bullets will blow up after exiting the barrel if the spin rate is too high. Accuracy is nil if the bullet never reaches the target. Copper or brass bullets can handle the centrifuged loads better But most hunting loads have a lead core design. One has to keep this in mind. Are we talking hunting or competition shooting? What class of bullet are we using? Is it for long range big game hunting or shooting varmints?
I'm also seeing it mentioned that Sig is using a 7 twist and would really like to know from where that info came from? From what I understand Sig will be using a 8.5 twist for the 277 Fury in theIr Cross rifle. Now if we are talking about shooting the 170 Berger then I would agree the 7 twist would be the optimum choice. The 8.5 twist should work great for the 150 grain bullets on down.

Anyone who believes a suppressor will save your hearing on a 3000 fps .277 bullet will be deaf.

I have a "mere" 20" 308 I shoot with a can. Muffs are still needed.
Not so much the speed it's the pressures. Probably need a can then a blast diffuser on the end (like a SF warden). Obviously designed for folks who wear muffs all the time.

Not so much the speed it's the pressures. Probably need a can then a blast diffuser on the end (like a SF warden). Obviously designed for folks who wear muffs all the time.

Well actually for the military it really is about the speed too!. The new lightweight body armor that Russia and China have developed for their military requires a higher velocity to get thru it. From what I understand It's in the vicinity of 3000 fps ithat's needed to get the job done..... and yes, ear muffs will be very much needed!

Ok , what about barrel life what are/could they treat a barrel with to give a barrel high round counts with hot high pressure loads?

There are barrel treatments and materials to combat throat erosion. I think you will also have to consider that easily removable barrels will likely be the way to go for the Fury as opposed to the classic screwed on action type of barrel.

I wonder what kind of speeds we will see from 24-26" barrels? usually the smaller cartridges are in the neighborhood of 25fps/inch --that would make it around 3300 fps from a 26" for a 140 grain, which puts it right in the same vicinity if not just a bit more than the 270wsm/270wby but not quite a NOZ

Last edited: