Shoulder bump for hunting??

Just barely enuf to chamber the round. But I prefer to FL brass for hunting. The advantage to bumping is negligible.

whatever works for YOU. every shooter has a different standard of "good" some consider 1/2MOA good enuf, all the way to "MOBD" "minute of barn door".
use what works best in YOUR rifle .

Short answer: 0.001 - 0.002" for long range hunting, which is the name of this Forum.

For dangerous game taken at closer-in ranges, there will be additional responses.

Enough that the rounds will RELIABLY chamber when needed. Whether its a follow-up shot or a shot on something more dangerous coming after you, you don't want to be fighting a tight round in the heat of the moment. Usually around .002" is sufficient, but YMMV.

... I prefer to FL brass for hunting. The advantage to bumping is negligible.

Ditto. I FL resize and the shoulder set back is about .0015. That assures me that when the s... hits the fan my load will chamber. I've tried the "no bump" procedure and, while most of the rounds chambered just fine, I had a few that were stubborn and for those that were not "bumped" I found no accuracy advantage. Just bumping the shoulder back without additional attention to case resizing has likewise been without benefit in my experience.
I FL resize the same way for competition as for hunting.

What they said... ^^^^ if your at all concerned check them for positive chambering before taking them in the field. Personally .002 on ALL my loads, target or hunting.

What they said... ^^^^ if your at all concerned check them for positive chambering before taking them in the field. Personally .002 on ALL my loads, target or hunting.

Great idea. I do this with my hunting brass before I even put primers in it. Just run them thru the chamber and verify all is ok. I bump .002 by full length sizing

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.