Should I rebarrel my rifle?

Should I rebarrel my 6.5prc?

• Total voters

OG-danimal

Here's the deal, I have a suppressed 6.5 prc with a 24" tube. It's a pleasure to shoot, and is consistent and accurate… but, its a little unruly to carry on my backpack hunts and I feel a little undergunned for elk… I've only shot deer and bears with it, never an elk. So my question to you guys is should I re barrel it to make an all purpose, all game hunting rifle? I'll be shooting suppressed and shooting game no further than 600 but want the ability to take a follow up shots out to about 800. So, what do you all think?
I don't have the funds for another high dollar rifle so that's why I'm not buying a new rifle

What's your longest shots for elk going to be? Under 500 or you wanting to stretch it out to 800-1000 yards? The 6.5 prc is a very good elk cartridge under 500-600 yards. If it's too long to carry with the suppressor, you can take some barrel length off. Or re-barrel just for something new.

I assume your barrel is CF? Otherwise chop. 7PRC with a 20" barrel would be the easy button for sure…

The 6.5 PRC is PLENTY for Elk, ( to 800- 900 Yds ) with, the RIGHT Bullet, I'd just, Live with,.. IT !
I'd Pitch, the silly, long-asszz, Suppressor and put, a Shorter, 3 port, Brake,.. on IT ( and Wear, Plugs !! ).
About, 4 inches of your "Problem",.. SOLVED !
He said he wanted to upgrade, not downgrade by putting on a muzzle brake! 😜

Buy a shorter can.
TBAC Dominus or TBAC Ultra 5. Done. No velocity loss, same price as a new CF barrel spun up, and frees up your other can for another rifle. Win/win/win.
20230908_083216.jpg

Well, occasionally, I carry my 28" tube 260AI for elk hunting, so I can't say the 6.5 PRC is "under gunned" if one uses the right bullets and makes good hits.

Personally if you like the way it shoots, and it sounds as if you do, I would either look at another, shorter can, or just go with a break (That's what I have on the 260AI). Confidence in shot placement and the right bullets goes a long ways.

It's a pleasure to shoot, and is consistent and accurate…
Just based on those few words, I'd leave the 6.5 as is.
Enjoy it!

I don't have the funds for another high dollar rifle so that's why I'm not buying a new rifle
While you're enjoying the money you saved NOT messing with a proven performer, start putting your spare change towards something else.
Keep an eye out on LRH for a good deal on a slightly used rifle that is also a proven performer in a more elk friendly caliber.
There are some great deals to be had if you show some patience.

He said he wanted to upgrade, not downgrade by putting on a muzzle brake! 😜
🤣 Actually, he never said "upgrade"…
Here's the deal, I have a suppressed 6.5 prc with a 24" tube. It's a pleasure to shoot, and is consistent and accurate… but, its a little unruly to carry on my backpack hunts and I feel a little undergunned for elk… I've only shot deer and bears with it, never an elk. So my question to you guys is should I re barrel it to make an all purpose, all game hunting rifle? I'll be shooting suppressed and shooting game no further than 600 but want the ability to take a follow up shots out to about 800. So, what do you all think?

Your cartridge and rifle are both capable of an ELK Hunt hands down!!!
No need to build a new RIFLE.
If you have some extra funds do this:
If you feel that your 6.5 PRC rifle suppressed is "Unruly" to carry and under gunned, just hire some Porters to carry your equipment and a guide to shoot for you...
No follow up shots needed plus they can Field Dress & Cape your Trophy and carry it back to camp.
Issues solved!

**Edit**
Most of my post was a little bit of humor.

Last edited:

Recent Posts