Should I dump my 280ai?

Palix-Dog

My dilemma, I have a Kimber M84 Hunter in 280 AI. I am very intrigued by the 7mm Prc. I like the idea of shooting heaver bullets for elk. The Kimber is 1:9.5 twist.
The question is do I keep the Kimber or trade it for a 7mm prc?

Imo, the performance difference will be minimal but the prc should have a little more gas for heavies and is throated for such.

The 9.5 twist is your limiting factor. I'd opt for an 8.5.

FWIW, I'm running a 20 inch 7 Saum with an 8.5 twist and 180 hybrids at 2840.

You didn't say if you're looking for a factory or custom. Be ware if looking custom that barrels are hard to come by if your Smith doesn't have it on hand.

2,950 to 3,000 FPS is doable out of a 24 inch, 7 PRC, Proof bbl with, 180's and StaBall HD powder if, that help's.
Two turns on, his Zeiss, V-4 30mm 4.5 x16 Conquest gets my son out to, 1,500 yards, on Steel.
And 180 gr. ELD-M's in the .3's to, .4's with the X, Bullet Load.
He used his old Tikka T-3 action and Stock + New Scope, PVA Brake, Proof Barrel and adjustable Comb for, a Total Rifle / Scope cost of, Sub,.. $2,100.
And it will shoot with,.. most Customs

Last edited:
Tikka, "May" be, chambering, the T-3's, in 7 PRC
Something to, think about if, you can,.. wait !
Accurate, High BC Bullets with, a LOW amount of, "Wind Drift", were my son's,.."Reasons" for building, a 7 PRC

Last edited:
What I do in situations like this:

Open a ballistics calculator and input your current bullet, velocity, etc.

Open it and put in the expected ballistics of the caliber you are looking at going to.

Compare the two charts. Use a maximum point blank range if that's your style hunting. If you are going longer range stuff look at drop charts to some extent, but especially wind drift.

I think between the two you are looking at you may find it's not worth the additional coin to change. Unless you really just want a different gun, in which case I say go right ahead ☺️

My dilemma, I have a Kimber M84 Hunter in 280 AI. I am very intrigued by the 7mm Prc. I like the idea of shooting heaver bullets for elk. The Kimber is 1:9.5 twist.
Only you can answer that question. I have Kimber 84L in .30-06 that I had it re-chambered to .30 Gibbs. I am one of those people that I never sold any of my firearms, even with duplicates (3 .300 WMs and 2 .300 WSMs).

Shoot 150- 162 grain bullets in your 9.5 twist, Kimber and keep it for, a "Timber / Walking around', light weight, Rifle and spend, a Couple of grand to build, a Long Range,.. Elk Thumper, in 7 PRC,..
IF,.. it's in YOUR, budget

Last edited:
Keep the Kimber .280AI and buy a 7PRC. Get QD rings and use your scope for which rifle you choose for the occasion. 7PRC separates itself way down range with heavies, its new, and has impressive ballistics down range .280AI is a very efficient cartridge with considerable less recoil. You have a strong case for both.