Should I......

alloutsmith3

Over the last year I've been customizing my Savage 10 FP in 308. So far I've added a HS Precision Pro-Series 2000 stock, JP Enterprises Compensator, Dark Eagle customs large cap magaizines with extended mag release. I also have a Vortex Viper HS LR 4-16x50 scope with UTG heavy duty QD rings. The rifle shoots awesome. I was contemplating selling all but the scope/rings and picking up the new Savage 110 FCP HS Precision in 300 Win Mag. All shooting will be done from 800 yds and in with most shots being much much closer for mostly whitetail deer. I would like to possibly hunt hogs/elk/black bear/mule deer/moose some day. What would you do if you were making this decision. Thanks

IMO, I think you should stick with what you have. The .308 will do what you want. I bought a .300 wm instead of a .308, and I think I would have been better served with the .308.

If you agree with the common perception of 1500 ft lbs minimum for Elk, & Moose, the answer is obvious. There's not a .308 win out there that can deliver that amount of energy at 800 yds.

300 hands down for me. There's no Such thing as overgunned, & the case capacity opens up A LOT of doors for You. Maybe consider a 300 WSM if you wanna stick with a short action. Muzzle brakes make Recoil a non issue, & launching bigger, heavier, higher B.C. bullets at reasonable speeds that allow for downrange terminal performance, & deliver a lot more energy, is what makes a long range "hunting rifle" for "big tough game" like Elk, Moose, etc.

Personally I'd keep the 308 for a "fun gun" and general plinking and buy or build either a 300wm or 300wsm.

Of course I wouldn't put the 300Rum in the back of the bus either since you will possibly be going after elk, bear and big hogs in the future.

I can't ever remember hitting anything at long range and thinking "**** I wish I'd had a little less energy".

Disclaimer. I shoot both the .300 Rum and .300wm.

IMO, I think you should stick with what you have. The .308 will do what you want. I bought a .300 wm instead of a .308, and I think I would have been better served with the .308.
If WT Deer were the largest game he's going to hunt you'd be correct.

On larger game it's just not enough gun at long range.

Keep the 'awesome' shooting 308. . . there may not be another come your way like that one for awhile...build the next on to shoot bigger stuff...use the 308 for practice saving the 300's barrel life.

That's what I'd do...after having traded off some shooters that could never be replaced.:rolleyes:

Buy a new barrel, a barrel wrench and a go and no go gage. Then you can have a switch barrel gun.

I do not like the aesthetics of the Savages but this option keeps me considering going a similar route.

May need a new bolt head....There are some Savage guys who can enlighten us on exactly what one would need to pull this off easily.

Buy a new barrel, a barrel wrench and a go and no go gage. Then you can have a switch barrel gun.

I do not like the aesthetics of the Savages but this option keeps me considering going a similar route.

May need a new bolt head....There are some Savage guys who can enlighten us on exactly what one would need to pull this off easily.

+1, this is what I was thinking immediately after reading your post. You will have the same familiar set up with a magnum barrel. If you don't want to bother changing bolt heads, buy another Savage bolt assembly with a magnum bolt face so all you have to do is switch the bolt and barrel. Then your in business. It isn't hard to change out the Savage barrels.

Tank

Thanks for the input guys. I figure 98% of all hunting shots will be 500 yds and in. I'm really interested in exploring the barrel switch idea. As far as caliber would the 300WSM be the way to go if doing the switch barrel? Thanks

Thanks for the input guys. I figure 98% of all hunting shots will be 500 yds and in. I'm really interested in exploring the barrel switch idea. As far as caliber would the 300WSM be the way to go if doing the switch barrel? Thanks

Yep. Properly loaded the 300WSM will go to 1000yds with a 210, 215 Berger for deer size game.

Tank

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.