Should I dump my 280ai?

If you want to shoot heavier bullets for elk in 7mm, dump the rifle, get a 28 Nos. It launches 175 partitions 3200+ for short (?) range work out to 400 or so. And the 195 Bergers at ~3,100 are just in another league for ballistics & down range thump.

K thanks. I get 2850 with imr4350 and I have 8 lbs of it. But would like to get over 2950 for an elk hunt, not sure I've seen RL22 in like a couple years tho
I see Mid South Shooters Supply has RL 17 in stock. I also loaded RL 17 at max 56 gns and got just over 2900 fps. But this is a hot load in my rifle so work up slowly.

Yeah I don't know what I was thinking. A weak moment.

If I really want a 7mm prc then I should just bite the bullet and buy one.
Well I did just this. Picked up a Savage 110 Apex in 7 PRC. Sportsmans warehouse had a killer deal on them $444. This gives me a platform to build a semi-custom rifle.
Plus I still kept my Kimber for a mountain rifle.
Any recommendations for a stock and bottom metal for the Savage?

I see I am late with my response. Great deal on the Apex 7 PRC.

What I was posting when you posted your update.

There is nothing the 7 PRC or 28 Nosler will kill deader than the 280 Ackley.

Find a properly constructed bullet, develop a load around that bullet, identify the range that bullet falls below the minimum velocity for reliable expansion and below the minimum energy needed for penetration to the vitals and rock on.

Now if you are wanting a new rifle, knock yourself out, but the 280 Ackley (and a whole host of other cartridges) will do everything you need.

The 223 77gr TMK thread is plenty of evidence to back it up.

The one custom rifle I have that I will never sell is the one built around the 280 Ackley.

280 AI, 168g Berger, Bull Elk, 320 yards:

I prefer partitions and Nosler 175g LRAB, but the Berger sure did a fine job. Notice that there was no bullet impact behind the bull that we could see, but DRT will suffice in spades.

Hey, I know that guy!! lol

OP, your 9.5 twist will easily stabilize the 168 VLD that was used by my client in that video. No need to look any further.