shot my new 7mm LRM today and the brass is hard to eject help

DSMITH1651

Well just got my lrm finished and new nxs 5.5-22 scope this is my first custom so needless to say I was like a kid in a candy store. Well when I shot my first shot the bolt lift was easy but the brass won't come out of the chamber with out a good tap on the bolt backwords on the handle. All ten rounds I shot were about the same. If I let it sit for a few minutes it was harder to get it to eject.

The rounds are gunwerks factory ammo because they have no brass right now and seem to be trying to get people that need some ammo for hunts until the new brass comes in next month. I do have the stuff to reload for it.

When I got home I painted a case with a Sharpe and chamberd it and it has a double ring .4 in. from the base.
HELP I don't know what this means all I can do is guess.
Duane

That does not look good at all. Stop shooting it and call your builder/gunsmith.

I"d want them to fix the chamber and double check the head space before shooting it again.

Pack it up and send it back, they will yank the barrel and polish it out if it isn't too deep. Too deep and they can set it back a turn and clean it up. It happens from time to time but is usually caught before it gets out the door. A small chip of metal during chambering, it can leave a scratch or a gouge.

Did your gunsmith test fire the rifle? I would be very upset considering this is a custom. The smith had better put you to the front of the line. Be sure to give him some ammo for testing.

Thanks for the replys guys, would this cause two perfect rings to form on the fired case when recamberd like this? The rifle will be back at the gunsmith Tue morning. He did not shoot it no ammo from gunwerks this time he will have some. Also I ment to type semi-custom it is based off of a savage with a new bolt, barral, and stock.
Duane

To clarify this is only happens with a fired case, loaded rounds chamber and extract easily with no marks on it.
Thanks Duane

He needs to set it back, when you polish out grooves like that you just make a fat chamber then your way over sizing brass and the 7 LRM is spec'ed so you would not want a fat chamber at all. A cosmetic ring you can polish out but one that is causing a functional issue needs cut out.

There is so many problems with the 7 lrm. What velocities are you at? If you have a chronograph load your gun to hit 2970-80 and don't go much more. This is right at max pressure and you will be seeing the info coming shortly. Another thing is the brass is way out of specs and that could be causing you some trouble as well.

We've seen some of the brass come off the line with a neck thickness that is a couple thousands too thick. This makes a loaded neck with too little clearance to chamber neck. We've traced this back in the production process to one of the draw punch dies. New tooling and qc documentation is in place. For brass that has already been manufactured, we are CNC machining all the necks to ensure correct specifications. If you suspect that you may have loaded ammo that is out of spec, measure a loaded round at the neck shoulder junction. If you are over 0.318 please contact us for warranty on your product.

We have found two distinct accuracy nodes in the LRM, one at 3100 fps and one at 2975. When we adopted the standard chambering and 7LRM name we adjusted the throat to work with the 180 Berger Hybrid. That combination has not allowed us to load the faster velocity without high pressure. 3050 is achievable, but 2975 to 3000 shoots bug holes all day--its pretty hard to do something different.

Well I dropped the rifle off at the gunsmith this morning and he had it ready for me by 2 this afternoon. It did have a defect in the chamber and he re cut it some and re headspaced the rifle and test shot it and it now it works perfectly. Things don't always come out perfect and when they don't how you handle it makes all the difrance. In my book habisch outdoors did a grate job. Now to find a load that it loves.

On a side note gunwerks has been super to deal with even though they were not the ones building the rifle. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a rifle from them If I had the cash. Thank you gunwerks.
Duane.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.